Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MAC to Launch Marilyn Monroe Collection in Autumn 2012

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I typically don't care for that either, DigThatBeat. However, with Marilyn, I can give it some leeway because she's such an iconic figure. I like the idea of cosmetics inspired by her look.

Hopefully there'll be some nice vintage colors in the collection! MAC comes out with special collections every 30 seconds and so many of them are just blah. I hope this one is truly different. They desperately need to come out with a Dita von Teese collection, but that's another topic. :eek:

I read that Estee Lauder is also going to do something with a Mad Men theme in the fall. Should be interesting!

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I really don't like when dead people are used to advertise stuff.

I don't mind it at all if it is done tastefully - I think it says a lot about Marilyn's timeless appeal and popularity that she continues to sell things (more books have been written about her than WW2 according to Billy Wilder!) - personally I love the fact that she still has such a huge following - hopefully the collection will be befitting her memory!

Fortworthgal - I hope so too - MAC make great cosmetics with good pigmentation so it's worth paying that little extra I reckon.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Hopefully there'll be some nice vintage colors in the collection! MAC comes out with special collections every 30 seconds and so many of them are just blah. I hope this one is truly different.

My thoughts exactly. And the rep at the Saks I venture for MAC always gets me to pre-order something too, it's like she hypnotizes me. Hahaha.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't mind it at all if it is done tastefully - I think it says a lot about Marilyn's timeless appeal and popularity that she continues to sell things (more books have been written about her than WW2 according to Billy Wilder!) - personally I love the fact that she still has such a huge following - hopefully the collection will be befitting her memory!

Fortworthgal - I hope so too - MAC make great cosmetics with good pigmentation so it's worth paying that little extra I reckon.

I agree with this. When you become a celebrity, you ultimately become merchandise. And I can't WAIT for this line to come out -- just hope I don't miss it (damn collections come and go so fast!) lol

appy

Familiar Face
This is fabulous news, isn't it? :D I have never gone in for their special releases before, mostly because I never seem to be fast enough (they always sell out so quickly). That, and I hate the idea of falling in love with limited edition products, but I just may make an exception in this case!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
marilynlipstick.jpg

I would definitely buy this shade. It's the only non-red lipstick I've coveted in ages.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Just saw a rundown of this collection posted on another site. Sounds exciting!

MAC Marilyn Collection
Release Date: early October 2012

Lipstick
Deeply Adored - Deep scarlet (Matte)
Charmed I'm Sure - Dark true red (Matte)
Pure Zen - Warm nude (Cremesheen)
Love Goddess - Mid-tone pink red (Satin)
Scarlet Ibis - Bright orange red (Matte)

Dazzleglass
Phiff! - Sheer yellow peach
Little Rock - Soft sheer white with pearlized pigments

Lip Pencil
Beet - Vivid reddish-pink
Redd - Clearly red
Cherry - Vivid bright blue/red

Eyeshadow
How to Marry - Soft White (Veluxe Pearl)
Preferred Blonde - Pale champagne beige (Veluxe Pearl)
Silver Screen - True silver (Veluxe Pearl)
Showgirl - Dark blue grey (Veluxe Pearl)

Eye Kohl
Smolder - Intense black
Fascinating - Intense matte white

Penultimate Eye Liner
Rapidblack - Rich deep carbon black

Penultimate Brow Marker
Universal - Natural warm taupe-brown

Brow Finisher
Clear - Sheer

False Lashes
Extreme Black - Carbon black

Beauty Powder
Forever Marilyn - Sheer pale peach highlighter

Powder Blush
Legendary - Pale soft coral (Satin)
The Perfect Cheek - Neutral pink beige (Matte)

Nail Lacquer
Vintage Vamp - Rich deep retro wine (Cream)
Stage Red - Dark berry red (Cream)
Flaming Rose - True red (Cream)
Kid Orange - Coral (Cream)
Rich, Rich, Rich - Glittery gold (Pearl)

Lash
35 Lash - Dramatic lash with emphasis on the centre of the lash

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The collection launched online today so I went on to take a look around, and most everything is already sold out! ALL of the lipsticks, blushes, and the beauty powder are sold out, and there are only 1 of the 4 eyeshadows are still available. UGH! :mad:

It wil be in stores on October 4. I'd like to get a couple of the lipsticks and the beauty powder, but I'm not holding my breath about finding anything.

Wife already pre-ordered some stuff (there's some private club or other) and the girls are camping out tonight. Well, going like 5AM - that's camping to them :)
I actually told them about it a year ago, so it's my own fault if they break me lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Wow. This silly hype is kind of turning me off to this line. I don't usually let stuff like this ruin my opinion, but for makeup....eh.....ok lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Wow. This silly hype is kind of turning me off to this line. I don't usually let stuff like this ruin my opinion, but for makeup....eh.....ok lol

That's kinda how I feel... annoyed. I don't get hyped up over the special/limited editions since it seems they come out with them every 10 minutes, but I was looking forward to this one. Meh.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
^^^ Yes, some people enjoy it, some people do not. No harm in either opinion, especially since no one is criticizing the customers. That being said…
That's kinda how I feel... annoyed. I don't get hyped up over the special/limited editions since it seems they come out with them every 10 minutes, but I was looking forward to this one. Meh.
I agree. I was once one of the customers that enjoyed these color stories (and yay to no waiting, one advantage working cosmetics). I became disenchanted with new stories every time you looked up from the promo of another one, as well as the repeats or tiny changes. Now, I no longer buy from EL at all, so that helps. :)
As for this story, I think they could have done way better.

Last edited:

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Hahaha! Nah, as I said, some of us. I had soooo much MAC. Still do, but finally got rid of a large USPS Priority box full of it. Traded for a couple of cute bags and a wallet.
I guess it's a sad day when I like the MAC lineup more than the womens lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy