Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MacLachlan

RHY

One of the Regulars
I won a MacLachlan hat on Ebay (see: No. 160266116171 auction). Does any one have any information that may be of some help in finding out more info on the MacLachlan line? Thank you, RHY

MattJH

One Too Many
From username mingoslim: "Harry MacLachlan began work as a hatter's apprentice in 1884 and went into business for himself in 1892 in Danbury, Connecticut, producing rough felt bodies for finishers in the hat trade in that city. He formed the S.A.G. Hat Company in 1904, and in 1909 Mr. McLachlan and Frank H. Lee formed a partnership under the name of the Lee-McLachlan Co., which continued until 1914, when the partnership was dissolved and H. McLachlan & Co.,Inc. was incorporated."

My Maclachlan in 7 5/8 LO is my favorite hat that I own. It's also the only one I own that has a back bow. There are other threads about Maclachlan if you search the archives.

I just managed to get a tartan Maclachlan hat box for the aforementioned hat that happened to come with a Maclachlan hat in 6 7/8. The new owner of the hat should be receiving it today or tomorrow and will likely post pictures of it. One of the most sought-after hats that I know of is the Maclachlan Silver Beaver 50, which is apparently worth close to $1000. Somebody here owns one. I believe it's AndyKev. I wish it was me.

Here are some quotes from Fedora Lounge members about Maclachlan hats:

Mr. H - "The fur pelts that they used were great, really dense and silky."

jamespowers - "they had to compete with the big boys and did so by giving you more for the money."

Andykev - "have heard that MacLaughlan(sic) hats were independant so they made quality out of the finest materials and supplies."

ArtFawcett - "...a very good name in hats"

fedoralover - "I have a brown one that is on the same quality level as my vintage Borsalinos."

besdor - "this company made some of the best bodies for felt hats ... They rarely show up on OFAS ... Its a great hat from one of the hardest to find hat companies in Danbury CT."

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
DJ,
Very nice. It looks like the "praise page" of a new book.
"Here's what some of the biggest names in modern literature have to say about X".

RHY,
Congrats on the new hat. It's a beauty.

MattJH

One Too Many
Hah. Thanks. The information about Maclachlan hats was scattered over a series of threads over several years. I wanted to consolidate for myself. I had never heard of them when I won mine off of eBay. It was poorly listed, luckily, and I believe I got it for under $100 if memory serves. I love my matching tartan hatbox (my Maclachlan has tartan lining), too. My most prized hat for sure.

RHY

One of the Regulars
Appreciation

DJ,
Thanks for the information and links to other threads. Your hat looks great, mine does not have a tartan lining nor box, but I am really happy to be able to win this one.
RHY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy