Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men gone Banana

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I had a few people ask me about the Mad Men at Banana Republic, and I thought I'd share my thoughts here, and ask yours.

I think the women's wear is phenomenal. Color scheme and elements modernized in a great way. I wish more women would dress with that elegance. I'd say the women's side has a genuine 60s air of business and cocktail without the current era casual mixing of denim in everything; also, nothing is gaudy or overly flamboyant. They captured the era well.

As for the menswear... One of the things I enjoyed most when I lost weight, about 8 years ago, was that I was now within range of wearing off the rack BR shirts. The shirts can be awesome or junky in make. The ones I have tend to have great fabric patterns and can easily pull off 30s looks. They even do the butterfly sides on most of their shirts. Now their Mad Men suits... Hmmm, the vest look great for an off the rack. I haven't tried one on yet, but I must go in and check them out.

I wouldn't say they are 60s era correct, but they would pass if going for a for a 1950s 3 piece look. The pants are slim and their waists have gotten higher. I prefer the fit of a pair of pants from BR over that of Brooks Brothers, since Brooks Brothers pants always have a bit of a diaper effect created by how the waist in the front tends to be lower than the waist in back. The most important part is the jacket.

In the past I have encountered great and terrible jackets from BR. Some having a linebacker shoulder padding with armholes that make the entire jacket leap over your collar when you reach forward to grab the salt at a table, and jackets that have lightly padded shoulders with armholes that make the entire jacket leap over your collar when you reach forward to hand someone the salt at a table.

In general, the Mad Men suits look pretty good, but can you move in them as well as men could move in their suits in the 1960s? I'll tell you more after a stop at one of their shops. I'm just not keen on how BR sometimes finishes its sleeves or the plastic feel of the liners they sometimes use. I'll do a compare and contrast with an actual 1960s jacket.

What do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic