Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in China - Monarch A-2 repros

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
A-2 from Spearhead Militaria

My first post...I actually found The Fedora Lounge while searching for information about the HH A2 from Spearhead Militaria. This is a great site with great conversations...highly informative!

I just received this jacket and have had a similarly positive experience as Thor. I would love a high-end repro but the price here was too tempting. I bought mine on eBay and OVERPAID before I did my research, but I think it's worth the $390 (vs new for $359). They make two colors...sealhide and havana (they are calling it russet...I think it's much closer in color to what people typically call havana). They offer a Rough Wear and a Monarch design...I opted for the Monarch and it's CLOSE although not perfect (for example, you can see the collar button rivet through the lining, unlike true Monarchs). I'm a 44 suit coat and ordered the 46...it absolutely fits perfectly. Solid stitching...nice horsehide that's already starting to show the grain after a few wears.

Question...thinking about applying mink oil or lexol to soften and darken slightly...any thought on that? I appreciate any feedback you can offer.

RRA

Last edited:

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
Here's some pictures after week 1...it is more Havana (orange) than I would prefer but it's growing on me. The sheen on the leather is significant...my wife's "is that a Mr. Farley jacket" comment hit home (Mr Farley = the landlord on the 1970s sitcom "Three's Company"). I'm concerned that scuffs appear to take the color right off...going down to a much lighter shade immediately. Time and breaking-in should help...unless the color rubs off on the scuffs/wear areas in which case I will be more than upset. Interested on your likes/dislikes on this.

IMG_0929.jpg

Last edited:

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
IMG_0919.jpg

Seam not rotated under the arm...not a big deal, but not true to Monarchs according to Acme Depot's great info (http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a.../albums/l598/rrackleyadams/IMG_0917.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:
Honestly, it looks like a well-made coat. It might even in some ways look more like an old WWII jacket (when new) than some others. But to me, the color would have to get beat up a bit to adjust. I'm already shy of the russets, so I'd be beatin' that thing into submission pronto! I think there's a great set of instructions by "fifty150" here somewhere that I liked...
Enjoy it. Looks like it will take some wear for many years to come. BTW, how does it fit? How about some pics wearing it?

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
My sad experience with Spearhead.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...al-Brown-Horse-Hide-sz-46&highlight=spearhead

Here are pictures of the 2nd jacket sent to me. The jacket is so stiff, it stands on its own. As you can see, the color spray has flaked off of the jacket in many spots. The lining shows where bleeding of dye caused a green stain. I am afraid the only place I would wear this jacket is in a demolition derby event, or a digging a fox hole competition.
P1000995Medium.jpg

P1000999Medium.jpg

P1020001Medium.jpg

P1020010Medium.jpg

P1020015Medium.jpg

P1020017Medium.jpg

P1020020Medium.jpg

P1020026Medium.jpg

P1020027Medium.jpg

P1020028Medium.jpg

Jacket is for sale if anyone wants it. $50

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
Jag: Sorry for your experience here...that's a very peculiar way for the leather to wear. I will say my jacket has gotten better...little bit of rain, yard work and time. I can see unique wearing away of color along the collar...not sure if it's going to end up looking weird or great...time will tell. Here's some pix of the jacket getting worn...it's heavy, comfortable and fits perfect (me, 44 chest/suit size, bought a 46 jacket from them)
Photoon3-3-12at826PM3.jpg
Photoon3-3-12at827PM3.jpg
Photoon3-3-12at827PM7.jpg

Last edited:
I think your sleeves are too long - JUST KIDDING! lol
It looks great. I hope you have better luck than Jag did. That's a shame, but enjoy yours - maybe it's a better model or newer build.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Honestly, it looks like a well-made coat. It might even in some ways look more like an old WWII jacket (when new) than some others. But to me, the color would have to get beat up a bit to adjust. I'm already shy of the russets, so I'd be beatin' that thing into submission pronto! I think there's a great set of instructions by "fifty150" here somewhere that I liked...
Enjoy it. Looks like it will take some wear for many years to come. BTW, how does it fit? How about some pics wearing it?

Why is that? Do you find they stain too easily or just prefer the darker shades?

I like darker because the "right shade" of russet I've only seen a few of. By "right" I mean for me. That's my boss and my taste talking. Nothing more. But good point. I suppose it may be prone to stain more.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Sorry to see that Jag. What size is it? I have a kid who's a friend of my son looking for an A2 on a budget.

SB
It is tagged a 44 but it fits like a 40, (after the shrinkage).

Pit to pit = 22 1/2"
Sleeve = 26"
Should-shoulder = 19"
Length in back (collar seam to end) = 25"
Front flap = 23 1/2

skytop

New in Town
A year ago, I bought a 'knock off' Rolex watch made in China. Yes, it looked spot on and even had the heft of the genuine article. I wore it for about three weeks. It became more difficult to set and it started to keep poor time. After about a month of use, the "hand crafted Chinese" watch's stem fell off and the watch became useless. That was a $175 lesson I learned NEVER to buy anything from China; Not a shovel, not a tool, not a watch, not a jacket. There is a totally different mentality in China that is not compatible with the American concept and standard of quality and longevity. "Good enough" is the mind set in China. Don't say you weren't warned.

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
A year ago, I bought a 'knock off' Rolex watch made in China. Yes, it looked spot on and even had the heft of the genuine article. I wore it for about three weeks. It became more difficult to set and it started to keep poor time. After about a month of use, the "hand crafted Chinese" watch's stem fell off and the watch became useless. That was a $175 lesson I learned NEVER to buy anything from China; Not a shovel, not a tool, not a watch, not a jacket. There is a totally different mentality in China that is not compatible with the American concept and standard of quality and longevity. "Good enough" is the mind set in China. Don't say you weren't warned.

Well, your 'American concept' was to buy a fake Swiss watch !

Plenty of quality items come out of China including my Sony Laptop and iphone.

Would I buy Chinese leather goods ? No, Italian, Japanese, British and American tanning is superior.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

Something of a misconception. The Chinese are capable of exquisite craftsmanship on every level, goods that will knock anything produced anywhere else in the world into a cocked hoop. They are also capable of producing absolutely trash. It's all about the market: they will manufacture to the spec ordered. If the person doing the ordering wants the cheapest of the cheap, that is what they will get - and that is exactly what a lot of them do want. It's a response to the global demand for ever-cheaper products, disposable fashion and so on. The free market in action. Quality has nothing to do with geography, and everything to do with economics. Most goods I've owned that were "made in USA" were good quality items, but then I also paid dearly for them. Different model - you can't manufacture to the lowest possible price point in the US any longer, so generally they don't try. Premium products, particularly those which sell the "made in America" 'brand' to a specific market which views that geographical point of manufacture as desirable in itself, are often made in the US. The quality is high, as are the prices.

On the specific matter of watches, I have quite a few Chinese made watches that have lasted well, but certainly they tend to be the ones that are a little higher priced. Same with fountain pens - I very quickly tired of the one or two cheap Mont Blanc copies I bought, but have some wonderful Chinese fountain pens (Duke and Hero brands especially) which have lasted very well and are the equal of anything affordable (and some less so) over here. There certainly is plenty of rubbish sold there with an expensive brand stuck on it, because there are plenty of tourists will buy it just for the name. [huh]

FWIW, a friend's late grandfather was in the jewellery business, and never rated Rolexes. I like the design of some of the older ones myself, but the modern ones are too big and too fancy. I don't even care for a date window on a watch if I can avoid it. My own jeweller tells me that the movement in most any decent watch costs about GBP10.00, and much above a certain price point you pay only for brand and cosmetic features, not accuracy or otherwise of the timepiece. [huh]

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
Gentlemen:
Here's the update from my end...
1) The Spearhead Militaria horse hide A-2s are made in South Korea, not China, according to their eBay rep in the US (see e-mail below)
2) I bought this because I love A-2s and the price was attractive. I do like my coat but wish I bought a Kelso, Aero or even an Eastman.
3) This coat appears to be spray dyed and the finish wears off. I'm not talking from huge scuffs...I'm talking about general wear along seams and collar (will post photos later). My next step is to Lexol the coat and work the leather. The overt shininess is a result of the spray dye (so I've read)...I've also read that alcohol can be applied and that it will remove the shininess.
4) This is all a great hassle. If I redid all of this I would buy a quality repro on eBay or buy new from one of the mid-level repro companies. Unless of course the leather turns out great after my chemical warfare with it...not likely though.

Dear rrackleyadams,

Hello Sir,
the horsehide A2 jacket was made in South Korea, and our Luftwaffe flight jacket and u-boot jacket was made by the same factory.
regards
barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot