Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magazine Research

Lucy

New in Town
Hi there,

I am planning to launch a web-based fashion magazine focused around the rockabilly, burlesque, 1950s revival and pin-up girl scene. This has long been an interest of mine, and I feel there is a gap in the market for such a magazine. I am producing this as part of my final project for my fashion degree. I plan to produce this as a web-based rather than paper magazine to make it accessible worldwide.

I wondered if anyone would help me, by taking the time to answer a few questions:

What is your age?
Would you be interested in reading such a magazine?
If there was a fee to access the magazine online, how much would you be willing to pay?
What would you like to see included in this magazine?
Do you currently buy or subscribe to any magazines based around the rockabilly culture? If so, which ones?

Please either email your responses to lucy@cherrybombshell.co.uk or post them here.
Feel free to add any additional comments which you feel might help me.

Many thanks,
Lucy

PS: I hope it is appropriate to post this on this website, if not feel free to remove it.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Lucy said:
I wondered if anyone would help me, by taking the time to answer a few questions:

What is your age?

sure would enjoy it, although a hard copy would probably more likely be read by me, unless the web version was ultra easy to maneuver through.

If there was a fee to access the magazine online, how much would you be willing to pay?
For a web based one, I probably wouldn't pay. Just being honest.

How-to's on hair and make-up would be a top choice. Maybe even movie recommendations for 1940s fashion and/or for just pure entertainment.

Do you currently buy or subscribe to any magazines based around the rockabilly culture? If so, which ones?
No, but I have some past mags of Atomic Magazine that I enjoy. The only other magazine I'm subscribed to is the Star Wars Insider and previously to Budget Travel.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
What is your age? 19

Would you be interested in reading such a magazine? Completely. I love all these online magazines based on retro/vintage stuff, and I think that there is definitely a NEED for a fashion magazine instead of just pin up pics and voting.

If there was a fee to access the magazine online, how much would you be willing to pay? hmm. I'd rather there be a donation button to see extra content, and have there be a preview "teaser". And even then, though I might want to really see it, I probably wouldn't be able to subscribe. I don't have much money.

What would you like to see included in this magazine? Hair tutorials and tips, make up tips for different skin/lip tones, and retro eyeglass color/style tips too.

Do you currently buy or subscribe to any magazines based around the rockabilly culture? If so, which ones? No but I read some that are free online. http://www.retroradar.com/ and I wish I could buy back issues of atomicmag. I am subscribed to some knitting magazines and used to be subscribed to the SW insider.

Naama

Practically Family
Lucy said:
What is your age?.
Lucy said:
Well... I'm not really sure. I'm not so much into the 50's and I don't have the slightest interest with rockabilly but I'm interested in the burlesque thing, so, I would have to take a look into it first.

Lucy said:
Wouldn't pay either for an online magazine, sorry.

Lucy said:
Hair and make up tips, hair in particulary. Oh yes, and something aboute burlesque now and then.

Lucy said:
Nope.

Naama

katiemakeup

Practically Family
What is your age? 32

Would you be interested in reading such a magazine? probably

If there was a fee to access the magazine online, how much would you be willing to pay? not sure

What would you like to see included in this magazine? band/event reviews,
tributes to gals who started it all, hair/makeup tips to re-create, maybe seeing if you can get some "experts" to write weekly or monthly columns on anything, (ie: Dita, Bernie, Bella B...) articles on the Burlesque Museum near Vegas, or on current burlesque troops and their offshoots (PCD, The Citizens Band...) around the world and/or the venues they perform in, Books/Mags for reference, Pin-up Girl of the (week/month) maybe in differnet categories like punk, goth, rockabilly, vintage, fetish etc..., Where to find stuff, classifieds for trade/barter of anything related (clothes, accessories...) message board forums, history timeline of pinup & burlesque...

Do you currently buy or subscribe to any magazines based around the rockabilly culture? If so, which ones? no, only because I'm more into 30's vintage & glam, but I do have a soft spot for burlesque (I love me some Dita!) & vintage pin ups. I will pick up a Baracuda every now and then.

Sounds like fun!! Good luck :)

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
What is your age?
Like before, definately a hard copy
Probably not, unless it had info specific to the UK
Hair styling, films, gigs and reviews (jive, rockabilly, rock n roll), info on burlesque (events, how to etc), pinup competitions/centrefold, classifieds, jive info, sewing info on reproduction clothing
No, but I have some back issues of Atomic

Please do this - it's a great idea!
xXx

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
From another fashion grad, congrats on your upcoming graduation!

What is your age?

yes

I probably wouldn't pay for an online magazine. I think I'd want a paper copy if I was paying.

Hair tips, movie reviews (classic and modern film), reviews of reproduction clothing and fashion layouts of repro clothing, getting started in the scene articles, fashion history articles- like about a specific article of clothing (bullet bras, swimwear, resort wear, specific designers...), how-to's like dance moves, building things, free patterns for purses or how to make flower hair clips...

No. I used to suscribe to Atomic when it was around (I think retroradar.com is the successor to the magazine).

MissQueenie

Practically Family
What is your age?

Yes.

I wouldn’t pay for an online magazine. Chances are I could get the same information for free from a library or another webpage. And like the other gals, I’d want a paper copy if I were actually paying for it.

In addition to pretty much everything on Lauren’s list: Hair and make-up tips, of course – but as detailed as possible, and from a variety of eras (20s-50s). Vintage looks for women of other ethnicities (Asian, Latina, African American, etc). Vintage recipes for cocktails or dishes. A section on how to care for, clean, protect, and store your delicate vintage pieces. A list of popular color choices for dresses and suits from a variety of eras.

Nope.

Nora Charles

New in Town
What is your age?
yes
No, there is just something about magazines that I would rather have it printed...
hair and fashion
No
:)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
What is your age?
Yes.

Probably not. I'd want hardcopy for my pennies.

Hair and makeup. I'd like to see coverage of good repro lines. Maybe a special issue on retro weddings. I love photo spreads of pretty girls in little clothes, but only if it tells me where to *buy* the clothes.

No. I only subscribe to Vogue and The New Yorker. I pick up Barracuda, Garage, Kera, NewType, and Kimonohime when I see them. I also hoard issues of Glamour from the 50s whenever I can find them. The fashion ads in them are the best sources I've ever seen.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I like Miss Queenie's ideas about the different ethnicities. Maybe also showing the differences of how Pin ups & burlesque styles have changed from year to year...there's a big difference between Vargas and Bettie, that kind of thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy