Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mail Call

Davep

One of the Regulars
A lot of WW2 reenactments are tactical battles which focus on combat tactics and weapons. So our unit had decided to expand the experience for our members by staging "mail calls", with what we think is a pretty authentic first attempt.

All the envelopes are actual WW2 era vmail and letter envelope images transfered to envelope templates. All the letters are hand written letters using various color inks, and fountain pens. All the photographs are people from that time as well.

All the vmails were also recreate using actual vmail images, with text being added to tailor them directly to our members. All the wording of letters and vmails were taken from actual WW2 era letters.

mailcall.jpg

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
All the V-Mails and letters from that period had BEAUTIFUL handwriting. It is a lost art no doubt. I remember watching a "Our Gang" episode where they were practicing writing. "Chubby" would dip his pen in ink write then blot. Those days are pretty much gone along with the typewriter (remember those !?).

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic:
a bit off topic but I have a wedding album of a lady from 1930s. I have tried and tried to find someone from the family to give it to.
Inside is lots of letters and telegrams or her writing to her husband during the WW11.
So lovingly put together and a real picture of what the ladies back home went thru.
I know things are no different now and soldiers still love to get mail and packages.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
It's nice to see this aspect of WWII being focused on. Like Dave said - the events mostly focus on weaponry and combat.

To see more of these things shows the more emotional and personal side of war.

:)

Applause!

Wow - really impressive and so much effort!

I have a few original v-mails and enjoy reading them. Also have some vintage v-mail repro stationery that I send letters to my sister with (I type them on my old machine). Mainly because my handwriting has deteriorated badly with all the years spent on computers for work.

I'm a fan of the Home Front aspect of WWII and think you did an amazing job with your mail call!

Davep

One of the Regulars
It was great to see the guys exhibit some of the same excitement and curiosity of recieving mail that a soldier might have had. Some place them in their helmets

IMG_0429.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda