Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Rocker Jackets c.1956-1969

nightandthecity

Practically Family
V

WAs greaser ever a term that had currency on this side of the Atlantic? It's not one I've ever seen mentioned much in the UK.
indeed it was, I was a teenager in the UK during the 60s (10 in 1960) and "greaser" was a common term for rockers. But IIRC it was more a term other people applied to rockers rather than a self identification. There was also the term "greebo" which i presume was short for "greaser boy".

Edward

Bartender
indeed it was, I was a teenager in the UK during the 60s (10 in 1960) and "greaser" was a common term for rockers. But IIRC it was more a term other people applied to rockers rather than a self identification. There was also the term "greebo" which i presume was short for "greaser boy".

Interesting, I've only ever heard 'Greaser' used in the American context. I guess Rockers self-identifying as such has perpetuated the term as much as anything. That and the press picking up on it with Birghton Beach, likely.

Grebo I've heard used since the 90s, more in the north of England, as a term of abuse for alternative kids, goths in particular, from mainstream kids (townies). Interesting to hear it has earlier roots.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Late '60s sheepskin Mascot 'Black Night'.

IMG_4837.jpeg
IMG_4840.jpeg
IMG_4838.jpeg
IMG_4841.jpeg
IMG_4843.jpeg
IMG_4848.jpeg
IMG_4845.jpeg
IMG_4844.jpeg
IMG_4842.jpeg
0DBA7E68-BA31-4054-B732-B9B7AF13CC2D.jpeg

Edward

Bartender

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Black Night is a lovely, and distinctive, design. It would render well in goat also, I think. Pity the revived Mascot didn't managed to establish itself.

I've half-jokingly suggested we send some culturally niche but prized 'in the community' jackets like a Buco or Durable to Five Star in Pakistan to make a reproduction, but some of these British rocker jackets that fell through the cracks would be a genuinely ideal candidate for such a project. What's more, the more 'Commonwealth' sewing techniques they employ–whilst inaccurate for American reproductions (as seen in Aero's firm rules in that respect)–would actually fit.

I've had an eye out for a Black Night for years after you'd mentioned them–shame the revived brand never got off the ground.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
the more 'Commonwealth' sewing techniques they employ
I'm intrigued but uneducated - please elaborate!

The old school short and tapered torso looks like it would be a perfect for me, contrary to most of the recent Schott or LW jackets.

Edward

Bartender
I've half-jokingly suggested we send some culturally niche but prized 'in the community' jackets like a Buco or Durable to Five Star in Pakistan to make a reproduction, but some of these British rocker jackets that fell through the cracks would be a genuinely ideal candidate for such a project. What's more, the more 'Commonwealth' sewing techniques they employ–whilst inaccurate for American reproductions (as seen in Aero's firm rules in that respect)–would actually fit.

I've had an eye out for a Black Night for years after you'd mentioned them–shame the revived brand never got off the ground.

It was a pity. I suspect they fell between a few stools. The repros were a perfect recreation of the originals - perhaps too perfect in that they were not up to use as modern bike jackets (Goldtop have since been very clever in incorporating contemporary PPE capability with their revived designs), and on the other hand despite being much more affordable, they didn't seem to get the bites either in the Rocker revival scene, which is now absolutely dominated by Lewis to an extent that is unrepresentative of how things were back in the day.

I think they had a good look at Lewis Leathers' Thunderbolt. I wouldn't be surprised if these came from the same factory.

View attachment 528849

OH! Now that is one I've never seen before. Interesting. I don't know which came first. Lewis were of course widely copied, though not averse to the process in reverse themselves: Rivett's Highwayman brand were doing their version of the quintessential Rocket jacket - the straight zip, shirt collar look - at least by 1958, in variants pretty much indistinguishable from the Lewis Corsair & Dominator - both of which debuted in 1962.

Interesting this one is so very similar to the Black Night down to the zips - the only variant being the belt instead of side buckles.

Edward

Bartender

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
Belstaff used to make a model similar to Mascot.
Most jacket of this model are made of viynl leather, but this jacket is thick sheepskin.
DSC_3124~2.JPG DSC_3126~3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner