Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make Do and Mend

Miss Sis

One Too Many
You've reminded me that I have lots of dried beans that need using up! I keep forgetting about them until it's too late to be getting on with cooking them so the above tip is very useful.

Generally I am very frugal with resources. I can make a dinner out of just about nothing - and it will be good for you! We only do a big shop maybe every six weeks or so, whenever we have the use of a car. Fresh necessities like milk as and when we need them. I used to live with a vegetarian so I know lots of recipes without meat which is very helpful. I make sure that I have lots of basics in the cupboard to work with like rice, pasta, cous cous, pulses, tinned tomatoes, tuna, etc. I always cook from scratch. It's cheaper, better for you and tastes better.

I guess I was bought up to be careful too. Not in a room? Then turn the lights off. Only heat the main living room or room you will be in all evening and don't have the heating up higher than it really needs to be. Close doors to keep the heat in. Put on an extra layer if you feel cold. Put a rug over your knees whilst watching tv. Use a hot water bottle in bed.

I also mend clothes. Modern things as well as vintage. I darn the toes in socks and hosiery when they go. Most people think that's a bit crazy but if the rest of the item is ok, why waste it? If I ever have anything to go to charity (rare - mostly things are just too worn out to give away), I wait till there is a collection bag put through the letter box and they take it away, saving a trip to the charity shop.

I'm not saying that I never buy things, that's not realistic, but I do think about what I buy before I buy it. Mostly, you find you don't need as much as you think.

These days more people could use these sorts of tips. For some of us it is how we've always lived!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There is no bread better than homemade. Plus you get to work off your stress during the kneading process.

My latest make-do tip? This stuff:

campingsurvival_2027_77279888

It's the best shoe-sole patching compound I've ever used -- it works on any rubber or composition-soled shoe, and the patch *lasts.* My favorite pair of everyday oxfords has a hole worn thru one sole, and a $5 tube of this stuff has helped them keep going and going. You can get it at any sporting goods or outdoorsman's store.

RetroPat

Familiar Face
Being in college, I have to make do on a budget. My roommates and I bought some cheap furniture over the summer for our apartment and I quickly discovered just how cheap today's everyday goods truly are. I think when I get my own place I will simply use hand-me-down pieces from my grandfather and parents as well as buying vintage. Clothes today aren't much better. My grandma knew what she was doing when she would re-finish old furniture, mend dresses, and turn pretty much anything that seemed worn out and useless into something quite functional.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
My mother-in-law was visiting us this past weekend and we were discussing how people used to make things last longer, etc. She said that HER mother-in-law had instructed her on how to detatch shirt collars and re-sew them back on in reverse. That would allow for equal wearing on the shirt collar on both sides and hopefully the shirt would look nice twice as long.
My wife quickly added she wouldn't be doing that on my shirts, though.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
"Today's throwaway society" unfortunately goes hand in hand with today's throwaway merchandise. Many products are either too complex (plastics, electronics) or not durable enough (much clothing) to fix up decently.

To avoid buying things – new things – I shop used or vintage, but that has its limits.
Fletch is spot on most modern things are A not worth repairing or B if they are the parts are not available or to costly its built in obsolescence.Only older or high quality items are repairable or worth repairing

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mmmmm, 'built in oblecence'. I hate that term (and its truth).

Made the beans :D, made the bread! :essen: They both turned out pretty tasty.

IMG_0465.jpg

I strained off most of the seasoned bean water and Im going to freeze it for soup stock. Mmmmm goood!

LD

Sunny

One Too Many
I finally, literally got some mending done over the weekend. (Yay for watching football with the family and doing handwork at the same time!) One of my vintage coats lost a button last winter and I put the button in a very safe place, since I was WAY too busy to sit down and sew on it. (Not kidding. It was not fun.) I've cleaned out my sewing stuff several times since then, and as far as I'm concerned that button has evaporated. It wasn't that special, just a plain 1" button from which the color was wearing. I finally found reasonable replacements and sewed them on Saturday. In addition:

* I learned how to do a thread shank the right way. (Instead of making it up.)
* Most of the corded buttonholes were beginning to come out. I redid most of them. (I am SO glad I know how to do buttonholes by hand.) I used the black cotton heavy hand-quilting thread I already had to do 1860s gauging.
* The collar and lapels were just starting to come apart, and I repaired that.
* I stitched up the front facing hem, which came detached from the lining and itself and fell down.
* I sewed the extra button - I got 6 and needed 5 - inside the front facing so I'll always have the extra handy.

That coat hasn't looked that good since even before I got it! I still need to replace the lining, which is shattering. :eek: And one of the shoulder pads - actually sleeve pads, since it's a late 30s coat with sleep padding but nothing in the shoulders - feels a little wonky. But those are more significant repairs and I still don't have the leisure for that.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Oooowwww, Sunny, you've reminded me of the mountain of mending I have to do!

I even started a list since I tend to get bored of seeing all the things that need mending and put them away, promptly forgetting that they need mending until I get them out to wear. Come on, we've ALL done it, folks!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
SweetieStarr said:
I'm not sure if this is the proper location for this post. Admins are welcome to move it.
However, I saw the following print available for purchase online and it made me think of several FL'ers who I know subscribe to the philosophy.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_9&listing_id=18351054

It's cute...but at $47 + shipping I think the people buying are probably not of the "Make Do & Mend" folk! :eek:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Another question:

I have a pot I use to boil stuff (pasta, potatoes, beans etc.), but the inner coating/lining of the metal has finally cooked off.

Now, is there a way to 'replace' it, or is it fine to use as is, or should I scrap it and get a new (goodwill) pot?

Its not a vintage pod, but Ive had it a long time and its a great size.

Thanks all,

LD

Esme

One of the Regulars
Lizzie, I think I love you.

LizzieMaine said:
Oh gee, this brings back memories -- my grandmother used to do a lot of these things.

Me, I never buy anything new if I can possibly help it -- I've been using the same towels and sheets for almost twenty years, and if they rip I sew them up and keep on using them. When my favorite flannel sheet finally wore out, I cut it down and made it into pillowcases. The apron I'm wearing right now was cut down from one of my grandmother's old housedresses. Even my laptop computer is held together by an elaborate duct-tape patch after the hinges broke.

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do -- or do without!" -- that's how I was raised, and that's how I live.

Snippage occurred for brevity's sake (sorry).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As more and more people are losing their jobs, I find that more of my friends are learning to see what they have around their homes to use instead of buy.

Picture3.png

My proud moment this week was when the hand cart I use every time I go to the grocery store came apart on me. When the handle, which has an adjustable hight mechanism, came undone, I was discouraged. If I had a job, I would have saved and bought another.

Ive had this cart for over two years, and I use it heavily, so getting a replacement for a worn one was not too out of bounds. But I dont have a job, and I cant do much lugging without this thing, so I took it apart, and found the problem was super small.

The ball baring release on one of the poles that make up the lever became twisted, and could not fit into the groove. So, a twist back in place, and a screw replacement got my cart working like new again!

I was so happy, and I saved bank! I was quite relieved.

LD

Lou

One of the Regulars
I practice some of the economizing tips in this thread, and should start practicing many of the rest.

I've wanted to bake bread and this weekend finally got a loaf pan and ingredients. It'll be nice to no longer need to choose between a nasty loaf for $2 and a decent loaf for $4~5.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
There is no bread better than homemade. Plus you get to work off your stress during the kneading process.

My latest make-do tip? This stuff:

campingsurvival_2027_77279888

It's the best shoe-sole patching compound I've ever used -- it works on any rubber or composition-soled shoe, and the patch *lasts.* My favorite pair of everyday oxfords has a hole worn thru one sole, and a $5 tube of this stuff has helped them keep going and going. You can get it at any sporting goods or outdoorsman's store.

I replaced the flat tin roof on out Italianate (Tuscan Villa, actually) house with EDPM tubber roofing some years ago, and I have a couple hundred square feet of left-over 90 mil membrane. It is the perfect patch for leather soles that are getting thin. I simply re-cover the soles with this rubber, which I stick in place with contact cement. The new material is non-slip and wears like cast iron. I have also taken to covering the rubber heels on new Stacy Adams shoes with this material, as they leave terrible marks on wooden or tile floors. The roofing material bonds perfectly, and creates a non-slip heel that will not mar any floor.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aug. 31st will be my one year unemployment anniversary. Id throw a party if it wasnt so depressing ;) Aside from odd jobs and online selling, nothing has come my way, but its caused me to pinch the pennies more so than I did before.

While just parusing online, I found this rather interesting project from the New York Times. Living with Less. Its a rather interesting section, where you can submit tips and read tips on how others have been making it through.

Tips I submitted were:
Bake everything, bread, cookies, dog treats. It averages $1 a loaf instead of $4 at the grocery.
Use Castile soap for all your body needs. Face, hair and body. Its cheap, eco-friendly, and to personalize, add a touch of your favorite scented oil.

Just thought Id share :)

LD

Lorena B

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Aug. 31st will be my one year unemployment anniversary. Id throw a party if it wasnt so depressing ;) Aside from odd jobs and online selling, nothing has come my way, but its caused me to pinch the pennies more so than I did before.

While just parusing online, I found this rather interesting project from the New York Times. Living with Less. Its a rather interesting section, where you can submit tips and read tips on how others have been making it through.

Tips I submitted were:

Just thought Id share :)

LD
:eek:fftopic: Lady Day, i feel your pain.
I have been unemployed since last October, very soon for me a year.
But still, this has for sure helped me more with the make and do, not only at home but also in small things like taking the public transport less and less and walk instead.
Re-use the same shopping bags all over again (it also helps the environment)
Make more clothes instead of buying then all the time.
Go out less and spend money in drinks and club tickets and swap it for nice and cosy evenings with my partner or family doing simple things like playing cards or reading.
I dont think for sure unemployment is a good thing but sure it does help you to take more advantage of what you already have, also not mentioning the said of: need is the mother of resourceness ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy