Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make your own vintage inspired hats

klind65

One of the Regulars
custom milinery

Hello. Thanks for sharing those links. Do you know about the Vintage Hat Box? A lovely woman in Tennessee hosts this site on line and while some of the offerings have seen better days, I have found some real gems here. But being a bespoke type of person, I prefer custom everything. Fortunately, I have found a custom milliner in Michigan, Mrs. Gena Conti. I highly recommend visiting her site, Genaconti.com. She shares my love for the classic glamour of Golden Age Hollywood and is pleased to copy the hats I see in the films. Recently, I sent her a photo of Ava Gardner in a dramatically glamorous black assymetrical large brimmed hat which I fancied and she has agreed to make it for me in the fall. I find not being in Michigan and ergo doing without the advantage of seeing the hats in person is alright since I know my size and what styles are most becomming on me. However, she is an expert on sizing and can direct you in taking your size if need be. Apparently many people buy their hats this way since she has clients the world over from Scotland to Japan. If you do order from her, please tell her Miss Lindstrom recommended you. Kind wishes, klind65

zendy

A-List Customer
That Caroline hat is to die for! bookmarked and added to list of items to knit after the darn gloves that have taken me the better half of 3 months.

edited:for accidental use of potty word, it probably could have slid, but just incase

Delia's Gone

New in Town
I really like the Matilda & Tillie cloche patterns.

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz001.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I made my own hat :)
I drafted the pattern off inspiration from 20s hats I saw online.
There are 3 pleats at the top (closed) but they flair out on the sides. Its fully lined. The back is kind of bonnet like, and the cloche is tied with the red band which is permanently attached after fitting it. Im gonna wear it this weekend with my late 20s dress. The band actually goes down over my forehead but I didnt mash my hair down enough to pul the hat down all the way. :eek:

side.jpg
back.jpg

I do plan on making a few more in different materials.

LD

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Charming hat, Lady Day. I look forward to pictures of it with your dress. My few authentic cloches are so small - vintage ladies must have had tiny heads to go with their tiny feet.
Fortunately, I have a cloche-like hat from my grandmother's things, that is designed to sit further on the back of the head rather than enclose the whole thing. I've clipped some red silk flowers to it, and am wearing it today.

swinggal

One Too Many
Hello ladies,

Just wanted to ask you a question or two about any hats you have made. I would like to make some of my own from 30s patterns - one set in particular are from the Vintage Pattern Lending Library, which I'm sure you are familiar with. I know Lady Day has made some lovely slouchy hats which is what I love. What patterns have you guys used when you have made yours?

I want to make a couple of these ones; although Lady Day says her patterns for these were dodgey. Has anyone else made them?
https://vpll.3dcartstores.com/1930-L...les_p_186.html

It suggests to make them from Velvet, Taffeta, Silk, and Light Weight Woolens. Does Light Weight Woolens mean felt when hat making? Also 'wide belting for inside band' What does that mean and where would I get it from? We have huge sewing supply stores here but their millinery sections are not great and i don't know of any purely millinery suppliers here.

Anyway, hope you can help. I'm tired of looking for hats or finding ones i like that don't fit so wanted to make my own from some original patterns.

Thanks girls.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is the exact pattern I have. Nothing fit at all. It was so frustrating to work with. So much so that I had to scrap the first one I made. The second end result was blah at best.

I'll mail it to you if you want it.

LD

swinggal

One Too Many
How bizzare. Do you think they messed up when they copied the patterns? Maybe it was that particular sizing? Shame as I want something similar to those designs but no point in making it from that pattern if it's not going to work. You should review it on her site so people know it's not right.

Do you know of anywhere else to find vintage hat patterns similar to this LD? I don't have the experience to make my own pattern yet. All three designs on that page were something that I would wear...just so you know the style I like.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It might have been a shoddy mail order they reproed the pattern from.
I tried view D, and because that one was a bust, I didnt try any others. For all I know those others might work fine, I just dont want to try.

And 30s hat patterns are like nowhere to be see. Ive been looking for a looooog time. Ive seen plenty of 40s ones, a lot even in repro, but 30s, the one style I long for, nope. *sigh*

LD

swinggal

One Too Many
What a bummer :( I've been looking for ages too. I saw a pattern today but it was like $98!!! And all the 30s ones I DO have are crochet hats. I have a tonne of those but I can't crochet! Some of them are lovely looking too! Baaaaa!!

Maybe someone else will let us know if they tried to use the same pattern. I'd like to know if the PLL fised the prob!

Annichen

Familiar Face
Oh god!
This is almost freaky!
I just thought about finding a pattern for cloche hats...:eek: lol
Have any of you made late 20s early 30s cloche hats of felt?
If you have patterns,please share:)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
swinggal said:
Hello ladies,

Just wanted to ask you a question or two about any hats you have made. I would like to make some of my own from 30s patterns - one set in particular are from the Vintage Pattern Lending Library, which I'm sure you are familiar with. I know Lady Day has made some lovely slouchy hats which is what I love. What patterns have you guys used when you have made yours?

I want to make a couple of these ones; although Lady Day says her patterns for these were dodgey. Has anyone else made them?
https://vpll.3dcartstores.com/1930-L...les_p_186.html

It suggests to make them from Velvet, Taffeta, Silk, and Light Weight Woolens. Does Light Weight Woolens mean felt when hat making? Also 'wide belting for inside band' What does that mean and where would I get it from? We have huge sewing supply stores here but their millinery sections are not great and i don't know of any purely millinery suppliers here.

Anyway, hope you can help. I'm tired of looking for hats or finding ones i like that don't fit so wanted to make my own from some original patterns.

Thanks girls.
I have that pattern. I haven't made it up yet. I have a lot of vintage and repro hat patterns. Eva Dress has two cute ones from the 1930's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner