Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make your own vintage inspired hats

swinggal

One Too Many
Ah yes, these 3. Not really a fan of the last set. I like a couple in the first two sets and the patterns are pretty cheap at least.

6184.jpg
5256.jpg

2231.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I really only like the top veiw of the last pattern. I love the two center veiws of the first one you posted. I have that one and plan to make those soon.

Idledame

Practically Family
Ive looked at this from Vintage Pattern Lending Library too. Especially the blue one in the middle looks sooo easy. Just 4 pieces of felt for the crown and a brim. It's on my "one of these days" list. The "belting" refers to a non-stretching, non-fraying ribbon or facing for the inside sweatband, to keep the crown from stretching ( it's used sometimes for belt backing or sometimes to keep the waistband of skirts from stretching. It's usually the type of ribbon that has ridges going across the width. Apparently, felt for hats is different than what you would get in a fabric/craft store though I bet it would work. A felt hat I have like the blue one is sewn with regular seams but then trimmed REAL close to the seams inside. A ribbon hides the overcast seam that joins the brim to the crown.
h5685a.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Ah yes, I know what you mean Marcie. A bit like grosgrain. LD had real problems with that pattern you showed. She said none of the pieces fit together in the D hat.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The simplest looking patterns are always the most difficult to make right.

Its that crown that was the biggest problem. Its WAY too pointed, and adjusting the point, even in the smallest way, mis-shapes the entire hat.
Not to mention the brim is way too small for the provided crown, so there's a whole other world of hurt there.
Ill post the one I made after I did literally a day of alterations on it. Im still not completely pleased with it.

LD

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Eerie, I too was recently looking at the very same hats on the Vintage Pattern Lending Library site. It must be a sign that I should make a hat to go with the Folkwear 30s Day dress I'm currently sewing. I will try D-3 in a coordinating color and post my results. What a terrific thread!
h5685a.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
I think the D is the one Lady Day tried to make and the pattern pieces didn't fit (read further back in her thread). Let me know how it goes because if they was a problem with the pattern in the past they make have rectified it by now. I'd like to make D and A.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I'd thought I'd try to draft the pattern myself from the photos, swinggal. Not that I'm a genius milliner, but I think it would be fun to try and draft a hat pattern and make a test muslin. It's just a dress for your head, so how tough can it be, right? [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
P1010001.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Here is the hat. I made it to go with my NRA double breasted dress. The fabric is silk, but I interfaced it to give it stiffness. The crown was pointer than this in the first attempt and I spent hours shaping the pieces down to make them sit better. The brim never fit (too small) so on this one i had to make a larger piece.

There is still too much puckering in the back than what I wanted and I dont rightly like the way it sits on me all too well.

LD

swinggal

One Too Many
Hmmm, yes. I see what you mean LD. Surely a bunch of people would have emailed her and told her that the pattern is wrong and she needs to fix it. I wonder how many other people have attempted this hat and the same thing happened as you LD. If you had trouble as an experienced sewer there is no way I could fix it.
I might email her and see hat she says. If the problem has been rectified I'll give it a go. What size was your pattern LD?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I mean its a $9 pattern, cant complain too much. The pattern is for a 22 head, and I made the first as is to see how it would fit. This one pictured is for my big old head, so I did modifications to it.

LD

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
After checking ladyday's photos, I thought I would buy the pattern rather than drive myself batty with drafting. $9 is certainly a deal for patterns. BTW swinggal, the pattern is available in one size: 22 inch head - the average size woman's head is between 21-23 inches.

Looking at LD's photos, I'm thinking that something sturdier than interfacing might be needed, like perhaps buckram or coat weight interfacing?

The fabric is lovely LD.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeah, the hat is soft, and lined. I didnt want it too firm, but its got a good body to it, more so than it appears. The brim I like a lot, its the crown that can go jump off a cliff.

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That's too bad. I've had my eye on those for a while, too. I really like all the patterns I've gotten from her.
I don't think they'll edit the pattern, cause I think she tries to remain as true to the original source material as possible. [huh]

swinggal

One Too Many
I don't mind paying WAY more than $9, that's not the issue, but I don't want to get everything cut out and then nothing fits together like LD said. Just a waste of good materials as I want to make mine out of felt. Maybe I could do a practice one with an old woolen, felty coat from a thrift store first :)

swinggal

One Too Many
Thanks LD. You are a sweetie. I'm going to email her first and see if she did fix the pattern. Will let you know. If you do send it will pay for postage and send you a little something vintage from here in return for your troubles ;)

Will PM you when I hear back from her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy