Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Makeup remover-anyone make their own?

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
I not satisfied with my current one (almay pads) they are very oily and make my eyes sting. I was thinking about making my own but wanted to get insight on whether anyone has made their own. Vintage techniques or products that may have been used (unless just cold cream) or a brand ya just love! Thanks

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like cold cream on my face, but I can't use it on my eyes more than one day in a row or I get itchy.
So lately, i have just been using jojba oil, which leaves no oily residue at all.

Lorena B

Practically Family
I dont generally use foundation but i am a heavy mascara user, i found out that my mum when she was young, used to remove it with olive oil. I have tried this a few times and indeed works but mind you, i guess you are better off with the Jojoba oil that Miss 1929 recommends, as the olive oil does leave you really oily skin afterwards

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I just use olive oil too. I don't use a pad or anything, I just massage it in until my mascara yells "Uncle!" Then I do a light wash with castile soap to remove the oiliness from my face and I'm good to go.
I've noticed that this method works well for me because I'm not tugging or wiping at my eyes and making my eyelashes fall out. When I first started doing OCM, I wasn't getting my eye makeup off (I don't use a face cloth), so now I do the massage thing. Works like a charm and doesn't make my eyes sting!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I am also on the Jojoba Oil Ban Wagon :)
I use it to take my makeup off .. it works like a charm and I use contacts and I have not had a single problem with the oil bothering my eyes.I have used cold creme in the past to take my mascara of ( I am also a major mascara user.. I dont use foundation) so to me.. the only thing im taking off is mascara :)

Hope you can find something that will work :D

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
thanks you guye are great

yeah i was thinking of trying the oil cleansing method but wasn't sure if it would double as an eye makeup remover. I have also used almond oil, that was a huge mistake. I will try jojoba and olive thanks. The oily part doesn't bother me so much as what is in the almay pads that are oily (probably chalk full of chemicals i dont want in my eye). THANKS EVERYONE.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I use Neutrogena or Loreal - I like those "mix" removers, but Im going to try the Jojoba! I wear a tonne of eye make up! Liquid eyeliner really doesnt like to budge!

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
CA Botana and Dermalogica both make great makeup removers that are lite and get the most dramatic makeup off quickly and easily. But I have been known when in a pinch to use Vaseline as a makeup remover with good results.

Sisu

New in Town
I swear by it.
Avon Moisture Effective Eye Makeup Remover Lotion
511mafoDLfL._SL210_.gif

Lily Powers

Practically Family
My grandmother used Albolene, a mineral oil based cleanser/make up remover. She was in her 70's when I first met her and I recall how beautiful her skin was, and hopeful the "good skin" gene might pass my way. To remove eye makeup, I use Vitamin E oil that I get from the drugstore - rub it on with my fingers and wipe it off with a tissue. I have dry skin, so the oil is rather soothing on my skin.

jayem

A-List Customer
I don't make my own, but I wash my face with a Mother of Pearl soap I got from the Hispanic market. It really does the trick, and removes all the makeup while leaving my skin soft and fresh.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I think the hardest part of removal is eyelash glue... That crap is there for life! LOL I just keep recleansing, until its gone, without tugging around the eye area.
Other than that, I use Aveno's Calming foaming cleanser (is that what it's called?). It's fragrance-free and non-irritating. I wished I had discovered it a lot sooner. I also use the calming moisturizer, but the SPF is only 15. I want to use higher SPFs, but the higher they go, the oiler and heavier they are.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
My favorite eye makeup remover

My favorite eye makeup remover is a tip I got from a makeup artist: extra-gentle baby wipes. (Before that my favorite was the blue Lancome eye makeup remover.) The baby wipes work just as well, for a much better price, and the container fits perfectly in the drawer of a vanity. I've yet to find a mascara they won't take off, and I like that they're not oily so you can reapply makeup right away after work, or just rinse and apply eye cream.

I used to use Huggies aloe for this, but switched to Seventh Generation because they're more earth friendly...I pop the refills into the old Huggies container. Baby wipes are also my favorite stain remover for clothing (can't take credit for that one--TV wardrobe people use them.)

Making your own eye makeup remover? As a contact lens wearer, I'd be too afraid of an eye infection (which if you've ever tried to get rid of, is quite the ordeal).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy