Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a Circle Skirt

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I did try a quick search as I'm sure this must have come up before, but I couldn't see anything...

I had a horrible realisation when I came back from a break in Russia to sunny Cambridge that I have almost no clothes suitable for hot weather. I really want to make myself a few cotton circle skirts and maybe a couple of dresses that will look nice thrown on in the heat and won't take forever to make. I've seen some really lovely cotton prints!

My problem is finding instructions for making a circle skirt - there seem to be so many of them, and I'm not sure how to know which one is best. Have any of you ladies followed a set of instructions that you found to be very good that you could recommend to me? I was hoping try it out in calico this weekend!

I only have a couple of requirements:

1. I don't want an elasticated waist

2. It needs to be around knee-length

Thank you very much for your help!

Cherry Berlin
xxx

Amie

One of the Regulars
I would go with a commercial pattern because they will give you step by step instructions and will tell you where to lengthen or shorten the pattern. I just finished a '50s circle skirt last week and it came out pretty nice. They're very basic, so you don't even need all that much instruction. I would purchase a circle skirt pattern from ebay and wouldn't hesitate to buy an actual vintage pattern.

susan

Familiar Face
I also used a commerical pattern and I´m very pleased with my circle skirts :) You can find vintage patterns on etsy or ebay easily for a good price.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Drappa has a lovely pattern with pleats - I'd go for something like that. The circle skirt I just made has a gathered waist and makes my hips look huge.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had a horrible realisation when I came back from a break in Russia to sunny Cambridge that I have almost no clothes suitable for hot weather.

A circle skirt isn't the best for hot weather. Thats 3+ yrds of fabric. That's a lot of fabric! An A line is good for the heat.

As for making the circle skirt, do you have experience sewing? I think its a myth that circle skirts are easy to make. If you alter the waist, then most of the time you have to alter the length. They are pretty tandem, so it can be a pain. People generally have a very tough time with the hem. It can make you pull your hair out! (personal experience)

Like the other ladies have suggested I'd go with a pattern. That would give you the best cut at least and you might just breeze on by with the hemming.

Good luck!

LD

Drappa

One Too Many
Drappa has a lovely pattern with pleats - I'd go for something like that. The circle skirt I just made has a gathered waist and makes my hips look huge.

Thanks Kate, and that pattern is actually just a huge square piece of fabric with some box pleats folded in.

I agree with Lady Day, I think circle skirts are difficult from just looking at the instructions and tutorials online, and I have shied away from making one so far. I'd definitely recommend using a pattern, and also letting it hang for a day or so before hemming, so the bias can hang itself out. Gertie from Gertie's Blog for Better Sewing had a great hemming tutorial for full skirts recently.

crwritt

One Too Many
If you can find a wrap circle skirt pattern similar to this
485e5dfa4bafe_59807n.jpg

it makes a great skirt for hot weather. My friends and I sewed many of them and wore them all summer in the mid 1970's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats