Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a Western hat by hand?

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Had to add Billy Jack :)

498613501-Tom_laughlin.jpg

and the early Gus and Woodrow...

yti8Hlhfw2JzZwpiN1bB2K358L.jpg
Wow. Billy Jack, haven't thought about him for a while. I was a teenager when I saw those movies. :)

Where is Miller's grave Jack?
Muddy Fork Cemetery, Clay County, Holt, MO.

If it was really Clell's skeleton the family received from the good doctor who killed him some yrs later, then Clell is among 5 Miller family members including his dad. It is unknown exactly in which plot he lies so no DNA test could accurately identify him.

The older monument was erected when Clell's father, Moses passed. Clell is noted on one side of the obelisk. The somewhat newer monument was erected some yrs later by either the UDC or SCV; perhaps both.

Last edited:

Yahoody

One Too Many
How long do your hats tend to last, for you? Can you show a picture of a similar hat at [what you consider] the end of its useful life?

Another example. This is from 25+ years ago now. Bought my wife to be the same Bailey 4X in silver belly as i had in black. The hat's first use was a 5 day, 100 mile back country ride, tenting along the way. It pissed down rain for five full days. Not one to complain she later told me the only thing dry on her the entire trip was under that hat :eek: That said bundled in a big yellow slicker.

Some where along the road I reshaped it 10 years or so ago.

2 years ago I had Rodney Allison clean, reblock and add a bound edge. Pretty hat even here, two years later.

Couple of hours after this picture was taken these two got in a pretty good wreck. No cell service or roads for miles, life flight out of the canyon. A a broken pelvis the worst of it. We've all had better days.

Cleaning up, collecting horses and gear after the helo left the hat looked like this.

Lucky for us she has a tough nut :)

With a little time, sand paper and a wire brush it looks like this now. Had to get a duplicate feather :) Not bad for a 25+ year old hat that sees regular use and not much tlc. Should tell ya lot just how durable the best of these hats can be. Decades left in this one considering its use to date.

Last edited:

Yahoody

One Too Many
Yahoody, I know you had a small pic in your list of open crown likes but I like these two also:

Contemplative look (& like the flour sack print shirt)
View attachment 108318

And with granddaughter
View attachment 108319
Thanks HJack. Often thought that movie really needed a prequel and a sequel. Great character and amazing costuming I thought. S&W, Sharps, Apache moccasins, spurs, floursack pull over shirt, saddles and of course the faded hat were really nice efforts I sure appreciated.

22_midi.jpg

still-of-tommy-lee-jones-and-cate-blanchett-in-the-missing-(2003)-large-picture.jpg

the-missing5.jpg

070313013037_2i1lt8oo7b.JPG

6YveStq0npJFRE8LqMb5jDhzr0t.jpg

and one of the better bad men....

9VsW0LZbvUWDAN7cRUDe1wCiXyg.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy