Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a Western hat by hand?

Tommy Lee Jones owns the screenplay rights to two more Elmer Kelton novels but I doubt they ever get made into movies. He has talked about how hard it is to get financing for a Western movie today.

The same with The Last Full Measure ever being financed by Ted Turner after the poor box office results for Gods and Generals.

Instead we get cartoon movies.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Bosal is sitting too high. I gotta work on my impulse control.

Ah, that one? It is a rope bosalita my friend, not a bosal :rolleyes: Being used as a make shift halter. So being made of rope and being it is a halter, traditionally it wouldn't be considered bosalita or bosal. Either way not so much too high as just too big. Nice choice on the head stall and grazer bit though. Next time? Use a sharper stick amigo ;)

Liked this too. Same basic rig, better done.

the-missing3.jpg

Bosilta being used to make a lead rope/halter while straight up in the Spade. Just so we have that all straight o_O

12814062_10207992247219556_8963055679590004503_n.jpg

Last edited:

Yahoody

One Too Many
Bosal is sitting too high. I gotta work on my impulse control.

Appreciate the joshing Bama'. Figure you're a Southern boy. Jack and you both can appreciate this I suspect. You guys ever read about the CSA Cavalry riding so long and so far that they strapped themselves into the saddle to sleep and had open sores on their legs for months at a time? I've done hundred mile days but those fellas are the definition of hard. Had to have gone through an unbelievable amount of horses.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Thanks HJack. Often thought that movie really needed a prequel and a sequel. Great character and amazing costuming I thought. S&W, Sharps, Apache moccasins, spurs, floursack pull over shirt, saddles and of course the faded hat were really nice efforts I sure appreciated.

22_midi.jpg

still-of-tommy-lee-jones-and-cate-blanchett-in-the-missing-(2003)-large-picture.jpg

the-missing5.jpg

070313013037_2i1lt8oo7b.JPG

6YveStq0npJFRE8LqMb5jDhzr0t.jpg

and one of the better bad men....

9VsW0LZbvUWDAN7cRUDe1wCiXyg.jpg
I'm liking the Sharps and Henry rifles!!

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Tommy Lee Jones owns the screenplay rights to two more Elmer Kelton novels but I doubt they ever get made into movies. He has talked about how hard it is to get financing for a Western movie today.

The same with The Last Full Measure ever being financed by Ted Turner after the poor box office results for Gods and Generals.

Instead we get cartoon movies.
That's too bad. We need more Westerns.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Kinda funny...as I had forgotten this. Where I come from, and several generations back I suspect, the last topics of any thing but exceptionally polite conversation would be, wives, girlfriends, kids, choice in hats, boots, saddle or horse. When ya start talking outside the parlor room with no ladies and kids in tow, about booze, tabacco, guns and lascivious women any thing goes. But the previously mentioned topics when broached at all, are generally always left to intimate conversation between close friends.

Conversations that ya really want to stay friendly about wives, kids, fences, horses, cattle and hats, generally begin and end with, "yep, that is one way to do it".

Pretty good way to avoid boorish behavior just about any where a fella might go o_O

Last edited:

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kinda funny...as I had forgotten this. Where I come from, and several generations back I suspect, the last topics of any thing but exceptionally polite conversation would be, wives, girlfriends, kids, choice in hats, boots, saddle or horse. When ya start talking booze, tabacco, guns and lascivious women any thing goes. But the previously mentioned topics are generally always left to intimate conversation between close friends.

Conversations that ya really want to stay friendly about wives, kids, fences, horses and cattle, generally begin and end with, "yep, that is one way to do it".

Pretty good way to avoid boorish behavior just about any where for a fella.
Great philosophy Yahoody! As my dad would say "more than one way to skin a cat", and leave it at that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ah, that one? It is a rope bosalita my friend, not a bosa

Yeah, Yahoody I'm aware. Just couldn't resist the opportunity to poke the bear. Remember my issues with impulse control.

Appreciate the joshing Bama'. Figure you're a Southern boy. Jack and you both can appreciate this I suspect. You guys ever read about the CSA Cavalry riding so long and so far that they strapped themselves into the saddle to sleep and had open sores on their legs for months at a time? I've done hundred mile days but those fellas are the definition of hard. Had to have gone through an unbelievable amount of horses.

I have read some of those stories. Horses were a tool to get the job done. Glad I've never had to ask that of a horse. 40-50 miles in a day is quite a day on horseback.

As a young man I lived in Scottsboro, Al which is in Jackson Co. At the time it was kind of a hot bed for quarter horses in AL. and it's where I first got into horses and bought my first one. There was a fellow there that raised registered AQH's and some of the finest I had been around at the time. He also raised mules and as a paving contractor and the owner of a dump truck business, he had a bit of disposable income. Even back then he was an old fellow that was beat up and limping but he loved his horses and loved to ride. I remember going to his place for the first time and him showing me his custom made saddle with a seat belt attached. Just the thought of strapping in scared the $#!+ out of me but he thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Jack, I know you enjoyed Lefty Brown, but what of the Hostiles, or did I miss your post on that?
I liked it. I've liked Christian Bale & Ben Foster since I saw them in the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. There was a nod or acknowledgement between Bale & Foster when Foster first appears on screen that I'm probably reading too much into, but I instantly thought back to their roles in 3:10... Wes Studi is always great, & I enjoyed seeing Stephen Lang again even though he had a small part. I understand from reviews that some think it too long & boring, but I enjoyed it.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I liked it. I've liked Christian Bale & Ben Foster since I saw them in the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. There was a nod or acknowledgement between Bale & Foster when Foster first appears on screen that I'm probably reading too much into, but I instantly thought back to their roles in 3:10... Wes Studi is always great, & I enjoyed seeing Stephen Lang again even though he had a small part. I understand from reviews that some think it too long & boring, but I enjoyed it.
I agree Jack. My wife and I thought it was much better than we were expecting. I also liked Bale in 3:10 to Yuma.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yahoody

One Too Many
I've seen both and enjoyed them immensely. Different production values for sure but good story lines and actors. Thought Bill Pullman did an outstanding job as Lefty.

Kathy Baker is just a distraction for me once she "lost her hand" as the crazy lady years back.
I can't seem to get over that character :(

I thought Hostiles was exceptional with everyone doing a damn near perfect job. Lot of folks I know or have discussed the movie with thought it way too politically correct. Kinda a given I guess in the cowboy and gun culture. It is a good story line with a lot packed into a short feature length film. I was jonesing to see it for a few month prior to opening and wasn't even a tiny bit disappointed. Far as I could tell only one historical inaccuracy...and I'll even give them that :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda