Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making pressed powder

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Could have swore I saw this posted some time ago, about how to make loose face powder into pressed for use in a compact.
I recall it involved rubbing alcohol. Could someone kindly post the how to?

St. Louis

Practically Family
Hi there. I'm very new to this forum, as you can see, but I'd like to weigh in on this thread. I've been experimenting with refilling vintage powder compacts. I think somewhere on this forum there was a conversation (though unfortunately now I can't find it) about using the above-mentioned recipe -- people tried it, and found that alcohol made the resulting pressed powder too hard. Someone suggested jojoba oil, which I've also tried, but with unexpected results. I found that the powder never dried at all -- though the combination of powder and jojoba created a wonderful make-up base!

The thing is, Coty Airspun face powder happens to have a shade that matches my complexion perfectly: it's the "muted beige." I couldn't have a better match if I'd had it custom blended. So I continued to search for ways of refilling some of my vintage powder compacts. I do also use loose powder, but I have to confess that I haven't yet perfected the method of powdering my nose in public without recreating a sandstorm in the Sahara.

So, long story a little longer, I found a 1942 recipe in Popular Mechanics (via google books) that seems to work. Here is the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7t...8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q="powder compact"&f=false

Now, I had to find the ingredients online, and I had to experiment with the recipe because I couldn't figure out how to measure a "grain," but it really did work. I don't want to write an encyclopedic post, so if you're interested, I'll be glad to give more details,

By the way, I happen to have a tiny bottle of vintage L'Origan perfume, and I used a few drops to scent the powder -- which is exactly the fragrance Coty used to perfume their Airspun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo