Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maltese Falcon Stolen from John's Grill

Phil

A-List Customer
Haversack said:
What is perhaps more telling is that the collection of books which was in the case were stolen as well. If I remember correctly, these included some first-edition Hammets (maybe with dust jackets). These are worth a considerable amount of money. Coincidentaly, the Antiquarian Book Fair is being held in San Francisco this weekend.

Haversack.

So, there were real first edition Hammets in there, and the guy is worried about a replica falcon? I'd offer the money for the books, I'll ebay the falcon.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its on the front of the SF chronicle today. Well, weather it be a joke or real, this is getting that grill a lot of press he couldnt pay for lol

I pass by there almost every day, now I can put a story to the place.

LD

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzzbaby said:
The hours it went missing is the prime time for extremely drunken patrons to do silly things like swipe things from a bar. The person that did this may not even realize the true value of what they have. Here is to hoping that it is returned or the ghost of Bogey will pull a 'Boogie' man on the swiper.

Stolen from a locked display case? You suspect drunken bar patrons of pulling this off? No way. Whoever did it knows EXACTLY what they have and the true value. And a $25,000 reward for something valued in the 7 figures? Lowballin' that reward a little, aren't they?

Mike in Seattle

Marc Chevalier said:
FordFalconXM01.jpg

:eusa_clap lol :) :eusa_clap lol :) :eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
Mike in Seattle said:
Stolen from a locked display case? You suspect drunken bar patrons of pulling this off? No way. Whoever did it knows EXACTLY what they have and the true value. And a $25,000 reward for something valued in the 7 figures? Lowballin' that reward a little, aren't they?
7 figures for Elisha Cook Jr's. autograph??:eek:

Mike in Seattle

Feraud said:
7 figures for Elisha Cook Jr's. autograph??:eek:

One of the other authenticated Falcons went for just under $400K 7-8 years ago, so I figure in that time the going price has got to have broken a million easily. And Cook's autograph would add some value to it as well.

But it would be like stealing the Hope Diamond or the Crown Jewels - you've got to have a pre-arranged buyer ready and waiting, because like the bird in the movie, sellling it through normal channels would be impossible, and the new owner certainly can't advertise the fact they're in possession of stolen property of that magnitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats