Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"marbled" grain?

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I see posts here mentioning "marbled" grain, and jackets that exhibit "marbling" with time. Not being sure of what this means, I thought I'd ask. Of course a picture is worth a thousand words (sometimes more).

Thanks!

It's just the way the grain patterns form on the hide after wear. An irregular grain with a slightly puffy marbled appearance. I have noticed it a little on a few of my heavy vintage 'steer' motorcycle jackets as well..but moreso with the heavy FQHH from Horween that Aero uses. Seems it is due to movement and softening of the hide when wearing.
I started noticing it on the shoulders of my first Aero jacket(HighWayMan)..then on the back..and in places along the waistband. Same effect is now developing on my new FQHH Bootlegger.
Here's a pic of my Highwayman just a few months old with the beginnings of what I call marbling....

100_0411.jpg

HD

..And I may be wrong..but..to me,Nick,that looks more like antiquing of the dye offering a marbling color effect rather than heavily marbled grain. My new Bootlegger is,somewhat,tanned or finished in that way which for me is also desirable.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Thanks HD, I can understand that.

Dav, I've seen hides that look like that. It almost appears that the veins of the animal left permanent marks on the hide (that marking is even more prominent on the backside of the hide).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn