Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marcel Wave iron vs. "regular" curling iron

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies:

Can someone tell me what the difference between the two is? For some reason, I always thought a Marcel iron was like those crimping irons popular in the late '80's early' 90's. But from the pictures I've seen, they look like regular curling irons. Also, I've seen a lot posted about a triple barrel curling iron. What type of curl does that make? Does anyone use a Marcel iron?

Thanks Ladies:) :)

texasgirl

One Too Many
There are 2 types of handles for Curling Irons:

Spring Type - means that you will use your thumb to open the iron, and a spring will close the iron. Spring type irons are normally found in the home.

Marcel Type - means that your hand will close and open the iron. There is no spring to cause the iron to close. Your hand controls the pressure on the hair. Marcel irons are used by professionals in a Salon since it is more versatile when working with the hair. (handle can rotate)

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I posted some pics on the fingerwave thread

I'll repost these here.

This is my hair with the triple barrel...
image_00629.jpg

image_00631.jpg

I did it quick over a brushed out set. It does give it a very nice wave.

Honey Doll

P

Phaedra

Would a triple barrel curling iron work on shoulder length hair with some layers? Any helpful hints would be great. Thanks!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Phaedra said:
Would a triple barrel curling iron work on shoulder length hair with some layers? Any helpful hints would be great. Thanks!

My hair hits right at shoulder length and has long layers and it works for me.

Honey Doll

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the input..:) I think I'm going to get a triple barrel iron but now I have another question. Do you curl your whole head with the triple barrel or just do the sides and curl the bottom and back somehow else?

Rosie

One Too Many
Does one use a triple barrel the same way you would used a "regular iron? Just curl hair around? I've always seen them in the beauty supply store and of course was fascinated but, I always thought you would just press the curler onto your hair, like to make wave impressions.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Rosie said:
Does one use a triple barrel the same way you would used a "regular iron? Just curl hair around? I've always seen them in the beauty supply store and of course was fascinated but, I always thought you would just press the curler onto your hair, like to make wave impressions.

I think you just use it like a straightener, hold it down on the hair and it puts the waves in! I really want one of these triple barrels but having problems finding a decent pair in the UK!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Qs

It does work like a straightener, just clamp down and impress the waves (don't curl hair around the barrel or I would think you'd be pretty tangled up!)

Sometimes I wave it all as best I can manage, sometimes I place a few waves and set the back or do an up do.

Honey Doll

P

Phaedra

Honey Doll said:
My hair hits right at shoulder length and has long layers and it works for me.

Honey Doll

Thank you! I'm going to see if I can find one and give it a try.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have a triple barrel iron, but it just doesn't look like the real thing when I use it. The waves don't go in the right direction. I prefer finger waves or pin curls.

I can use a regular singular iron, but that takes all day.

Here's real waves:

152325095_a898061033_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21