Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching your partner?

TessTrueheart

Beside the sad fact that people don't seem to dress up for special occasions aymore, I've noticed that people don't seem to dress "as couples" anymore. I go to weddings and christenings and such and find it odd that some couples don't look like they belong together, sometimes it looks as if they are not even going to the same function. He'll be wearing a suit and she'll be wearing jeans or a denim skirt, or the other way around, he'll wear jeans and she'll be in a dress. Am I the only one who thinks this looks sloppy? Do you ever dress to match your partner?

CharlesB

Suspended
TessTrueheart said:
Beside the sad fact that people don't seem to dress up for special occasions aymore, I've noticed that people don't seem to dress "as couples" anymore. I go to weddings and christenings and such and find it odd that some couples don't look like they belong together, sometimes it looks as if they are not even going to the same function. He'll be wearing a suit and she'll be wearing jeans or a denim skirt, or the other way around, he'll wear jeans and she'll be in a dress. Am I the only one who thinks this looks sloppy? Do you ever dress to match your partner?
Me n the gf firmly believe that going to an event is just that and choose to dress the part

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
My boyfriend and I match on the weekends when we're able to hang out together. We tend to wear same colors. We usually wear blacks and blues. It feels like we're more a couple when we go places. I like it. Is this an old fashioned trend?

Barbigirl

Practically Family
~

We always dress to match, we call each other to talk about what we are going to wear to events.

Post Script: Can I clarify? I am talking matching event attire meaning business casual, dinner out, theatre, cocktail, ballet, evening, gala, etc.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The girl I am seeing now has her own distinctive look and I respect it enitrely. It's that Anthropologie look, which I like very much. I would never dream of asking her to dress differently or to influence the manner in which she dresses in anyway, no matter where we are going. I accept her and appreciate her for exactly who she is. :)

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
The girl I am seeing now has her own distinctive look and I respect it enitrely. It's that Anthropologie look, which I like very much. I would never dream of asking her to dress differently or to influence the manner in which she dresses in anyway, no matter where we are going. I accept her and appreciate her for exactly who she is. :)

Doesn't mean to dress exactly alike, but I'm sure you have similar colors? You guys could wear earth tones together. That's an expensive look she has....sounds like a keeper :)

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I've never understood the sloppy look. Guys wearing untucked shirts with a bad fitting sportcoat and jeans, that sort of thing. I'm always disgusted to see well dressed women out to dinner and their date looking like a slob. The Mrs. and I do not try and coordinate colors and the like, but we will generally go casual together or dress up together. I'd never wish to be seen with her wearing a dress and me in jeans. I'd be terribly embarassed to be seen that way.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Mine is a jeans and black t-shirt boy. There is the rare occasion when he will stray from that uniform. He does however know when it is appropriate to dress up and generally we will talk about the level at which we will dress. I am usually over-dressed to be honest. I only worry about colors when I know there is going to be photos.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
We never dress to match intentionally, but we have been told we do. We like the same colours, and we always love to dress up for any, (or none,) occasion, so that might be the explanation for the "matching." I guess that cocktail dresses and pin-stripe suits match in peoples eyes.

I wouldn't mind if our styles totally crashed, though. In fact, I was somewhat annoyed the first time we were told that we "match." It reminds me of couples wearing the same all-weather jackets, and that is kind of an Norwegian expression describing boring, personality deprived couples.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RetroBabydoll said:
Doesn't mean to dress exactly alike, but I'm sure you have similar colors? You guys could wear earth tones together. That's an expensive look she has....sounds like a keeper :)
You know that I am huge on earth tones! -Especially tweeds. Over the weekend, she was wearing this new green tweed coat and she would never admit to it, but... it was tweed and I was thinknig, "I wonder where she got that idea!" Perhaps it's an evolution and you just start coordinating naturally. ;)

I just read what I wrote before and I typed it quickly and at work. It wasn't meant as a response to anything anyone else wrote, just that she is a strong individual and that I respect her for who she is and would never dream of influencing her. :)

Brinybay

Practically Family
I don't have a lady friend at the moment, so I don't worry about if I "match", except that I'll make some effort to look neat and groomed if going out as a group with friends, e.g. shoes polished, hair neet, shaved, showered, collared shirt (tucked, no t's or sweatshirts) and at least a clean pair of jeans, but I'm looking to "graduate" from jeans, not sure what to get. Also shirts. Since joining this forum, I realized I have a very limited collection of shirts. Of the collared shirts, they're all golf or flannel shirts, except for the dress shirts, but they don't look right w/o a tie.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
When my boyfriend and I are dressing casually, we both tend to do the casual 50's/rockabilly look. Therefore, sometimes we're both wearing plaid flannels or western shirts, which can be a little embarrassing if it happens too many times in a row!

We never dress to match, but we both understand that if we are going to an even that requires dressing up, we dress up. The only times where we really consult each other is when we're going out to dinner, just so one of us doesn't end up being more formal or casual than the other by accident.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
My husband and I always inquire with one another about what the clothing will be for the day (when we aren't on our separate ways to work -very different work places.) We don't "match," but we will both wear "outdoorsy" or "dressed-up" and the like so that one isn't the odd one out for the day. In fact, as we are flushing out our wardrobes we are actually purchasing similar styles so that we can dress "together." Tweed is the obsession right now.

CharlesB

Suspended
With me n the gf its usually this:

"So what are we doing tonight..."

"Oh we're going to so n so..."

"so are we dressing up, suit n tie or u want me to just throw on a blazer..."

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
You know that I am huge on earth tones! -Especially tweeds. Over the weekend, she was wearing this new green tweed coat and she would never admit to it, but... it was tweed and I was thinknig, "I wonder where she got that idea!" Perhaps it's an evolution and you just start coordinating naturally. ;)

I just read what I wrote before and I typed it quickly and at work. It wasn't meant as a response to anything anyone else wrote, just that she is a strong individual and that I respect her for who she is and would never dream of influencing her. :)

She's noticing your style. That's awesome. I hear they have a swing line coming out in spring for anthropologie.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
One of my exes used to try and dress to match what I wore, and I hated it. I always used to keep another outfit aside, call a cab, and then change again just before it arrived.

I think it looks better if the couple are dressed up to the same degree (for example evening dress/jeans combo would look awful), but colour coordinating etc? Um, not for me. [huh]

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
PolkaDotMeggie said:
:eek:fftopic: RetroBabydoll,

I was just there Saturday- that's where I got me new yellow dress.

Did their new line come out for spring? I sure hope so. I'm glad you were able to go.....I don't have time to. I'll check out them online. :)

D

DeaconKC

Been married to the lady of the House for 23 years now. I learned long ago, that if she likes something on me, I will get lots of compliments. So I do the smart thing and let her pick my ensemble for when we go out. Otherwise at work, jeans, cowboy boots and a shirt with collar and pocket [preferably 2]. I am not sure I ever remember us deliberately dressing alike, as she is a tall, long legged beauty and I'm an over-sized bear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters