Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maybe stupid question (+intro)

rotten03

New in Town
Hi all. I'm "new" here. I've been reading here for a couple of years but being all over the world in the Army and having no permanent email address I couldn't be a member. ( I tried and was shot down) I'm out now and got a "permanent" email address. My wife and I sell vintage women's clothing on ebay. We both love vintage style but its alot easier for a small girl to find great clothes than a big guy like me. :) Just comes with the territory.

I've done extensive searching and havent come up with much. Like I said i'm a bigger guy and have a larger head. Around 24 1/4". So i'm kind of between sizes and I dont have much luck with hats. My only fedora is a Bailey that was too small. Not only was it too small but the stingy brim just looks ridiculous on my tall and big head. Do any people with taller and larger heads know of any particular models that work well on a head of this shape. I'm leaning towards the Federation, but I'm gun shy. There are no hat shops nearby. Well I take that back, there is an Optimo shop that looks to sell only straw hats. I'm not wanting to drop the kind of money Optimos go for. Plus they want you to schedule a time to come in for a fitting. Too upscale for me. Any advice that you bigger guys can give would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to being a full fledged member!

Looks like you are a 7 3/4 hat size with that kind of head measurement.
I would go with at least a 2 1/2" brim on any hat you get.
Finding a hat in that size vintage is going to take some doing so I understand the need to go new. I am not that versed on what is available off the rack perse so someone else can help you there but the Federation has a good reputation.

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Federation is a great hat, it has a wider brim and a taller crown which ought to work. They're sold by Hats Direct in Australia, and if they have your size in stock, you can get your hat very quickly. They're sized in metric, your tape measure (cloth is best) probably has metric as well as inches.

Measure carefully and don't be concerned if the hat is slightly loose when you get it, the leather sweatband will conform itself to your head with wear.

The Federation comes "Open crown" which means it isn't shaped. Browse around the Lounge for shaping tips and examples. Take your time shaping and don't be afraid to experiment.

K

kpreed

Welcome!

Welcome to the Lounge! Enjoy. Yes ,I have found you have only up to 7 5/8 in a new Bailey, but a new Stetson goes up to size 8. Good luck and I have seen a few larger size vintage hat on auction sites too.

rotten03

New in Town
I just learned about long oval. So i'm gonna go home and find out if I got an even harder head to find a hat for. I've always avoided hats in general. But i'm liking different kinds more and more. Most of my negative hat experience has been with adjustable baseball hats. They never looked right so I never bothered with hats. Now my tastes are changing and I need to get this stuff sorted. Thanks for the advice.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome fellow soldier!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
The federation should be a great beginning hat for you!...Or Maybe the Campdraft (another Akubra)...You'll have to request that one from Hatsdirect, it's not listed on their website.
Anyway...welcome from the darkness into he light of the lounge!
Colby Jack

MikeS

New in Town
Here's the listings I have for Arizona other than Optimo but I'm not sure if they are anywhere near you. The Az-Tex stores look to be more into the Western styles but you never know...They are listed as full service renovators and list custom hats as an option.

Arizona Hatters
2790 N Campbell, Tucson AZ 85719
(520) 292-1320

Az-Tex Hats
3903 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale AZ 85251
(480) 481-9900 0r (800) 972-2116
www.aztexhats.com

Az-Tex Hats
10658 N 32nd St, Phoenix AZ 85028
(602)971-9090 0r (800) 972-2116
www.aztexhats.com

If you are a long oval, which is not uncommon, look for a pliable felt if you are buying off the rack. More pliable felts fit better with less need for padding or stretching. It's always easier to buy the larger size and pad, if needs be, than to buy the correct size and adjust.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
HOOWAH!

Welcome to the lounge!! The federation is great and just tell them you need long oval and they will take care of it for you! I don't know what color you would be interested in but fatdutchman has a great looking tawny fawn!

rotten03

New in Town
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I've been eyeing hatsdirect. I'll check them out for sure.

MikeS: I'm practically in Mexico. So everything is far away for me. I've checked out AZ hatters website. They seem to be western as well. I guess i'm just going to have to play the exchange game on some hats. My wife says my Hanna cap came in today. So we'll see how that works out.

MikeS

New in Town
Good luck in your search. It's kind of like an adventure...

"Rotten03 and the quest for the well fitting hat."

Darn it, where's that "Indy" font? lol

sphughes

Familiar Face
Hello from another noob. I have a similar sized melon and I just received my first hat from www.noggintops.com. I chose a size 62 Akubra Banjo Patterson and got it quickly. They include a couple strips of material that can be inserted inside the interior band to adjust the size and they are great to deal with on the phone. I LOVE this hat!!!

-Scott

tm3

Familiar Face
rotten03 said:
I just learned about long oval. So i'm gonna go home and find out if I got an even harder head to find a hat for.

if you are a 7 3/4 but off the rack 7 3/4 hats feel tight front to back with space on the sides, then you are long oval or maybe extra long oval.

there might be a store in your area that sells western hats you could try on for sizing, and sometimes these come in long oval sizes.

imo nothing beats being able to try hats on in person and choose what feels best. any mail order hat (or other clothing item) is risky. hatsdirect has a liberal return policy (as any hat vendor should) but shipping back and forth to australia is expensive and you have to pick up that cost.

i've heard that hatsdirect can do some long oval shaping -- i'm not sure what that means, but might mean that they stretch the hat front to back before sending it out. i don't know if that works long term.

i'm a 7 3/4 long oval and am interested in an akubra federation. i found a banjo patterson on sale in the USA and picked one up in size 62. it is certainly wearable but a little more snug front to back than optimal. so i'm unsure with the fed whether to order a 62 and have hatsdirect long-oval it, or go up to a 63. too big is much better than too small imo.

if you don't have your heart set on the fedora style federation model you could order another akubra from a USA dealer and exchange it for less expense if needed. i initially was not that attracted to the banjo patterson but could not pass up the price and it has turned out to be a great hat -- i get multiple compliments on it every time i wear it.

hope some of that was helpful -- good luck!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
tm3 said:
i've heard that hatsdirect can do some long oval shaping -- i'm not sure what that means, but might mean that they stretch the hat front to back before sending it out. i don't know if that works long term.

i'm a 7 3/4 long oval and am interested in an akubra federation. i found a banjo patterson on sale in the USA and picked one up in size 62. it is certainly wearable but a little more snug front to back than optimal. so i'm unsure with the fed whether to order a 62 and have hatsdirect long-oval it, or go up to a 63. too big is much better than too small imo.
:D :D
I have a federation from hatsdirect and will definitely give them more business in the future. I am also a size 61 long oval. They long ovaled it for me and it has remained that way since. They are excellent to deal with and the federation is a great hat for a low price.:D :D

rotten03

New in Town
No doubt. I had a student that bought gold as an investment. Actual gold pieces. Used to carry it around in an aluminum briefcase because he didnt have a good hiding place at his house. I made fun of the guy relentlessly. Now that I see the dollar falling and gold going up. I can't help but think maybe he was onto something. :) Maybe I should have been buying too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24