Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MDFrench's BIG Classic Movie Project

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

What I am about to post might have one of two results. One, I stick my neck out too far and get burned - or two, the project is successful and everyone benefits.

Anyway, here goes. While the movie studios have done a great job of releasing a good number of classic movies to DVD and other home video formats, there are just too many great films out there that many of us want to see and can only hope to catch through being off of work at the right time or whatnot.

Well, through the benefit of cable and a high-end DVR machine, I have started a massive archive of classic films, all commerical free and full length. I started doing this when I realized that some of my favorite Jimmy Stewart Westerns weren't available on home video.

I have always been a big movie collector, as many on this website (MK) can attest. I also run www.frenchbrosreviews.com and went to film school - yeah, it's in my blood. Anyway, throughout the last few months I have siphoned off a lot of stuff and put them into DVD format. To date, I have amassed 656 titles, including the approximately 400 commercial DVDs I already have. That's 256 extra films acquired since September alone and I am acquiring loads more every minute of every day! The picture quality of these is only one recording step down from a commercial DVD, to save space of course and also allow the machine to record more movies in 12 hour blocks. They are still broadcast quality on a standard TV - I know, I'm watching one right now.

My point in telling all of you is this: If for any reason, anyone here at the Fedora Lounge needs access to a classic movie, be it for a clothing reference or simply posterity, and cannot gain access to the title, please contact me and I will see if I have it in my archive. If I do, I can make arrangements to provide it to you AT NO CHARGE - I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING - I only want to ensure that members of this forum can get the footage and screengrabs they need for their golden-era projects and being able to watch their favorite stars in more obscure titles.

Anyway, that's my rant - Thanks for listening.

Feraud

Bartender
Thank you for offering this. I have been wanting to add to my collection a few films that are not available on DVD or VHS.
Perhaps I will take you up on this generous offer.

Jake

One of the Regulars
Test Pilot

I have been trying to get my hands on a copy of "Test Pilot" with Clark Gable and Spenser Tracy.......Jake

MDFrench

A-List Customer
I don't have Test Pilot on DVD, but I MAY have it on an as-yet-to-be-viewed VHS tape which I complied off TCM some months ago - Provided, quality will be compromised significantly, but rest assured, as soon as it hits TCM or another channel again, I will be copying it new for DVD archiving -

If you're interested in this copy anyway, I could drop it to a DVD for you assuming I actually have it - but quality WILL be poor.

Mike

Jake

One of the Regulars
Movie

Thanks, MD I can wait untill you can get a clean copy on DVD. This is a great idea you have come up with....Jake

Feraud

Bartender
Grand Central Murder (1942)

Hi MDFrench,
Considering your offer, I am wondering if you would have this film in your archive. Grand Central Murder w/Van Heflin. If so, please feel free to contact me regarding shipping charges, etc.

Thank you.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Mike, if you don't already have it, don't worry about it. I just thought in the off chance that you might have it, then that'd be cool, but I don't want you going out of your way to find it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari