Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA vintage, as in 200+ years old,......

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
What do you think? Could something like this survive 200 years or more in this kind of condition? Maybe it's a later costume copy? In any case, it's interesting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220949571170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The fact that the seller deals in "vintage and rock" apparel makes me more suspicious than anything. There are Ottoman garments in Topkapi palace that are 600 years old, so it's certainly possible for clothing to survive that long.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The fact that the seller deals in "vintage and rock" apparel makes me more suspicious than anything. There are Ottoman garments in Topkapi palace that are 600 years old, so it's certainly possible for clothing to survive that long.
Yeah, and the fact that they have several similar pieces listed that are costume replicas.
I think it's very rare for an article of clothing over 100 years old to survive in any sort of presentable condition without special care and conservation.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I think it's very rare for an article of clothing over 100 years old to survive in any sort of presentable condition without special care and conservation.
Yes, but many of the pieces that are now under what we consider "special care" managed to survive for hundreds of years stuffed in trunks, or displayed away from direct sunlight. Local climate can be friend or foe.

Cobden

Practically Family
It doesn't seem to fit in with any male fashion of any period. The general look is late 17th or early 18th Century (closer to 300 years old at any rate), but the style of cuffs and the front fastening doesn't seem to fit that period particularly well.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, looks more like Samuel Pepys era than anything else. That would really make me think old movie costume or something. Really needs lots more pics. Looks like the left cuff is missing, also.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Years ago I read a story about Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953. One of the attendees wanted to wear an embroidered cape with ermine collar, that had been worn at every coronation since the 1300s by his ancestors. But the cape was filthy. He tried to get it dry cleaned but the dry cleaner was afraid of what might happen to a garment that old in the dry cleaning fluid. The owner pointed out he had nothing to lose since it was no good as it was.

They tried the experiment, and when the cape came out of the machine the ermine collar had disappeared! Further inspection revealed, that the collar had gotten tucked inside the cape. It came out perfectly clean, and the owner wore it to the coronation.

I don't know how long a garment can survive but have heard of cloth being dug up in archaeological digs in England and northern Europe, that date to the 6th century. Have heard of other specimens in wet, airless environments being dug up intact after thousands of years.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I toured Canterbury Cathedral once. At the tomb of the Black Prince, who died in 1376, there was a nitrogen-filled case which displayed a cloth garment belonging to him which had been carried in his funeral procession. It appeared to be in excellent shape. I'm not sure when it was preserved in the nitrogen filled case, but I'm guessing it was a LONG time after 1376!

Flicka

One Too Many
There are plenty of 18th century clothes in as good (or better) condition in museums all over the world. As for this, I couldn't say, but I would put the style more towards the mid-18th century if anything. Not only does it lack the cuffs of late 17th/early 18th century, but it's also not cut with the full skirts of that period. I'm thinking it looks more 1730s-1740s. The lack of collar makes me say not later than the 1760s anyway.

However, considering the seller, the lack of provenience and the price, my bet would be it's a retired theatre costume or similar.

Just my 2 cents. It was a while since I brushed up on 18th century fashion and I'm generally better at women's fashion.

pipvh

Practically Family
I saw some perfectly preserved mid-18th C clothing in Exeter Museum a few weeks ago. They'd been stored in dowry chests and looked - essentially - like modern fakes, except that the level of skill and sheer quality was unlike anything that would be made today.

The thing about theatrical costumes is that they generally look as if they've been made from upholstery material or curtains and the brocades and embroidery are usually primitive. The ebay piece looks like real silk damask and the embroidery seems to be of very high quality indeed. And it does have one cuff. I'm not sure that things like this are particularly rare - you used to see 18th C clothing quite regularly in the London antique shops and markets... Anyway, at $47 it's not much of a gamble. If it's fake you can always make cushions out of it!

Flicka

One Too Many
Just to give a clue on both how well-preserved 18th century fashion can be (and what it can cost), here's a beautiful silk banyan sold by Christie's a while back:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5178791

The thing about theatrical costumes is that they generally look as if they've been made from upholstery material or curtains and the brocades and embroidery are usually primitive. The ebay piece looks like real silk damask and the embroidery seems to be of very high quality indeed. And it does have one cuff. I'm not sure that things like this are particularly rare - you used to see 18th C clothing quite regularly in the London antique shops and markets... Anyway, at $47 it's not much of a gamble. If it's fake you can always make cushions out of it!

I agree on the fabric; it did make me think it might be genuine. It's just that without examining it, it's hard to say. If it is, I'm still dating it to around 1730 based on that photo. And $47 is definitely not much to pay for a lottery ticket where the prize is an 18th century garment. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot