Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Melrose Diner Clock (It's arrived, and I have pictures)

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
I love this tread but I've been to only a handful of diners in the handful of visits to your country...the best that I recall in terms of original fixtures, phonebooths and all, was an establishment I've forgotten the name of on a road trip back from Vermont in some also forgettable buttfuck Massachusetts town. The other place that comes to mind is Louis in Gainesville, Florida a diner I've visited a number of times. I just googled it found a few images in amongst others of Gainesville;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lahousden/page3/

It looks like its been 'ruined' since my last visit circa 2002. I was planning another visit to Florida with in the next twelve months and I wanted to introduce a friend to Louis but now I don't think I bother. The vintage Pepsi sign out front etc etc looks to be absent and I guess the original old photos of Louis in 1948, Louis in 1933, and best of all Louis in 1919 have also walked...but on the plus side maybe they serve drinkable coffee now.

TK

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's in the kitchen. It probably would have fit in in my room, what with all the framed photos of diners and the paintings and the porcelain panels and all, but at this point, I have no more wall space.

Looks great in the kitchen. It's under a skylight, so the stainless really sparkles.

I'm trying to track down a photo of the interior of the diner that shows the clock, so I can frame it and put it up underneath the clock.

Wonderful clock and you did a great job cleaning it up!!! Being Philly born and raised...I've been in the Melrose countless times as well. But I wasn't born until '79 so your clock was likely taken down already. Either way, great piece of history you have there. Congrats! :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
funny you should ask. It just opened up yesterday.
http://www.roadsideonline.com/index.php
you have to register to use it, but that's easy to do.
Just registered. Question: Quite a few years ago I subscribed to a newsletter called Roadside, or something close to it, that was all about diners. I had a really cool calendar of diners from them one year. Is this the same? A resurrection of the previous? Whatever it is, I'm for it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Yeah, roadside magazine's been published for a number of years. It was known as by the way magazine for a couple yeas, as well.
It's probably the same thing you used to subscribe to.

And if you have any changes or more recent pictures for the finder, you can email them to the magazine. The more people who contribute to it, the more accurate and up to date it stays.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for the link Dinerman! I'm registered, and have found two within an hour or so. A 1920's O'Mahoney in Kent, and a 1958 Kullman in Canton.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Matching Paramount diner company ashtray and a Jerry O'Mahony diner pencil from 1941
IMG_4561.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
Tommy Katkins said:
The other place that comes to mind is Louis in Gainesville, Florida a diner I've visited a number of times. I just googled it found a few images in amongst others of Gainesville;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lahousden/page3/

It looks like its been 'ruined' since my last visit circa 2002. I was planning another visit to Florida with in the next twelve months and I wanted to introduce a friend to Louis but now I don't think I bother. The vintage Pepsi sign out front etc etc looks to be absent and I guess the original old photos of Louis in 1948, Louis in 1933, and best of all Louis in 1919 have also walked...but on the plus side maybe they serve drinkable coffee now.

TK

:eek: How dare you, Sir?! That is blasphemy.lol

I ate at Louis' just yesterday, and it is like it has always been. I think someone ran over the sign, so there is a new one... plus, they serve Coke anyway. The inside has not changed one iota, except there might be more newpaper articles on the walls.

Of course, the burgers are still great, and Louis' son Tommy is still manning the grill after all these years. (for those that don't know, the original Louis worked at the place until he was 103.)

Louis' Lunch, Gainesville, FL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
John K Stetson said:
Nice find and clean up, dinerman. I just checked - the Philadelphia Curling Club is still in existence - and still in Paoli, PA!

It sure is. I go there once a year for a Bonspiel, and it's there that I picked up the matchbook. Nice club, if a tad small. Good homey feel, and great people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24