Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Memorial Day- Who will you remember?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
gXNktMufniJDEIjTCM1eAVlUjpq6NtWu0174.jpg

Too many Americans think of Memorial day as a time for sales and a day off from work. I've even had people wish me a "Happy Memorial Day!"

I will be thinking of my grandmother's brother who was killed at Normandy. I never met him; I have only seen the handsome man in the framed photograph.

I will think of the families who have lost loved ones.

I will think of the people I have never met, yet gave so much so I can be free.

I have a letter from World War One that a son wrote to his father. I don't know if he ever made it home. I like to read my collection of WWI era magazines that have photographs of soldiers. I don't want them to be forgotten.

Do you have any special rituals, thoughts or plans?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Dad

I'll remember my Dad, who fought in the Battle of the Bulge.
I walk the dogs in a nearby cemetery. I try to pause before the war memorials there each time. It's an ongoing remembrance, I think.

Then again, there's Empire Day, set aside "to remember all those who gave their lives to keep China British!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My grandparents of course -- even though neither of them saw military service, they were nonetheless members of the Greatest Generation.

My great-uncle, Capt. Earle Greenlaw, who survived two weeks adrift on a raft in the South Pacific with several members of his crew after his ship was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine.

And I'll also pause to think about the several boys from our area who won't be coming home from the current war.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Having been to Normandy a few years ago, I will never forget the sea of grave markers there, nor those which seem to stretch forever in Los Angeles along the 405 Freeway at the Veterans' Cemetery. Both are poignant, sobering reminders of the precious cost of freedom. Additionally, I was able to visit our nation's Capitol this weekend and walk along the wall which bears the names of those who died in VietNam, and was deeply moved by the sheer number of them and their ultimate sacrifice. In my opinion, we don't hear near enough about these individuals and hear way TOO much about the armchair critics and those who sit back and discuss ad nauseum for years on end whether we should have done this or should have done that (and how much more brilliant, informed, and wise THEY are than the people who shoulder the burden to make the hard decisions and those who carry them out). As MK has in his quote, "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Thank you, Edmund Burke. And my personal prayer of thanks to God for those who stood tall and gave... all.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Mother and I visited the Laurel Hill Cemetary in Des Moines, yesterday, and left flowers are several gravesites. My father is in the veterans section, lots of flags flying and an "avenue of flags," which were donated by widows of veterans, including my mother. We also left flowers at the graves of our in-laws, and my Uncle Tony and my grandparents.

Father was in the Navy in WW II, stationed around the U.S. and assigned to the U.S.S. Vogelgesang. He was a baker. My Uncle Tony was in Europe and sent to Germany about the time the war ended. Our in-law, Mr. Wheeler, was in the U.S. Marine Corps and was a WW II vet. My Uncle Charlie served in the Great War.

My grandparents, who died in the 50's, were buried a short ways up the hill, so we took some flowers to them. Their graves probably hadn't been decorated in eons. Same with my Uncle Glen. Nobody left alive to decorate except mother and me.

One thing I wanted to say, also. I have been following on Wikipedia the count-down of the remaining Great War (WW I) soldiers. There are 74 left, and that includes all of them -- American, English, Italian, French, German, etc. Just a few left alive in all those countries; in some countries, they are now all gone. They are all well over 100 now, some into the "super centenarian" age (110-plus), one of them, a Puerto Rican who is a U.S. veteran, is considered the oldest living man in the world. He is 115 years old. I guess I missed, on TV, a special about them called "The Last of the Tommies." Wish I had seen it. Did anyone here see it?

karol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Current War Dead

Last weekend, more than 400 flags were placed on the square of the downtown here. 107 of them represent Ohio men and women killed in the current war. It was quite a moving ceremony.

flags2.jpg

Ohio Flags of Honor is traveling our state with this display.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
God Bless America

My Dad and my uncles. All WWII vets (all deceased)

All our servicemen and women of Today and Yesterday.

Sachet

Familiar Face
My dad, who was a medic in WWII and so proud to have served his country.

I can smile now over the stories he used to tell of his "buddies". He was a master story teller.

S

Samsa

Both of my Grandfathers, who fought in (and thankfully survived) the Second World War. I would post some great old war-time photos I have of my paternal Grandfather, but all of those are back in Ohio with my Grandmother.

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I remember my great uncle who served in the Pacific - he just died last year. My other great uncle who served (in Europe) is still alive and strangely enough, all he wants to talk about is the war when before, it was hard to get any kind of story out of him.

But I also remember all of those who lost their lives in the service of their country. We simply cannot forget their sacrifices, past and present. I just finished watching a documentary on those who have received the Medal of Honor - very touching - and also watched "A Wing and A Prayer" with Dana Andrews. I often like to watch WW2 movies on Memorial Day.

My brother also loaned me his copy of "Band of Brothers" (with the understanding that I protect it at all costs ;) ) and I plan to start watching that tomorrow, as well. No, haven't seen it yet - I blame my lack of cable television for that one.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
All those Americans...

Who through their actions have put their bodies in mortal danger in the name of freedom and democracy for others less able to physically express their desires and rights as human beings. I salute you and am humbled by you and am motivated by you. Wm. Paddy Middleton.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just a few...and SO MANY MORE

Both my grandfathers..one in the Navy in WWI and WWII, and my other grandfather who was wounded in the Ardens in 1918. His Purple Heart is a big framed poster like certificate. Guess that predated the medals.

And my Dad. He served in the Navy, in the far reaches of Alaska, Kodiak Island, at an air base.

J.B.

Practically Family
Just remembering my father-in-law who served in the Army AF, WW2. Passed away in 2001. Love ya, Dad! :)

Etienne

A-List Customer
Hi, Dixon, just a little bit of trivia, so to speak, but just a few short years ago when my Dad was being treated at the V.A. Medical Center in Los Angeles, he pointed out Audie Murphy's wife to me there; she has been a volunteer there for years and years helping the veterans who come in there for medical assistance. What a lady. And what a team the two of them comprised. What greatness in courage and in service!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Remembering....

A friend I knew in college, a handsome young actor, with whom I I acted in several plays is in remembrance today.

I was very shy when I was in school and George always put me at ease, would talk to me, read poetry, tell me stories. I liked him and his wife a lot. Later, they divorced, and, in 1966, he became 1-A for the draft.

He did not want to go, swore the Army would never get him; the morning he was to report, he joined the Marine Corps. I was shocked, sure that he would never be a soldier type. George became a Lt in Bravo Company and was sent to Vietnam in 1967.

Bravo Company was at the battle of An Loc on April 30, 1968, George was in command. I never knew the details until the I found out on the internet (the battle is on there): his company was crossing the river towards An Loc, when the enemy opened fire. He was one of the first of many who were KIA that day, including all officers but one.

What I learned later was that he was a very capable leader, his men loved him, and he died a hero. He was 26 years old.

Never underestimate an actor.

His name is on the Wall in Washington: Panel 53E, Line 19, George Clyde Norris.

Semper Fi, George.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy