Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Memorial Day- Who will you remember?

Hondo

One Too Many
Andykev said:
Both my grandfathers..one in the Navy in WWI and WWII, and my other grandfather who was wounded in the Ardens in 1918. His Purple Heart is a big framed poster like certificate. Guess that predated the medals.

And my Dad. He served in the Navy, in the far reaches of Alaska, Kodiak Island, at an air base.

Cool Andyk, Your Dad probably served at Dutch Habor, one of those "far reaches of Alaska" thats where the Japanese tried to attack in WWII. I was born in Anchorage, AK, my Dad was stationed at Elmendorf AFB near by.

Yup to all members of Families everywhere, My Great Grandfather served in WWI as Second Lt. and later Army Chaplain, my own dad a vet from WWII, Navy. My brothers Navy & Air Force but I tend to remember (or try) everyone, the sacrifice, June 6th is near, which makes Memorial Day all the more Important to recall, remember, I just finished watching 60 minutes this evening, where they had story on wounded soldiers from Iraq, (male & female) every touching, heart felt, some lucky souls there, tends to make my troubles or worse days seem so small, ya know? And then there are those who didn’t make it back, in all wars, I never served myself, all I can do is give thanks, honor a veteran, all of them. I leave early in the morning before crowds to local War Memorial, and say my thanks/pray I guess, we all stand witness and I'll Cheer All of you :cheers1:

God Bless this Great country, the U.S.A.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I drove by the Golden Gate National Cemetary in San Bruno, CA today. My great-uncle John Rodrigues is buried there, he died in the last days of WWII in the Phillippines. All the graves have American Flags on them. It is always sombering to drive by there on Memorial Day and seeing the rows upon rows of white headstones and the American Flags waving in the wind.:eusa_clap

We should also not forget all the MIA's at Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War. That seems to be a forgotten war and 50,000 American's lost their lives there. My father has a cousin who was one of those missing from Chosin.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Three Special Marines

Cpl Todd Godwin
Cpl Nicholas Ziolkowski
Cpl Kirk Bosselmann

Three special Marines who served with Scout Sniper Platoon, First Battalion, Eighth Marines. All killed in Fallujah, Iraq.
My husband had the good fortune of being their platoon commander. It was an honor for him to lead such fine men.
We remember them every day...

Picture009.jpg

Jessica

Caledonia

Practically Family
Every soul affected by war

I will remember my Great Uncle whom I never knew, but who gave his life. I will remember every soldier, every civilian, every animal, that gave his or her life or suffered, willingingly or unwillingly, wittingly or unwittingly, in every conflict that we have known. I will remember the power and the devastation of war, and I will be grateful, and humble in the face of those I have never and will never meet. I will hope for and work for a time when we do not inflict suffering on each other, for good or bad, and when we can stand together in peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy