Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men wearing make-up

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Didn't Valentino wear makeup?
I remember reading somewhere that his "effeminate" airs (including wearing pressed powder in public) were seen as a HUGE threat to young men. Let's see if I can find my book....

"These contradictions had boiled over in July 1926, when the Chicago Tribune delivered a vicious personal attack, headlined "Pink Powder Puffs." It began with a horrified description of finding "a powder vending machine! In a men's washroom!": "We personally saw two 'men'....step up, insert coin, hold kerchief beneath the spout, pull the lever, then take the pretty pink stuff and pat it on their cheeks in front of a mirror." As "the prototype of the American male," Valentino was held responsible for "this degeneration into effeminacy." This insult continued to haunt the actor on his deathbed."
-from Teenage: The Prehistory of Youth Culture 1875-1945 by Jon Savage

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Might someone start a thread on male eyebrow care? I do not know where to start. (I do possess tweezers, so that's something of a pre-start.)

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Francis Drake is just a little bit TOO vintage for my tastes.

captain-revenge.jpg

Do you suppose back then they had a "copotain lounge" anywhere? Where men could meet and discuss the glory days of the English Reformation and the Black Death?

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
My wife regularly waxes my brows, and for nights out I use concealer to help under the eyes a bit. :) When I was young, I used to use mascara to pretty up my mustache a bit. I think it's all perfectly normal. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Two threads on the same topic are now one.

Longtime members will remember and be bored by my story of using a little of my mother's eyebrow pencil to darken my skimpy mustache when I was an early twentysomething. On a date, I kissed my girlfriend and was horrified to see her lips all darkened with the stuff.

It's good to have neat eyebrows, and very good to have help with them. Nose hair is disgusting. Same for ears.

Maybe we do need a how-to thread? But I hope more ladies will chime in with their thoughts, because most guys will probably stay well clear of any kind of HINT of fussing unless they feel that women would appreciate more careful grooming. Men tend to do what their women like, yes?

(Unless you're a wiseguy lawyer. lol lol)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Razors, yes; tweezers, yes; everything else, no

My opinion:

The look of neat, manicured hair is good. This includes eyebrows, hair on the head and hair on the back of the neck. It looks masculine, and it looks like the man takes pride in his appearance.

I've always tweezed my dad's ears and I trim any long eyebrow hairs; I let him take care of his own nose hair.

Make-up is another thing altogether. There's this man that I had the mother of all crushes on; I'd literally break into a sweat around him. Then I saw a photo of him in 20s style eyeliner. O.M.G. what a turnoff. Unless a man is going to be on a stage or in front of a camera, make-up gets a no from me.

And it's never happened to me, but I don't think I'd like it if a man asked to borrow my under-eye cream. Or my earrings. I'm the girl around here.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ lol I've had guys both ask for my moisturizer, and steal my earrings. I've also seen girls (*cough*:eek: not me yet, but I can see it happening) coax their bfs into letting them put eyeliner on them. I also know guys who like their girls to do it.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Caity Lynn said:
^ lol I've had guys both ask for my moisturizer, and steal my earrings. I've also seen girls (*cough*:eek: not me yet, but I can see it happening) coax their bfs into letting them put eyeliner on them. I also know guys who like their girls to do it.

In the 1980s when I was a bleach-blond punk rocker I allowed my girlfriend, a licensed cosmetologist, to put black eyeliner on me when we went to gigs. The problem was, in L.A., there was a punk gang (the 1980s L.A. punk scene was hugely infested with gangs / organized into gangs, however you want to look at it) called LADS (Los Angeles Death Squad) who characteristically used eyeliner. I went to a show with the eyeliner on, and present was a contingent of the Suicidals gang, an offshoot of (I think) Venice 13. The "Suicidal Boys" were followers of Mike Muir's hardcore band Suicidal Tendencies. They thought I was from LADS. I still have a scar on my chin from that encounter.

But nowadays in the vintage world, I guess that's pretty different for a man to wear eyeliner. To each his own, I suppose .... any thoughts on masculine makeup from our resident professional Hollywood makeup artist (and founder of the Fedora Lounge) MK?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I second this
Caity Lynn said:
personally (warning: teenager rant/opinion) personally, guys in eyeliner are HOTTT.
and this
Barbigirl said:
PLEASE WORRY about grooming your eyebrows, nose hair and ear beards!
If you are pushing 40 or over -- Don't think you don't have them, you do. It is just not attractive.
Of course, the guys I go for don't exactly have facial hair problems *tihi!* ;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I know too few men who would be interested in using makeup, which is a shame, because it's beautiful. I don't mind a bit of nail polish either. But of course, this is not very "vintage". I do think, however, that certain men's 20's looks are very compatible with some eye liner. All silent film stars, men and women, wore makeup in the films and certainly it added to Buster Keaton's charm - and who can resist him? Just perfect.

buster-keaton.jpg

BusterKeaton.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Laura Chase said:
I don't mind a bit of nail polish either.
I have my nails buffed when I get a mani/pedicure. Not quite as shiny as polish and it doesn't chip or peel off.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Geesie, naturally, but I'm certain that the look would work off-stage too, with regular makeup that is less heavy, if that is your concern. :)

Tomasso, kudos to you for getting your hands and feet done! Nice hands are awesome.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
cherry lips said:
I have a faiblesse for 18th century blue-blooded male make-up and attire: powder, rouge, mouche, etc. Drool!
interview_with_the_vampire_54331932f32a9f9a77b77a9f538a24b2.jpg

Tom Cruise as the 18th century vampire Lestat

Second that drool! :eusa_clap

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
At the risk of seeming a little on the dark side....
GRAVEROPPER.jpg

Graverobber from Repo the Genetic Opera
faint.gif

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Geesie said:
Stage makeup when worn on stage is different from makeup worn off stage.

Hear, hear!

Buster Keaton et al did NOT wear pancake makeup off screen - the makeup was designed to enhance their appearance on film (Valentino possible exception there).

Call me old fashioned (please) but MEN do NOT wear "makeup".

They do, however, moisturize and use appropriate shaving lotions, balms and colognes.

That's okay.

I hope.....

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Mr. Cairo, Glad somebody, ESPECIALLY a male on the FL said this. Basic skin care (cleansing, moisturizing, shaving and caring for facial hair on a regular basis)etc. is all good things for men to do, along with taking care of oneself physically (eating right, keep oneself in healthy shape via exercise etc, hair care etc.) is all fine and frankly expected.

Makeup for men is okay if he is on film or on stage, but jeez- that's it!
MisterCairo said:
Hear, hear!

Call me old fashioned (please) but MEN do NOT wear "makeup".

They do, however, moisturize and use appropriate shaving lotions, balms and colognes.

That's okay.

I hope.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo