Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men... Who do you fashion yourself after?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
OK Mr. RooT, I don't want to be the source of your nightmares-
He/She/It has been removed from here and hopefully from your mind.

You've got a little Spade in you?
Are you like a large, walking version of a Swiss Army knife?

But back to the thread: maybe... if I really had to choose from the three,
I'd probably be somewhere between Rick and Sam at their most sarcastic,
sceptical and pessimistic- on a mission to find the long, lost style.

There are two things in this World; Trouble and Desire...
B

T

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Not this gal ... Ilsa wanted Rick to decide for the both of them and he made the moral decisions for them and the situation they were in. "Here's looking at you, kid," he said, and off she went into the sky with her spouse. And you just know he is going off to go into the Resistence with his buddy (Claude Raines). And the vile Nazis will never be the same.

I like a man (or woman) who, when he has to make hard choices, makes the moral one, the one that will benefit the world even if it is hurtful for him and those he loves.

That is why I chose him over those detectives and even Indy Jones, whose kid sister I also would not mind being (especially with Sean Connery as my father).

But my first choice would be Rick -- I would be honored to be his baby sis. Someone else can be Ilsa.

karol

PS Note that I would not mind being as beautiful as Ingrid Bergman.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I would like that!! The movie has a number of heroic people in it, including Ilsa -- she did make a choice in Paris to leave Rick and go to support her husband, the man she thought was dead. She felt if Rick knew the truth he would have stayed to help her, thus endangering himself. But, once he was back in her life and she spent a night with him, she got all muddled.

Victor Lazlo was the most visibly heroic character from start to finish; even when he realized his wife had another love, he was willing to let them get away to America. A Noble man, indeed.

And one of the most morally corrupt characters in the movie turns on a dime to protect his friend when Rick shoots the nazi, and, in the end, walks off into the fog with his buddy.

I think we more modern women like women characters who make choices for themselves, but, at the time that movie came out, women were portrayed as people who many times were weak-willed and had to have men make choices for or rescue them. There were exceptions (like characters Kate Hepburn played), but the Hollywood Rules during the Hayes Code era were pretty severe on women characters, and what they could and couldn't be.

Now, pre-code women were quite intriguing....

karol

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
unclear

I'm sorry, Karol, when you said you would like "that" in reply to James. Did you mean beat men with sticks?

Facetiously yours,
The Wolf

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, Wolf, you got me there! I would love to look like Ilsa (Ingrid) did in Casablana. I would love to look like Ingrid's daughter, the lovely Isabella. I suppose, if I did look like her but had the "cool" of Rick Blaine, I might have to do that (beat men off with sticks).

You know, we always fantacize having drop-dead good looks, but I have had at least two women friends who were absolute knock-outs and did not like having to deal with all the guys who were always after them. One woman, who just wanted to go to a bar sometimes and relax, actually went to women's bars to do so. Not that women don't hit on good looking women, they do -- but not in such profusion and they are not as aggressive as most men.

Now here is an interesting character for a woman: what if Rick and Ilsa had produced a baby, either a boy or girl? Hey, I could be Rick and Ilsa's daughter being raised by Isla and Victor Lazlo. Wow!

I also thought that first gal in the Indy film, the one who could drink men under the table (what was her name?), was cool. I was almost sorry she was not in the other Indy films. However, Sean Connery was in the third film, so I was content.

So, now, what if Indy had a kid ister? What would she be like? Who would play it in the movies?

Oh, here I go again....

karol

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
From Indy to Unforgiven

Having spent most of my life on one "Damn fool crusade" after another, I actually find myself feeling the milage. I also have responsibilities now...

But now I find that instead of risking my neck for fun, scratch or a girl... Now it's for my family and what's right. I talk with my friends about the (Not so long ago) old times and find myself saying "Yeah, but I'm not like that anymore.." Like Eastwood in unforgiven.

Fortunately I'm on the right side of the tin...

Brody

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I think I'm a mix of Howard Hughes, Indiana Jones, and Sam Spade. I tend to wear my suits like Spade, hats like Jones but with a jaunty Bogey angle. But since I'm 15, and do alot of walking and such, I tend to wear my white converse's or keds, a Howard Hughes look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo