Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's File Magazine

jon z

One of the Regulars
I've just stumbled across this on one of my surfing sessions. Has anyone else here seen it? I guess some of the Londoners here at least will have. To quote their website, "A Modern(ist) Magazine Tracing the Roots of Style." Amongst other clothing there's plenty of 50s motorcycle leathers here in this issue as well as the bikes. Some gorgeous US 50s cars, a feature on the making of Lobb boots & more. Now I'm wondering what treasures iss 1 featured.

I haven't posted a link as it also features some beautiful women in a state of undress, so be warned. Me, I can live with that I think. And no, I'm not in any way associated with this publication. It just seems to be better & different to the usual IMO & I thought it may interest some of you guys.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Great spot Jon Z!

It kinda retreads an old format - but nothing wrong with that. All the better! I hope it lasts.

What's not to like? Ton up bikes, hot rods, Bonneville Speed Week, flight jackets, hand made shoes, vintage suits, Burlesque and cricket!!!! And artistically naked chicks!

I imagine this is aimed at a pink pound audience [actually thinking about it, not necessarily the planned market, but where it ultimately might derive most sales] but it could have been put together by FL - in fact, it probably was inspired by the Lounge!!!! Some blatant idea snatching!!!! (That's a bit harsh - more inspired by...)See "message to contributors" and "Editor's Letter".

More power to 'em!

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Issue one also had a feature on Lobb boots, part 2 was in the second issue. You'll want to own both as it's a fantastic magazine.
I am bias and slightly connected to the publication so I'll leave it to someone else to post a link.

jon z

One of the Regulars
I've just ordered the current issue 2 & now I'm trying to track down a copy of issue 1.
deluxestyling: Any chance you could help with that?

Speedbird: Enlighten me please. What's a pink pound audience?

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Pink Pound = A marketing term for the Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual & Transexual market ... not derogatory or detrimental in any way - just a term of classification used in marketing, like the occupational classification system. You are probably familiar with the standard system of A, B, C1, C2 etc though the ONS and sociologists are developing a more refined version for future use.

It's big business - the LGBT market tends to have more disposable income and is more willing to spend it on lifestyle products.

Anyway, it looks like a great magazine. I will be buying it.

Papa M

A-List Customer
It is indeed a beautifully prepared magazine.

I loved Issue 1, and was amazed to find issue 2 even better.

Unfortunately the magazine is difficult to locate - even here in the Uk from where it is published.

I sure hope they get some distribution sorted out. It is a labour of love and is, I believe, funded by some dedicated enthusiasts rather than by corporate advertising.

I have proposed and had accepted a feature of my own on Selvage Denim. This is due for submission as soon as I get some photographic content sorted.

The phrase "Pink Pound" refers to the Gay Community. Whilst there are some fairly camp male models on show I would suggest that the publication is not specifically targetting any particular audience other than those interested in vintage clothing and Surf/Hot Rod/Bikes etc.

Every fashion magazine I see tends to depict slightly camp male models.

The inclusion of some tastefully photographed naked women perhaps confirms my view that this magazine could be deemed "bi-sexual":eek: .

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Good luck with your submission Papa M!

I think my post above might read wrong - even though I said I think it is not planned as a LGBT mag, it just might sell particularly well in that market.

It's a great well put together beautiful magazine - as such it should sell well in all markets interested in the stuff we like. Good luck to it! I hope it does. The magazine market is notoriously fickle and harsh.

BTW - short of your article, is there a tutorial on 'selvedge' on here anywhere?

jon z

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the clarification gents.

Speedbird: I am in no way familiar with the standard system of A, B, C1, C2 etc though the ONS. There's probably no reason why I should be as it appears from your post something one would know in relation to a particular type of employment.

When looking at the mag online at no point did I get the impression or have any kind of thought cross my mind that it has gay overtones. I still don't in retrospect.

I don't know whether there's a selvedge tutorial on here but you may find this link interesting:

http://www.thevine.com.au/fashion/reviews/ritchie's-selvedge-denim-guide.aspx

Papa M: Congrats on having an upcoming feature in the mag & look forward to reading it, particularly as I am a fan of selvedge.

I didn't find the current issue hard to buy online, just expensive compared to the printed cover price. There are three online links on the mags website, you can order online also from one of their listed high street outlets (Oi Polloi) & I've also found it on eBay. Now issue 1 is a another matter but it's early days. I fully expect to acquire a copy, somebody???

Papa M

A-List Customer
jon z said:
I didn't find the current issue hard to buy online, just expensive compared to the printed cover price. There are three online links on the mags website, you can order online also from one of their listed high street outlets (Oi Polloi) & I've also found it on eBay.

Probably my old fashioned purchasing techniques made it difficult for me. I tried to find it in a shop in London. Eventually I had to place a subscription on-line.

I know it's old fashioned - but I still like to purchase direct from a human vendor rather than via internet wherever possible.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
No offence meant, Jon.

No reason why anyone should be familiar with sociological jargon! I thought the example might help my explanation of 'pink pound' but I tend to over-complicate things unnecessarily. Sorry for that.

The magazine is camper than a VW 'bus though! lol

Nothing at all wrong with that!

jon z

One of the Regulars
I'd much prefer to buy it locally in person from a newsagent, if for nothing else it would save me money buying at the cover price. I know I'd very likely waste my time looking though.

No offence taken Speedbird nor did I think any was intended. I had to laugh at your description, "The magazine is camper than VW 'bus though!" I was going to say it tickled me pink but then thought better of it lol

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Jon Z if you can't track down issue one on line or where you bought issue two you could try contacting the magazine directly. I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I have issue 1 and think they cover some great topics, but the text is very sparse and when it is present, the context is terribly weak. Also, the front cover font is absolute rubbish. Reminds me of a childs font, but I personally hate serif fonts.

To me its a bound series of lovely ideals but no real meat to it, which is a shame.

For example, they did an 'article' about the japanese swing band The Travellers, whom I saw live in November at a rare UK show (which was incredible), but the spread had some amazing photos with maybe one or two paragraphs of text, and none of it really had much to do with the band. What was more sad was the line 'although we couldn't get an interview with them, you can see them at Rhythm Riot and if you like them, ask the promoters to invite them back.'

Rhythm Riot was Nov. 2009, issue 2 came out March 2010....

Weak sauce.

Papa M

A-List Customer
repeatclicks said:
I have issue 1 and think they cover some great topics, but the text is very sparse.....

It certainly is a Photograph dominant publication. However the photographs are worth the cost of the magazine alone.

It certainly represents better value for money than all the expensive Japanese magazines I keep buying, the text of which I am unable to follow.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I found a copy of issue 2 in Magma Books in Manchester. Magma have a branch in London, and run a pretty good mail order service, but unfortunately there seems to be something up with their website at the moment.

It is a nice magazine, with plenty of luscious photos. The photo spread on Royal Enfield bikes in issue 2 is particularly impressive. It is a little text light however. Having said that, it's nice to have a mag that deals with vintage style in this way. It's like a less tongue in cheek, more informed version of "The Chap". ;)

jon z

One of the Regulars
deluxestyling said:
Jon Z if you can't track down issue one on line or where you bought issue two you could try contacting the magazine directly. I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Thanks for that. It hadn't occurred to me. I'll give them a try.

Edit: I've just sent the Editor a begging letter of the electronic variety. I'll let you know the outcome.

jon z

One of the Regulars
No reply from Men's File

Well so far the Editor at the mag has failed to respond to my email enquiring about obtaining iss 1. It's not as if I wanted a freebie. I made it quite clear I wanted to pay. The least he could have done is paid me the courtesy of letting me know there were none to be had. Perhaps he will yet. In the meantime I've placed my order for the 1st iss here: http://southsiders-mc.blogspot.com/

Papa M

A-List Customer
You may have to be a little patient if you are waiting for a personal response from the editor.
In order to help fund Men's File he does a dayjob which frequently sends him away from the Men's File office. Don't imagine that it is an office with staff who are constantly picking up messages. It is a labour of love.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80