Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

men's hair nets

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
men in the 30s would often wear a hair net or 'stocking cap' to keep their greased hair neat while they slept. before you start giggling i should point you to george clooney in 'oh brother where are thou?' and tom waits in 'down by law' who both look very manly in their hair nets. i was wondering if anyone here has tried a one and if they are still available anywhere ?

Bargepole

New in Town
herringbonekid said:
men in the 30s would often wear a hair net [...] while they slept

My Uncle Neville wore one on his first night in the Army, to keep his Marcelle Wave in place.

My Uncle Neville did not wear one on his second, or any subsequent, night in the Army, however...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
If you put enough 'grease' on it shouldn't be too difficult to get it back into shape the next morning. Maybe the hair net is handy if you have to get ready in a hurry...just don't wear it outside of your bedroom unless you plan on also wearing a nice starched pendelton shirt over a white undershirt. Overshirt top buttoned only....and as for keeping the grease off the pillow,that's what pillow cases are for. ;)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah they wore "night caps" back then too to stay warm.
Goodnight2.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo