Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens Warehouse

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Patrick Murtha said:
While we're on the subject of discounters, does anyone have experience with Syms, Where An Educated Consumer Is Our Best Customer?
Syms is fine if you're looking to buy a $400-$500 fused suit for $150-$250. Some of the better brands you may find there are Austin Reed, Jones New York, and Nautica. I find it far superior to Mens Wearhouse and the staff is far less pushy. If you are looking for a high quality suit at a bargain price, STP is the way to go.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
What tailoring was done to the above suit?
I would think simply taking in the jacket sleeves and pant legs would make a world of difference.
Why was this not done?
I, too, am completely befuddled by the lack of tailoring on a suit that has been altered 3 times.

Ranger01 said:

My current suit, the MW special. $600, tailored 3 times (most recent 2 months ago), 2 years old.

This pic is 2 days after the most recent tailoring.
G-Man.jpg

I'm genuinely shocked at two things in this statement.

1) Tailored 3 times? :confused: The simple fact that you've had to have it tailored three times before a still less than satisfactory fit is astounding. I understand that you're a tough fit, but seriously, the fit problems on that are so painfully obvious, Ray Charles had to have been the tailor.

2) $600? Really? If thats a Men's Wearhouse price, I am now utterly flabbergasted as to why anyone would elect to shop MW over somewhere else. shakeshead

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd try a different MW store if you're set on that particular suit. I'd be writing or calling the corporate offices asking why you, a returning customer, gets such shoddy service at that location.

And I agree with the others - the suit in the picture looks like you're perhaps wearing it right off the rack, before any alteration. I wouldn't have left the store with it after the first alteration if it looked like that. And I wouldn't pay another cent on subsequent alterations until they got it right. I believe that's one of MW's things - free lifetime alterations.

I'd go back again and have them fix it. If they give you any flack, I think I'd get a folding chair, a piece of poster board and a 2 x 3 and camp out at the store's front door with a big sign saying "Tailored by Men's Warehouse three times and it still looks like hell" or something along those lines. Call the press - it's the type of story they love to cover.

DerMann

Practically Family
If you've spent $600 on a two-piece off the peg suit and had it altered multiple times, maybe you should try Indy Magnoli.

Personally, I haven't as I don't have $500 to spend on a suit, but boy, if I did, the Fairbanks suit would be mine in half a second.

http://magnolic.ipower.com/

All of his suits are vintage inspired and I have heard nothing but good things from him. All of the jackets have working cuffs, and proper arm holes; anmd the trousers are high waisted with suspender buttons, none of which you will not find on any of the suits at men's wearhouse.

Just my tuppence.

Although if you prefer actual stores, Suit Mart (don't know if they're available in your area) has really good deals on a wide variety of suits. Most of the time you can get two two-piece suits for as litte as $120 (albeit polyester suits). Selection is magnificent, even in "real men" sizes (yours truly included). They even have a few fedoras and various cuff links. Their website is rather lacking and does not have even a percentage of their total inventory, so you would have to go drudging through the aisles to find what you want.

Dr Doran

Ranger 01, are you putting us on? That photo is from AFTER tailoring? Did you REQUEST multiple breaks on the trousers and sleeves designed to hide not only your watch but your knuckles?

I feel like you are pulling our legs! (Although if we had trousers like that, you could pull and pull and you'd never see any naked leg ... or even any sock.)

Ranger01

New in Town
Ya the suit was $600 a couple years back, at the time it was a pretty nice suit, I was a bit bigger back then so it fit, but it could be that a suit like that can only be altered so many times before it just refuses to work[huh] .

My mistake with that, was not checking it before I left the store (I was fairly buisy that week.) The pants were too high when I got them back so I had to wear them lower than I'd like, but after 2 hours of walking they fell down (they were only held up by some kind of glue). And the jacket, well its never fit right, the sleeves have always been too long, and the chest and stomach are too tight (leading the bottom to flair out). Ive pretty much become tired of having the suit tailored, which is why im looking for a new one. Currently Im trying to find a decent tailor/ suit maker in Minnesota.

Ive tried 2 different locations, one wont fix the work another does for free for some reason.
Im done wearing the suit alltogiether. If I *have* to wear the suit somewhere, I just throw on a pair of Dickies pants instead of the suit pants. They match, they actually fit me, and they hold up to wear.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Ranger01 said:
Ya the suit was $600 a couple years back, at the time it was a pretty nice suit, I was a bit bigger back then so it fit, but it could be that a suit like that can only be altered so many times before it just refuses to work[huh] .
You lost weight and now the pants are too long by 3+ inches? So now you wear Dickies with a suit jacket? I think the troll question has been answered, Doran.

Dr Doran

KObalto said:
You lost weight and now the pants are too long by 3+ inches? So now you wear Dickies with a suit jacket? I think the troll question has been answered, Doran.

I feel that Ranger 01 is yanking our chain. I'm unsubscribing from this silly thread.

Feraud?

Ranger01

New in Town
Im not yanking yalls chain. The pants always had extra material, just how it was when I bought it, I decided just to have em taken up. I needed to have them taken up again when I lost weight and was able to wear them lower. The cut the stitch took em up too far, then glued em. Well the glue failed in the middle of the day and they fell down.

And yes I wear dickies pants with my suit's jacket. I dont feel like getting the pants fixed. I only wear a full suit maby once a month, and they match well enough, Ill take a picture of it if yall need validation.

Mike in Seattle

If you lose weight, your arms & legs don't normally get shorter, and those pants and sleeves are way, way, way too long... Losing weight doesn't not make your waist drop either, so perhaps that's part of the problem with the pants - you're wearing them below your waist. But that doesn't explain why the sleeves are too long.

Well, anyway, I think I'd send that photo of the outfit to Men's Warehouse's investor relations as well as the CEO & every other board of directors member as an example of a suit their tailors have altered three times. I'd also suggest perhaps you'll come to the next shareholders' meeting so their investors can see firsthand the caliber and quality of merchandise the company they've invested in deals in, and relate the superlative customer service you've received from their staff, and maybe the board would like to comment, and then also explain why their per-share price has plummeted from around $70 to $16 in the past twelve months...

Ranger01

New in Town
Well, the suit sleeves have always been long, I dont know why.

But the reason I had to have the pants taken up was b/c I used to wear them higher and now that Ive lost weight Im able to wear them lower. (2 inches below the navel vs. right on it)

Feraud

Bartender
I have no idea what your tailor has been doing to this suit the three times you visited!

The jacket sleeves need to be taken up. Case closed.

As for the pants, do you need to wear your pants at different heights based on your weight? I can say from experience that my inseam is the same whether I am carrying "winter weight" or not.
Your tailor should not be gluing your inseam to fix it! A needle and thread will do the job.

The problem is not your weight or the suit but the tailor.

Ranger01

New in Town
Ya, I wear my pants at a different height now that Ive lost weight (not just winter weight, I losta whole 37lbs). Its mainly because now I dont need to wear my pants higher to keep them up and/ or from being pulled down by my umm.. flab...

But ya, even tho its a nice suit, Im tired of wearing a 2 piece. I want a 3 piece, feels more professional.

THe last time I went to the Men's Warehiouse in November 2007 they were pretty pushy, more pushy than i would normally stand for. The thing was I was out of time so I sucked it up and bought the wing collar tux shirt but only since I was out of time. Had I more time I would have blown them off totally.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I've bought suits at MW, S&K & Joseph A. Banks. I wear, a the least, slacks and a sport coat virtually every day, and a suit 2-3 times per month. My budget, however, requires me to get good value in my clothing purchases.

I don't really recall how the service was at S&K or MW, as it's been several years since I made those purchases. What I do recall is that the suits at S&K and MW were of comparable price & quality (to each other). That is to say, they were of decent quality for the price, but not great. The fact that I don't recall the service tells me something, too: The service just wasn't memorable.

The suits that I got from Jos. A. Banks are clearly of a higher quality than my S&K/MW suits. I have purchased 4 of their "Trio" sets in the last 5 or 6 years, and they've held up very well. The Trio is a suit that also comes with a color-coordinated pair of pants to give you some variety. While my JAB suits are better suits, they're also more expensive, and worth the cost. The service at JAB has, in my experience, far outclassed the other two stores. The salespeople were helpful without being pushy. When I had a problem with a purchase, they fixed it. Plain and simple. As I said, I've bought 4 Trios. In 2 cases, the pants weren't hemmed quite right. I took the pants back to the store and they immediately re-measured me and sent the pants off.

I would also note that, if you've got a little time to shop, there's no reason to pay full, rack price at JAB. Get on their email list. I get 1-2 sale emails per week from them. Something is always on sale, and if you can stand to wait, the suit that you need will be on sale. I just looked at their site and it looks like the Trios are going for $595 these days. They seem to go on sale for 40-50% off every couple of months.

I think part of the decision depends on why you're buying the suit. If you're buying it for a one-time occasion and because you think you should have a suit in your wardrobe, but don't have plans to wear it regularly, MW or S&K may be fine. Or if you are going to wear it to work in an environment that's going to put a lot of wear and tear on it, MW or S&K may be fine. An environment where you'll sweat a lot, or where there may be lots of protrusions to catch the fabric, etc. comes to mind. Teaching, as Tango Yankee mentioned, is a good example. On the other hand, if you're buying the suit with the expectation of wearing it regularly, but don't anticipate heavy wear, I'd move up a notch if you can swing the budget.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
I believe that the quality of Jos A Banks' suits now is not what it was a couple of years ago as they have switched manufacturing plants and I have heard quite a few recent complaints.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
KObalto said:
I believe that the quality of Jos A Banks' suits now is not what it was a couple of years ago as they have switched manufacturing plants and I have heard quite a few recent complaints.
I hadn't heard that & haven't bought a suit in a couple of years, but I'll sure keep an eye on that. Thanks for the tip, KObalto.

funneman

Practically Family
Jos. A. Banks

I just went to their website and they have a sweet looking blue seersucker double breasted suit for $199.00. Mmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24