Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Middleweight Fight: US Wings vs. Gibson & Barnes (and the winner is...)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This is what you have been waiting for...a direct competition between these two retail suppliers.

First, understand that this is not a real "apples to apples" comparison as we have two different coats, the USW Signature Series USCG G-1 in goatskin, and the G&B Civil A-2 in cowhide.

The USW G-1, in size 44R, is actually smaller than the G&B A-2 42R. But the sleeve on the USW jacket is about one inch longer. No big deal.

The overall construction of each jacket is equal in quality and attention to detail. All of the stitching is spot on. Same goes for all of the seams.

Zippers - The USW is heavier, not sure of the brand. The G&B is YKK.

The quality of the hides used appears to be equal. Remember, the USW G-1 is goatskin, the G&B is cowhide.

The only area where G&B is superior is the knitted cuffs and waistband. The material used by G&B is of a better quality than the USW. It has a more "expensive" feel, almost silky as apposed to the cuffs on the G-1. It is richer in texture as it is a nylon material. Seems to hold it basic shape a bit better.

Another feature of the G&B A-2 is the patch side pockets with hand warmer feature are more usable as they are a bit more forward in the location on the jacket, making entry and egress very easy. The USW G-1, on the other hand, has the pockets located further aft from the front making their use more challenging.

To sum up, the overall quality is the same in construction and materials. The USW G-1 is a smaller fit (44R). The G&B A-2 (42R) fits just fine, but is just a tad roomier through the shoulder and waist. A size 42R in the G-1 would have been a bit small. And I wear a 42R coat in uniforms and sports coats.

Do not hesitate to buy a Signature Series jacket from US Wings. They are very good. And, I am a huge fan of G&B also.

Guess the judges score this a draw!

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Isn't it a competition between Schott and G&B since Schott make Wings jackets? I also understand Wings owns Cooper (which no longer exists formally) and purchased some of that company's manufacturing plant. I have seen 2 Wings jackets and they were clearly inferior to 4 G&B jackets I have owned. Poor lining material, thinner hide and errant stitching. Perhaps they have attended to these issues. Glad to hear your experience of Wings is positive. I am a big fan of off the rack leather that is affordable and can be worn without self consciousness.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Isn't it a competition between Schott and G&B since Schott make Wings jackets? I also understand Wings owns Cooper (which no longer exists formally) and purchased some of that company's manufacturing plant. I have seen 2 Wings jackets and they were clearly inferior to 4 G&B jackets I have owned. Poor lining material, thinner hide and errant stitching. Perhaps they have attended to these issues. Glad to hear your experience of Wings is positive. I am a big fan of off the rack leather that is affordable and can be worn without self consciousness.

All of the issues you mention, lining, errant stitching, hide thickness, simply do not exist in my samples. And yes, it is Schott vs. G&B. As stated, the only area where G&B is superior is the knit cuffs/waistband as the material (?) is nicer.

The customer service from both of the above is pretty much equal as well, with a slight edge given to Wings as they actually answer email inquiries, where G&B never answered one of my questions.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand as long as you pay attention to sizing, and order the Schott made jacket (USA) from Wings.

G&B did tell me each of their jackets is cut from a single hide.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
Note that the U.S. Wings as mentioned is the Signature series which is a much more expensive line of jackets ..in the $300 + range as opposed to other lines of theirs ...i.e. $195 . I have both and the Signature ..mine is horsehide..is nicer than the less expensive...

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Note that the U.S. Wings as mentioned is the Signature series which is a much more expensive line of jackets ..in the $300 + range as opposed to other lines of theirs ...i.e. $195 . I have both and the Signature ..mine is horsehide..is nicer than the less expensive...

Yes, and the Signature Series is made by Schott. My past experience with Schott goes back to the late 70's. Their products then were very good. This is the reason I chose the G-1 from US Wings.

The price was $445. But they are having a sale right now with 10% off all A-2's and G-1's.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
P1010018.jpg
How about a photo comparison,too...??
HD

Note the quality of both jackets is the exact same. Leather, stitching, seams, detail, zipper, etc.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Hmm, can't really tell that the from the photos, actually the Schott one looks better. ;) Additionally, I'm not keen on the very obvious side entry pockets on the G&B.

Correct, that is why I did mention that the quality for both jackets is equal (except the knits, with G&B being better). The Schott jacket has a deeper finish with a bit more luster, but it is goatskin. A goat G&B would look like this as well.
Yes, the side entry pockets are plainly visible, but this allows for easy ingress/egress. The USW G-1, with the side entry feature pretty much non-visible, makes the feature useless for your hands.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Look for a lot of new things this year from US WINGS. A brand new web site will launch next week.

Let me re-emphasize the quality of my recent purchase, the Signature Series G-1. US Wings has earned my respect as a garment retailer.

Although you really cannot discern this from the photos here, the Wings jacket actually looks better than the G&B...and this is what my wife told me!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Let me re-emphasize the quality of my recent purchase, the Signature Series G-1. US Wings has earned my respect as a garment retailer.

Although you really cannot discern this from the photos here, the Wings jacket actually looks better than the G&B...and this is what my wife told me!

Actually I said that on the previous page. But I think for me part of it is that the G1 pattern is nicer than an A2.

Last edited:

pak

One of the Regulars
I've had two Signature A2 jackets in HH and goat. The construction, materials, fit and overall quality was just fine with me. The HH however was too heavy for my liking so I gave it to a friend. I still have the goat. As to the pattern, I am, at least in this price range, not too consumed with historical accuracy and a representative sample is very satisfactory. The Cooper style pocket flaps are not my favorite. For every day wear these are great with no worries if it gets scratched, stained or even stolen. Not so valuable or as hard to replace as say a GW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn