Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Biltmore sizing

gekisai29 said:
Are there any modern brands you would consider A list for milan braid? Glad to hear that you love the Biltmore 'cause i preety sure i will be ordering the pokpie soon Do yu know if Biltmore sizing runs true to head measurement? I am 22&3/8".

IN my experience, Biltmore is dead-on with the sizing (at least with felts), except for once... but that was a second-hand hat, and it may have shrunk before it got to me. My guess is that their straws will be accurate, too.
NB

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Miller Arlington

Hmmmm - - - Anyone seen any interesting posts lately? I'm back to say that I think I will try the Miller Arlington in 2 5/8 Brim. Havent had a Milan since my uncle gave me his old one back in the 1950's. I will try and post a picture, in public of course. Best wishes!!

GWD

One Too Many
I've done some searching and and I haven't found a thread dedicated to the Milan yet. I know the Panama Canal has some Milans listed but I enjoy those threads that are dedicated to a single type or style of hat.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, Please post your Milans!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GWD said:
I've done some searching and and I haven't found a thread dedicated to the Milan yet. I know the Panama Canal has some Milans listed but I enjoy those threads that are dedicated to a single type or style of hat.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, Please post your Milans!
Well.....where's your's? :D

GWD

One Too Many
Here you go!

The Dunlap Supreme,
web.jpg

web.jpg

Blue Gray Dobbs,
web.jpg

Brown Cavanagh,
web.jpg

Ivory Dobbs Coronado (Contemporary),
web.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
Roadrunner said:
I really like those first two! What defines a Milan style? Is it the ribbon treatment?

It's the weave of the straw material that the hat is made of.

If any of you knowledgeable historian types can give us a clearer definition it would be greatly appreciated!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
A lot of these are really sharp. There are some straws that look a lot like this available at Target (not to the same quality, I'm sure, but they're not bad, either). My brother wears one that I bought while I was in college. The brims are too short for me (or my face is too wide for the brim, take your pick), but if I could, I'd probably wear one.

-Dave

GWD

One Too Many
My Dunlap has a pretty wide brim (over 2"), which is the main reason I bought it. I'm anxious to see everyone's Milans here in one place. I've seen some beautiful ones posted lately.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Park Royal Milan

Here's an Park Royal marked "Genuine Milan Weave"

dab994f8.jpg

649bc7e1.jpg

I have a few of these that survived, but they are generally in smaller sizes so I haven't been sure what to do with them.

What do y'all think?

GWD

One Too Many
johnnyphi said:

I have a few of these that survived, but they are generally in smaller sizes so I haven't been sure what to do with them.

What do y'all think?

I have a Park Royal Milan too, one of my first hats, It's nice looking but stiff as a board. I'll take some pics of it tomorrow.

johnnyphi, that isn't a vintage hat is it?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
johnnyphi said:

dab994f8.jpg

649bc7e1.jpg

What do y'all think?
Love the color of that one Johnny.....would like to see the rest of your straws as well. Are they vintage and are they for sale?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Info on milans that I found and put in another thread:

Here's an ftc case discussing the history, labeling and adulteration of milans.
http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/311/311.F2d.358.6008_1.html

This is from an old millenery book.
http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/22-m/m-03.html
http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/28-mhd/mhd-03.html

According to all reputable sources on this site, Optimo, where I purchased my milan is the only place left in the western hemisphere where a new, genuine milan can be purchased. Milan is just a method of braiding wheat. Any new "milan" is going to be mostly paper and plastic. It is unclear when the adulteration began. This is a topic that deserves much more research.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037-1.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
This was made in Italy, sold by Johnny's Custom Hatters of Longview, Tx. I bought it new, last year, for $80.00.

P1040136.jpg

It's an extremely fine braiod, and lighter than a feather.

P1040130.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot