Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Militaria fair Belgium

mihai

A-List Customer
Hi,
I just returned from Ciney militaria fair in Belgium http://www.cineyexpo.be/agenda/evenement.php?id=288.

Few impressions:
- huge exhibition space, lost of sellers. Felt like a kid in a candy store.
- most were insignia and weapons: knives, swords, guns. There were even vintage barrel Colt, Remington asking prices 1000-2000 euros.
- most of items were old collectibles, few repros and some contemporary camo/guns
- old collectibles most from 20th century, few from 19th (helmets, armours). Most from Europe. However a surprising amount of American ww2 US army ones (Ike jackets, overcoats, uniforms). However prices on american ones were a bit high (green overcoat 150 euro, ike jacket around 200 euro).
- surprising lots of ww2 German militaria: caps, uniforms, insignia, flags, accessories. And lots of stands visitors (compared to other stands). Prices were kind of prohibitive: iron corss 30-200 euro, ww2 cap 300-1000 euro. There was one stand with high quality german repros of ww2 caps 150 euros, they looked almost close to the originals.
- there was lots of stuff, I tried to stay away from things I did not know.
- deals I passed (had not enough cash on me): Luftwaffe pants (close to mint) 250 euro, RAF jacket size 42 (GC, fairly clean, not rotten) 500 euro + 300 euros Raf pants. Luftwaffe sheepsking Kanal jacket - bit dirty but otherwise gc - 500 euro
- one guy had a M444(flaked, ok condition, size 40 i would say, had painted patch) asking 800 euros. He was insisting it was a B3 :). He had then a ww2 German pilot brown jacket in good conditon with insignia on it (iron cross, lw eagle, shoulder boards fixed by button + loop), ZIPP zipper if I recall - asking 2000 euros(honestly there are so many LW fakes that is hard to tell if genuine). He had aslo a beat up m442 jacket (leather scuffed, abrasions, collar almost completely worn-off) asking for it 600 euros - no thanks.

- repros there were there were the B15 and A-2 from Brabander. B-15 were a size bigger (sleeve length and width) - 150 euro - not bad for the price. The A-2's sleeves were looking kind of strange - really straight like cones. Leather looked better than average jacket leather but far from impressive. Shoulder boards were off. I find Cooper/Avirex average repros to be more accurate.
- I bought a pair of QMaster buckle back jeans - selfedge quite thick denim 13-14 oz I estimate. They are looking quite impressive. 50 euros
- there were even old military(US army ww2) vehicles on sale. There was a Jeep Willis completely restored(Netherlands company) with og engine for 43.000 euro. Amazing

Lots of interesting stuff but prices were high compared to online. The advantage to check and see them at one place. Among the sellers were also well established vintage shops. Also repro shops - Solider of fortune - that had a big stand, pretty good stuff. I really liked their ww2 army sweaters - looked high quality and close to originals.

Next fair at Ciney is on April if I recall, check the website. However there are also others in NW Europe.

Last edited:

Cocker

Practically Family
I used to go to every militaria fair in Ciney, but at that time, the entrance fee was 5 euros. Now it's 15... I'll pass on until they get back to more reasonable fees. that's too bad, because Ciney is really a great place!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Oh, that's interesting. I used to go to the War and Peace show while it was held somewhere near the junction of M25/M20. They have moved to Ashford near Dover in recent years. They also have some sort of trading and store areas but not in such scale. Over the years, I saw some pretty nice A-2s in some stores without price tags. But that was pretty much about it. Good to know that you guys have it in Belgium! Thanks.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Ciney was always good to me. Shows provide a place to study and see details that are impossible to discern via photos. And they provide a place for dialogue among collectors and dealers that is again not possible online. And you get to drink Ciney Bruin and Speciale, so how can that be bad????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner