Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military spec M65 Combat Jacket

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Curious thing, but on the way to work today a guy got on the train wearing a woodland version
of an M65. At first glance much the same as you can buy anywhere except that this particular model
had reinforced elbows and buttons on the cuffs instead of the usual velcro fittings.
The jacket also had the subdued US ARMY patch over the left hand breast pocket and a faded area where
the divisional insignia had once been,
Just wondering about this particular version as I having owned several ex-US Forces M65 jackets I have never
seen this particular version.
Can anyone throw some light on this matter?

Cheers.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Howdy karhu21,

This sounds exactly like my M65 coat down to the button cuffs and reinforced elbows. Mine was issued to me in 1998. So maybe it's the model year that has all of those features.

R/ David

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Mine was issued... to me, in 1973. My son wore it as part of a costume last Friday for Halloween and hasn't taken it off since. I guess it's lost to me now. I just bought him a winter liner... sigh.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
Mine was issued... to me, in 1973. My son wore it as part of a costume last Friday for Halloween and hasn't taken it off since. I guess it's lost to me now. I just bought him a winter liner... sigh.

Worf

Who'd he go as - Rambo or Travis Bickle? ;)

ranger4-7

New in Town
Zhz, I would tend to agree that it wasn't issue. I don't think the M51 was ever issued in woodland pattern. I also haven't personally seen an M65 with external elbow reinforcements. That elbo reinforcements almost sounds more like the old Italian camo jackets

italiancamou_zpsc694c3d8.png

Chris

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Velcro in a combat zone was a NO NO, Velcro on a listening post was a NO NO. Fellow soldiers in a combat zone who used Velcro were a NO NO. Anything issued with Velcro got field modified real fast even if it mean taping around the cuffs. if you come across a camo M-65 with buttons, chances are it was field modified. When the original M-65s came out, the old M-51s were still in use and were worth their weight in gold. I know of no M-51 that were camo.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think some of the 1st edition M-65s had button cuffs. They are easy to spot because they also lack epaulets. But they are OG-107, not woodland camo. Every issued woodland or ERDL M-65 I've ever seen had Velcro fasteners at the cuffs.

AF

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Zhz, I would tend to agree that it wasn't issue. I don't think the M51 was ever issued in woodland pattern. I also haven't personally seen an M65 with external elbow reinforcements. That elbo reinforcements almost sounds more like the old Italian camo jackets

italiancamou_zpsc694c3d8.png

Chris

That looks more a Russian camo pattern but I can see the Italian rank star on the collar

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Very interesting responses there guys but the jacket was an actual M65, not one of the knock off types that you described.
It bore no resemblence to either of the jacket photos as posted. definately an M65 in woodland pattern and bearing the US Army
chest insignia although the divisional shoulder insignia appeared to have gone missing in action. But button cuffs for sure and
reinforced elbows which seem to have been original fittings as opposed to a later modification.
I own one M65 in OD Green with the US Army chest insignia and the divisional shoulder Insignia being that of The 1st. Inf. Div.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
The possibility of a field modification sounds plausible if buttons were less likely than velcro to attract attention.
As to those Italian jackets, I recall them available in olive green but very un-cool and cheap looking compared to the
M65.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
No, for sure there were M65's issued in woodland camo. Seen them on USAF bases.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Just checked out the M51 jacket but the one I saw yesterday was clearly an M65 in woodland with the hood concealed in the collar.
I´ve also seen distressed knock off versions but never in woodland.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Just checked out the M51 jacket but the one I saw yesterday was clearly an M65 in woodland with the hood concealed in the collar.
I´ve also seen distressed knock off versions but never in woodland.

For sure, the M-65 were issued in camo and with a concealed hood in the collar. We cut them out so the collar would lay flat. The camo version came out a few years later. Original M-65 were in OD green. When the Army went to camo, button cuffs were still in use.

This was probably a transitional issue.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
One interest thing is, Travis wore a Tank jacket in most of the movie, but most people would cosplay him with a M65

Very true (I've got a niced repro of the Tanker; bought it three years ago but must get around to stenciling on the back because I've yet to wear it waiting for that; it hangs in my office...). I imagine though that the M65 gets more love because of its use in the finale, which contains the most celebrated moments in the film outside of the "You lookin' at me?" mirror sequence.

He called himself "The Hipster Capt. America". I didn't catch it but he did.

Worf

:lol: Hipsters round your way into M65s now? I think round here they're still mostly wearing dodgy Eighties leather jackets two sizes too small.

zhz

Practically Family
Very true (I've got a niced repro of the Tanker; bought it three years ago but must get around to stenciling on the back because I've yet to wear it waiting for that; it hangs in my office...). I imagine though that the M65 gets more love because of its use in the finale, which contains the most celebrated moments in the film outside of the "You lookin' at me?" mirror sequence.

:lol: Hipsters round your way into M65s now? I think round here they're still mostly wearing dodgy Eighties leather jackets two sizes too small.

I think that is "You talking to me"? And yes, the final part is the most celebrated moments apart from the mirror talking moment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran