Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Just wanted to mention that after all the praise I read here, I recently got a couple of Wolly Pullies for myself (navy crew, black V - XLs), and one for my son (navy V - S), from Outdoor Knitwear. I haven't worn them yet aside from a quick try-on, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am also very impressed with the quality for the price.

My only complaint is that the shipping was unexpectedly expensive: Sure, it's international shipping, but doesn't $60 for two small packages seem high? (I did automatically get the sale prices, so even with the hefty shipping these were pretty reasonable.)

Re the black Woolly Pullies: I believe that the US Army wear them. It's a good colour and part of my collection!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't much care what service wears them. My obsessions don't run that deep. It's enough that it's a classic military garment, with all the functionality and style that implies!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Re the black Woolly Pullies: I believe that the US Army wear them. It's a good colour and part of my collection!

Hi Ticklishchap,

Did you ever receive the US Army Special Forces crest pin for the wp I sent a few years back?
Breaking out the winter sweater gear now. Cheers. :)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Hi Ticklishchap,

Did you ever receive the US Army Special Forces crest pin for the wp I sent a few years back?
Breaking out the winter sweater gear now. Cheers. :)

Hi Harp,
I most certainly did and I wrote and thanked you at the time. It was a great honour (or honor in US) to receive it.
It's great to be breaking out the winter sweater gear, Woolly Pullies included!
Thanks once again.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Just wanted to mention that after all the praise I read here, I recently got a couple of Wolly Pullies for myself (navy crew, black V - XLs), and one for my son (navy V - S), from Outdoor Knitwear. I haven't worn them yet aside from a quick try-on, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am also very impressed with the quality for the price.

My only complaint is that the shipping was unexpectedly expensive: Sure, it's international shipping, but doesn't $60 for two small packages seem high? (I did automatically get the sale prices, so even with the hefty shipping these were pretty reasonable.)

Glad you liked the purchases, no doubt with the cold weather we hear you have there at the moment, you will be glad of these sweaters.

Regarding the cost of the shipping, I think it's just that the postal service here is rather expensive and they may have sent it traced mail for extra safety.

Enjoy your sweaters. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
BTW, I did NOT mean to write "Wolly"!

We have had premature winter conditions here for the last two weeks (*), and I had to break out some of my winter outerwear early. But for some reason I felt that I had to work my way up to wool sweaters as usual: so thus far, I've only worn cotton sweaters. However, I expect these Woolly Pullies will get plenty of use quite soon!

(* Substantial snow even! But I live atop a mountain at over a thousand feet of elevation, and we generally have colder conditions and higher snow accumulations than the surrounding valleys.)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
BTW, I did NOT mean to write "Wolly"!

We have had premature winter conditions here for the last two weeks (*), and I had to break out some of my winter outerwear early. But for some reason I felt that I had to work my way up to wool sweaters as usual: so thus far, I've only worn cotton sweaters. However, I expect these Woolly Pullies will get plenty of use quite soon!

(* Substantial snow even! But I live atop a mountain at over a thousand feet of elevation, and we generally have colder conditions and higher snow accumulations than the surrounding valleys.)

Our TV News has shown the bad weather in your area, I think Buffalo had awful conditions. Hope it clears up soon.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm nowhere near Buffalo, we didn't get any of the awful lake effect snow here. However, it is snowing really hard right now, with the likelihood of ten to fifteen inches by the time it ends tonight. With tomorrow being Thanksgiving and today (literally) the busiest travel day of the year in the US, this huge east coast storm is ruining many people's travel and holiday plans. (I already have both my kids here, plenty of food, plenty of fuel, and no plans to be anywhere else on Thanksgiving, so we're hunkered down!)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I'm nowhere near Buffalo, we didn't get any of the awful lake effect snow here. However, it is snowing really hard right now, with the likelihood of ten to fifteen inches by the time it ends tonight. With tomorrow being Thanksgiving and today (literally) the busiest travel day of the year in the US, this huge east coast storm is ruining many people's travel and holiday plans. (I already have both my kids here, plenty of food, plenty of fuel, and no plans to be anywhere else on Thanksgiving, so we're hunkered down!)

I would like a real blast of cold weather here, as we have had a few times in recent years, but not such a heavy storm that it causes real inconvenience. We've had some nice frosty weather recently and I hope for some more soon and at least we've lost the damp, mild weather that was both boring and unseasonable.

It's good weather for woolly pullies now, incidentally.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yes, these are the first ones I've had.

And I've been wearing both of them: it's been VERY cold here recently - temps only in the single digits some mornings! I've been (nearly) warm enough with them over a long-sleeve T-shirt and under an MA-1 jacket, with corduroy pants, hat (Stylemaster or Temple fedora) and gloves.

These are great sweaters: they are definitely warmer than my lambswool and Shetlands, second only to an old, thick ragg wool pullover that I only break out now for the coldest conditions. Anyway, I'm very pleased with them.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes, these are the first ones I've had.

And I've been wearing both of them: it's been VERY cold here recently - temps only in the single digits some mornings! I've been (nearly) warm enough with them over a long-sleeve T-shirt and under an MA-1 jacket, with corduroy pants, hat (Stylemaster or Temple fedora) and gloves.

These are great sweaters: they are definitely warmer than my lambswool and Shetlands, second only to an old, thick ragg wool pullover that I only break out now for the coldest conditions. Anyway, I'm very pleased with them.

I'm glad you're pleased with them and that I helped encourage you to make the purchase.

The weather here has been dry and cold (although not cold by Upstate New York standards). I have to admit that I like thrive in these conditions. As for the woolly pullies, I have been wearing them under a Barbour jacket and like you with corduroy trousers (pants as you call them in the US) and with a tweed cap, fedora or Mongolian leather cap. I have so many WPs that I can rotate them - Army, Navy, Air Force blue, black, etc. on different days. Dark Grey Mix today!

I am outside quite a lot in my property management work and so the woolly pullies are invaluable.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've been on a sweater buying spree lately and just received an olive drab Woolly Pully from Outdoor Knitwear. Delivered from the UK to New York in 7 days. Haven't worn it yet, but I expect to break it out this week. Great quality and great fit.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I've been on a sweater buying spree lately and just received an olive drab Woolly Pully from Outdoor Knitwear. Delivered from the UK to New York in 7 days. Haven't worn it yet, but I expect to break it out this week. Great quality and great fit.

Congratulations. I am sure you will not regret that purchase and will enjoy wearing the olive drab. However I should warn you that Woolly Pullies are quite addictive and so other colours might soon enter your wardrobe.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes it is certainly the season/weather now to be wearing these fine sweaters. I am in my Moss Green Crew Neck now in fact.

As a point of interest. I was in Camberly, Surrey at the Weekend and there is a shop there that sells the Outdoor Knitwear sweaters at the same price as their website. I also was in Kew, Greater London a few days ago and there is a store there that also sells Woolly Pullies, Pure Wool, British Made from GBP £15.00. I bought a Navy Crew Neck from them, as my older one seems to have shrunk.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes it is certainly the season/weather now to be wearing these fine sweaters. I am in my Moss Green Crew Neck now in fact.

As a point of interest. I was in Camberly, Surrey at the Weekend and there is a shop there that sells the Outdoor Knitwear sweaters at the same price as their website. I also was in Kew, Greater London a few days ago and there is a store there that also sells Woolly Pullies, Pure Wool, British Made from GBP £15.00. I bought a Navy Crew Neck from them, as my older one seems to have shrunk.

... And I am in my Maroon crew neck right now!
I have just ordered a new Peat Brown WP from Outdoor Knitwear, a crew neck with epaulettes and pen pocket.
May I ask the names of these shops in Camberley and Kew? Despite living in S-W London, I have never actually been to Camberley except to go through it as a station. It's the kind of place you'd get Daily Mail readers/Ukip voters with whiny voices, I suspect.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
As a soldier I had the green woolly pully for years but rarely wore it once we got into combat 95 and never in the later current pattern. I did pick up a Norwegian Army jumper in Bosnia that I used to wear on tour. Thick wool with fold down cuffs, thumb holes and a shawl collar you could fasten up on a velcro tab. Similar in style to the old US ground crew sweater. Almost never wear a sweater these days, just throw on a fleece or a hoodie!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As a soldier I had the green woolly pully for years but rarely wore it once we got into combat 95 and never in the later current pattern. I did pick up a Norwegian Army jumper in Bosnia that I used to wear on tour. Thick wool with fold down cuffs, thumb holes and a shawl collar you could fasten up on a velcro tab. Similar in style to the old US ground crew sweater. Almost never wear a sweater these days, just throw on a fleece or a hoodie!

I have never in my life possessed either a fleece or a hoodie and I am likely to keep it that way. Fleeces I particularly dislike as I associate them with 'rambler' types - I am a long-distance hiker and I wear wool as a middle layer because it breathes so well, whereas synthetic fleece doesn't. Also the way they are made is very environmentally unfriendly. I think they are starting to go the way of shell-suits happily. ...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou