Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
nobodyspecial said:
I have several; a blue v-neck which I believe to be British air force, a black crew neck from LL Bean and an olive drab which is Austrian.

I'd like to get an olive crew neck style as well as the Norwegian style with the higher neck and thumb loops.

The blue v-neck would be Royal Aire Force (RAF) if it was blue-grey. The USAF has a similar sweater: I have both crew and v-neck (the crew is an older version but still worn).

You can get an olive green sweater from Silvermans in London. www.silvermans.co.uk Got to the section marked 'Jumpers, Fleeces and Tops' and you will see 'Army Woolly Pully'.

There might also be the Norwegian thumb-loop sweater you mention, but I can't remember.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
There are always a bunch of them at the value village here, all Canadian issue, generally from the late '80s or early '90s, for under $

The Canadian version in bottle green is great!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Corto said:
I would say over the last...23 years I've owned about 3 or 4 of them. The original British made "Wooly Pully" that was sold by Brigade Quartermasters were always the best quality.

Corto,
Thanks for that very useful message! It's a cool day here in England (I am happy to say) and I'm actually wearing my olive green woolly pully.

The What Price Glory site looks great. The WWII sweater is not available in my size (!), but there is a similar one (early WWII) without patches that looks very good, and which I think I shall order!

To get an olive green army sweater, go to www.silvermans.co.uk then click on Jumpers, Fleeces & Tops, then you will see Army Woolly Pully. There is also Crew Neck Navy Woolly Pully (dark blue) and the v-neck RAF version (blue grey).

You can also go to www.surplusandoutdoors.com then click on Outdoor Clothing, then Jumpers and Shirts, then New Military Olive Green 100% Wool Combat Jumper. [Make sure you click on this one and avoid the dreaded acrylic imitations.]

There is also www.flightstore.co.uk then click on Clothing, then Pilot Jumpers - there are crew and v neck woolly pullies available there in navy blue.

The woolly pully is still optional gear for the Army and the Marines - and the navy and air force versions are still quite widely worn in those services.

I hope these references are helpful to you.
Best Wishes,
Aidan
aidan.rankin@tiscali.co.uk

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
That's what I get for not reading the entire thread. Ticklishchap, beat me to the draw. ;-)

Corto said:
Brigade used to sell one color per service (Army- black, Navy-dark blue, USAF-lt. blue, USMC- olive, and I believe there was a brown one as well) - but no longer. Does anyone know if the US military still has them as an official uniform item? In this day and age of polypropylene and tightening budgets I can't imagine they'd still exist.

As far as I know the Army, and USMC still authorize them. I don't believe they ever were an 'issue' item, but authorized for individual purchase at clothing sales. Due to the price, the black Army v-neck, is becoming harder and harder, to find in 100% wool. I guess it doesn't really matter, because they were wearing it with the class-B greens. Which aren't going to be worn in the field. I don't know if the sweater will get dropped when they eliminate the Service Greens.

USMC still has their sweater available through USMC clothing sales.

Not sure about the other military branches. They have been popular in public safety uniform shops.

Brigade QM used to have the best ones. That's too bad, that you can't get them there anymore.

Corto

A-List Customer
Ticklishchap, unfortunately, according to my wife I'm all set with military sweaters at the moment and can't justify adding just one more to my inventory. But, all those UK retailers are good to know about. I've perused all but "Flightstore" for different things at one point or another in the last few years.

Lone Ranger- I figured the Wooly Pully was still in the inventory somewhere. I spent a long sojourn in Washington DC a few years ago and could swear I saw the occasional Wooly Pully-clad Jarhead out and about. But while replying to this thread the first time I couldn't be sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Corto said:
Ticklishchap, unfortunately, according to my wife I'm all set with military sweaters at the moment and can't justify adding just one more to my inventory. But, all those UK retailers are good to know about. I've perused all but "Flightstore" for different things at one point or another in the last few years.

Corto, Thanks for that. Keep working on your wife and soften her up! I am sure she'll relent and you have your Rothco woolly pully meanwhile!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Several surplus stores in the US sell "commando sweaters", but now they're mostly acrylic. I don't like acrylic.

Later

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
1961MJS said:
Hi

Several surplus stores in the US sell "commando sweaters", but now they're mostly acrylic. I don't like acrylic.

Later

Acrylic should be avoided like the plague. If you follow my recommendations (see post to Corto), you will be guaranteed an authentic 100% wool sweater.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Agreed. I would never remotely consider getting an acrylic one. I hate most synthetic fabrics...

I agree with you. They don't 'breathe' like wool and other natural fibres. A acrylic militay sweaters look fake!

By the way, someone on this thread was asking about Norwegian military sweaters - thick ribbed wool with button collar and the arm extending into a glove. There's one on www.ebay.co.uk (search 'army jumper').

Corto

A-List Customer
Doctor Strange said:
In all honesty, I have no idea if they're decently sized or well made, though I have occasionally flirted with the idea of getting one someday.

When I opened up my package and saw the "Rothco" label I almost sent it back on principal- I've never owned anything made by Rothco that was decent quality. However, the sweater seemed well made and the fit was good. I used it during several heavy labor activities last winter and it didn't rip, tear or anything.

I got it from Barre Army Navy: http://www.vtarmynavy.com/ (Use the search terms, "Commando Sweater").

If you can't get a real Wooly Pully off of eBay, this is probably the way to go. (Actually, the LLBean one doesn't look "real" but it doesn't look bad for a civilian-ized version, either...The price is certainly right...and it's probably good quality.)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey, I'm a big fan of Barre Army-Navy myself: I've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years... and always got great prices and excellent service. Very nice folks there.

That LL Bean model looks interesting. The price is reasonable, and Bean's XLs always fit me more or less right (though their general materials/manufacturing quality has fallen a bit over the years I've been buying their stuff). I'm planning a trip to Maine this summer: I'll have to try one on when I'm in Freeport.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Here's a picture of one of my French army surplus ones. I'm going to take off the velcro patch on the chest that they use for name/rank.

388734370.jpg

Also, I've two military/field style woolly pully sweaters in the classifieds at the moment, one British by Woollyback and the other a cheap Polish one.

SMUPhil

New in Town
The Marine Corps still issues all recruits a green 'wooly-pully' sweater at boot camp. I'm pretty sure they are acrylic, though.

The USMC also authorizes a blue sweater with Dress Blue 'C' uniform (blue pants, khaki long-sleeve shirt), but I believe they are trying to phase this out. I say this because I never see them being sold in any uniform shop, although the uniform regulations still allow it.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I am wearing a new, recently acquired woolly pully crew neck - the standard design but instead of green or blue it's black.

(Pure ribbed wool, of course - not acrylic, which I would never wear).

MY understanding is that the black version is warn by the USMC - and in the recent past was worn by the Royal Tank Regiment (the now wear a black Guernsey sweater).

FPKawaii

New in Town
My opinion on Commando Sweaters is as follows:

On girls they look super cute. On guys they look manly and reminds people to not mess with you. I own one British green sweater and one British black sweater.

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
I was issued one of those not that long ago. Got charged for wrecking it after I stupidly put it in the washing machine. It wouldn't have fitted a doll when it came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner