Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mimi Leder's All Quiet on the Western Front

Story

I'll Lock Up
Any high school student who has ever slogged through Erich Maria Remarque’s All Quiet on the Western Front has probably hungered for a shiny new film adaptation of the war novel to supplement their dedicated consumption of SparkNotes or CliffsNotes or whatever it is the young people use these days. And now they’re getting one! From the director of Pay It Forward!

Mimi Leder (who has, to be fair, also helmed Deep Impact, The Peacemaker, and a mess of gritty TV) will direct a new adaptation of Remarque’s classic novel about the horrors of World War I. Leder will be working from a script by Ian Stokell and Lesley Paterson. The pair’s first feature, The Negotiation, still appears to be in production for a release sometime this year.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/ne...ptation-of-all-quiet-on-the-western-front.php

Seventy-one years later, director Mimi Leder (Pay It Forward) will helm a new adaptation from a script by Ian Stokell and Lesley Paterson. “With this version, most of it takes place in the last 24 hours of the war. WWI fighting was brutal, hand-to-hand and ugly, and it practically wiped out a generation of young men,” Leder tells Deadline, adding “What is so compelling is the catastrophic levels of violence, this mind-numbing savagery, and what happens to a boy who in the journey to becoming a man has to become an animal.”
Last year we reported that Daniel Radcliffe was attached to star, but it’s unknown if he’s still on board. Filming is set for late 2012 and Leder says “We need a battlefield and an old village so we’ll go where the financing takes us,” which makes it sound as if the film is still isn’t fully funded yet.

http://collider.com/all-quiet-on-the-western-front-remake-mimi-leder/105634/

Renault

One Too Many
Story, I "slogged" thru All Quiet about a half a dozen time in High school! Call me a bit touched, but I couldn't put the book down!!!! Watched the old Lew Ayres original several weeks ago! What impresses me about that version is the artillery barrages!

Renault

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
No disrespect to her, some of her previous work was entertaining.

But I am not sure I like the idea of modern day Hollywood turning another masterpiece into a blockbuster with their usual regard to the original novel...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace