Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mmmm... toast!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, one of my guilty pleasures! Nothing like a nice hot piece of toast with lots of butter on a cold day! And nothing better then having it toasted by a simply beautiful piece of art deco mastery!

I just picked up a 1939 Toastmaster toaster early this week. It works good and makes my kitchen shout ?¢‚Ǩ?ìArt Deco?¢‚Ǩ? It only cost me $25. and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m really happy with it and just wanted to share my new little joy with the rest of you.

1191972img1xf.jpg

Also, I have a few others that I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d like to share that have been in the collection for years?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

1935 Sunbeam.

1191970img2tw.jpg

1933-34 Reed Cameron (Canadian make) This toaster like, really gets the job done, eh!!!

1191971img5eh.jpg

=WR=

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Whoa,....

Just where exactly do ya find all these gems? Thrift stores? Seems the only place to get a toaster like those around these parts is in an over-priced antique store. All the local thrift stores in my area don't seem to have any good stuff,...or maybe I gotta look harder?

Mycroft

One Too Many
Tosters have always been a symbol of whatever design has been popular, Art Deco, Arts and Crafts, etc. Man, what do you use to polish those puppies. Hey Root, this is a good toast resipe: if you burn your toast put cream chesse on it, its amazing (drink a glass of cold water with it too), Also, I love fried eggs on toast.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Just where exactly do ya find all these gems? Thrift stores? Seems the only place to get a toaster like those around these parts is in an over-priced antique store. All the local thrift stores in my area don't seem to have any good stuff,...or maybe I gotta look harder?

I found the 1939 Toastmaster at an "Over priced" Antique shop in Pasadena! Toasters can be expensive but, most times they're not. You may try your hand at ebay (they're going real cheap on there!) and you may try a Flea Market or Swap Meet! They're every where man! The 1935 Sunbeam I found at an antique shop for the same price I paid for my 1939 T-Master. Just have to look.

The Canadian double door toaster I found in a small thrift shop in Canada for only $5.00 Canadian!
It's so mint it's not even funny!

Mycroft said:
Tosters have always been a symbol of whatever design has been popular, Art Deco, Arts and Crafts, etc. Man, what do you use to polish those puppies. Hey Root, this is a good toast resipe: if you burn your toast put cream chesse on it, its amazing (drink a glass of cold water with it too), Also, I love fried eggs on toast.

Very true Mycroft! Toasters do stand as a symbol of the style of the times they were made! As to what I use to polish them, I use Mother?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s brand polish that can be found at Auto Zone or any fine auto parts stores. It works really good!

Oh and another thing that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s good to do with burned toast is, put it in a bowl of milk! It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s called Milk Toast and is a Depression era meal.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
It's all about Deco toast!

The '39 Toastmaster was also a part of the New York World's Fair! Also not to be forgotten is the ever so famous Sunbeam model T-9 that has an Art Deco "trylon and Perisphere" on the side!

t9pic.gif

=WR=

Mycroft

One Too Many
I got to try that milk toast, sounds like a dorm room meal. My favorite type of toast in the world is defentitlly Challah toast with margine or for those who do know what Challah is it is Jewish Egg Bread, and it is amazing.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Mr. Root,

Cool toasters. The setting tho could be improved. The blinds in the background might easily be exchanged for a wide slat aluminum venitian blind with cotton cord. These are readily available new and custom sized for relatively little money.

The p-lam counter is a little off-putting as well. An easy project is to re-place the top with one covered in real linoleum ( I like dark red - the color of dried blood). Armstrong is still producing it as well as Forbo. The substrate can be either plywood or particle board. Its simply a matter of cutting the lino to fit and applying the chrome metal edges & fillets. This was a common top thru the 50s. Lino is fairly expensive now but a coutertop requires so little.

m

Springing to the next style

After Art Deco you get the some what of an offshoot of STREAMLINED!
Man that is also cool, they had toasters that looked like they were doing about 150 miles an hour on your counter top. Steamlining was everywhere! I have seen ceramic water pitchers and even tea pots that were increadible examples of STREAMLINING! WOO, I get chills just thinking about it!

Naama

Practically Family
Wow, havent had toast for a looooooooooooooong time now, but now I think I should get a toaster........

They look great!

Naama

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
You gotta love the original Toastmasters, I have a couple of the 1940s model,... At the rate they last, the owners usually burn out before the toaster.:p

It's interesting to see how well made vintage appliances outlast modern junk.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
WILD ROOT was one of the KIDS IN THE HALL???

image.php

His Avatar has always made me think of Dave Foley, one of the most prominent of theFab Five.
Foley is now the host of a celeb Blackjack TV programme. (Foley was the best looking one of the bunch.) :drum:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Absinthe_1900 said:
You gotta love the original Toastmasters, I have a couple of the 1940s model,... At the rate they last, the owners usually burn out before the toaster.:p

It's interesting to see how well made vintage appliances outlast modern junk.

Oh man, isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t that the truth! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve told some that I use vintage appliances and they look at me like I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m crazy or something. I laugh and tell them that these little guys out lasted the original owners and they still work! I even use my 1929 Hoover vacuum cleaner! If they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re taken care of and checked to make sure they have no lose wires, they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll last for ever! Nothing tougher in the kitchen then an old Wering Blender or a toaster! Such plane and simple designed components = reliable, easy to fix goods!

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m with ya 100% Absinthe!

Katt in Hat said:
image.php

His Avatar has always made me think of Dave Foley, one of the most prominent of theFab Five.
Foley is now the host of a celeb Blackjack TV programme. (Foley was the best looking one of the bunch.) :drum:

Why thank you Katt, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve seen the show ?¢‚Ǩ?ìKids in the Hall?¢‚Ǩ? a few times. I appreciate the compliment! However, let?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s stay on topic. ;)

Thanks again!

=WR=

Vintage appliances

At my parents old house down in the basement was (and maybe still is) their old frig, the brand escapes me, but it is about 4 or 5 years older that me. As of 2001 it was still running, making it then 46-47 years old.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh boy, refrigerators... that's a another ball of wax all together! I saw a 1930's monitor top fridge at an antique mall. The darned thing still worked!!! I plan to get one of them monitor top fridges, I know they have very little freezer space but, I'm not big on frozen food any way.

Ok, back to toasters.

=WR=

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
This talk about toasters reminds me of my grandparents. They like toast so well that they kept the toaster on the kitchen table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy