Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MOB CITY / L A Noir [TNT]

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube_share;sW-WF313Ljo]http://youtu.be/sW-WF313Ljo[/video]

An we have a date for the start of the show.
December 4th and the name has been changed
To MOB CITY.

tecolote

New in Town
I am looking forward to this,although after watching all of the previews(which are good), I'm wondering if I've spotted a spoiler involving Bugsy Seigel.
Someone even took the time to teach Alexa Davalos the proper technique to rapid-wind a Leica screw-mount camera....
Regards,

Tecolote

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'm taping it, looks like Saturday morning.
I was traveling back home this morning, and went to bed before the program came on.
So...I missed it.
Was it good?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let me be the first to say that I really did NOT enjoy Mob City at all.
There's nothing here that we haven't seen before, and seen it done better. Very disappointed.

2075rami

One of the Regulars
I just watched the first night on the DVR, and I enjoyed it. It was better than I had anticipated thus far.

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I found it closer to the superficial dreck of Gangster Squad than the staggering brilliance of L.A. Confidential. The characters are meh, but the production quality is pretty good.

I'll keep watching, but it's now pretty clear why TNT is dumping these first six episodes as a "miniseries event" rather than promoting this big-time with a more visible showcase during last month's all-important sweeps: it's very unlikely that this will be expanded into a regular series.

tecolote

New in Town
Gangster Squad is indeed dreck, it was hard to enjoy the period detail watching it. Mob City could be awful and still be way better. I enjoyed it enough to watch it twice. One of my favorites bits was the sort of Dragnet-like dialoque Rothman and his buddy had with ex-con busboy right before the
Parmesan cheese hit.
I do have some nits to pick/questions, though:
I didn't think filtered cigarettes were around in 1947, and were dumpsters around by then.
Teague's shoulder holster morphs from a re-harnessed Lewis to a Lawrence at the oilfield, and back again.
Why is Parker wearing what look like LAPD Traffic division shoulder patches?
One of Jasmine's Leicas has a self timer,which was introduced until 1954, on the other hand that sure is a nice bag of Leica stuff she has.

There's some similarity to Raymond Chandler's The Little Sister with the blackmail of the mobster Steelgrave,based on Siegel, by Orrin Quest with his Leica.

Regards,

Tecolote

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
While I'm not expert on the clothing and cars, as far as "period correct", I have to say this thing started out confusing, hard to follow, and "overblown" as far as production goes. Maybe I haven't had enough alcohol, maybe I've had too much (even though I haven't had a drink today), but this thing stinks.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Gangster Squad is indeed dreck, it was hard to enjoy the period detail watching it. Mob City could be awful and still be way better. I enjoyed it enough to watch it twice. One of my favorites bits was the sort of Dragnet-like dialoque Rothman and his buddy had with ex-con busboy right before the
Parmesan cheese hit.
I do have some nits to pick/questions, though:
I didn't think filtered cigarettes were around in 1947, and were dumpsters around by then.
Teague's shoulder holster morphs from a re-harnessed Lewis to a Lawrence at the oilfield, and back again.
Why is Parker wearing what look like LAPD Traffic division shoulder patches?
One of Jasmine's Leicas has a self timer,which was introduced until 1954, on the other hand that sure is a nice bag of Leica stuff she has.

There's some similarity to Raymond Chandler's The Little Sister with the blackmail of the mobster Steelgrave,based on Siegel, by Orrin Quest with his Leica.

Regards,

Tecolote

And what about Simon Peggs character saying..Just like Cagney...Top of the world Ma. That was from White Heat which came out in 1949 and this show takes place in 1947.......even with the continuity errors I muist confess that I did enjoy it enought that I will see what the next episodes are like.

Kirk H.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
To keep the thread alive, I have read recently that the title of the show has been changed to Lost Angels. I guess Rockstar, creators of L.A. Noire the video game, were having quite a hissy fit about the name and threatened to sue the pants off of everyone involved in the TNT show if they continued to use the name L.A. Noir.

You would want to sue too if somebody stole the name and setting of your successful project without your permission.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I stand corrected, but my meaning was that the video game had the name first.
Mob City just doesn't have the same ring IMHO.
Again, maybe it will grow on me.
The singers though, I'm not so sure about.
Youtube some of the songs from LA Noire (the video game) and see the difference between the quality.
Some old (recorded in the 30's through the 40's) and some recorded for the game.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
The book L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City
by John Buntin, came out in 2009.
The video game L.A. Noire appeared in 2011. The demo was released in 2010.

Then Buntin should of sued first!

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Caught the first episode the other night and actually rather enjoyed it. It was visually very vibrant, with good use of lighting, which I thought gave a suitable contrast to the noir feel.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Enjoyed it. One can get too focused on the detail of these things to the detriment of actually just escaping into the fantasy of it all for an hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred