Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moderators not doing their jobs...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Phil said:
I found an image appropriate to what some other forums are. Not meant to bash any one forum, I just think it's funny.
n7815521_32916303_4201.jpg

In these cases, who is the bigger fool: the fool, or the fool arguing with him (or her)? That thought is enough to make me cease and desist from most arguments.

Jovan

Suspended
I guess the articles are news to people who don't go on message boards much, but for me it's old news. :p

Saying this may get me banned, but while it is pretty civilized here it seems a lot of people take any sort of differing opinion as flaming. While I understand everyone here is trying to keep flamewars down to a minimum, it can get a bit overzealous. For example, when I said that black shirts with light jackets didn't look good to me because it can appear slightly costumish, I can't even remember how many people -- including one moderator -- basically told me to step off if I don't like vintage style. And someone before me said it before I did with impunity! Some of it was a little nasty in tone. Ironic? I think so. In trying to keep the place more civilized, some people tend to act less than civilized. I've seen it before.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
I have been in forums - and left them again - where the whole atmosphere was so uptight, gung-ho, redbloded american (sorry) that even the smallest remark not in line with the webmaster and his followers, was flamed right there.
[...] Many of its members could make racial, sexualharrassing jokes or talk s... about political oponents, but if somebody tried to joke back, defend or discuss it, you got the hammer and were told to f... of and dont let the door hit you etc....:rolleyes:
You've pointed up a subtle difference between a good board and a not-so-good one. On a good board, an egalitarian spirit, as of the 'net of old, prevails thruout. On a not-so-good board, there is an inner circle whom one best not argue with. There are either no mods to oversee this, or else they're mostly yesmen to the webmaster.

All this has little to do with the quality or usefulness of postings on the forum. We all know experts who aren't so pleasant to be around, especially when their expertise is not assumed. And we all know that nice and polite sometimes go hand in hand with boring and tame.

While in this lounge - as soon as you enter the door, you feel the laidback atmosphere. [...] Of course it must have started with some bartenders down the line - but I guesse every single member also feel a great responsibillity to keep this nice atmosphere. And thank you for that.:eusa_clap
Hear hear. :eusa_clap :) It really is up to all of us.

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
Parallel Guy said:
Being civil is way underrated. Too often people mistake being rude for standing up for thier rights. Unfortunately, we've come to yield to those who yell the loudest and believe that volume equals passion. Soft confidence is and always has been more impressive.
Quoted for truth. :eusa_clap
General rudeness, I find, has somehow become a trait to be admired. The bigger the jerk, the more he seems to be revered. Especially, I think, in the currently pervasive "street culture". Why, for example, is it considered "cool" for a white kid, that's never been out of the manicured suburbs and the recipient of a first rate education, to look, talk and act like a street thug? Why is that romanticised? Somewhere, I think that it all ties in.

A lot of the general "tone" of a message board, FL included, centers around the members that it attracts. The FL is a niche community. Most of us are here because of a shared interest. A side effect of that shared interest is manners and civility. Not to take away anything from the "bartenders"...but that, I think, helps them immeasurably with their job.
I currently moderate a board that has 53,898 members, 8,846 active members, 107,434 threads and 2,124,046 posts. We attract a broad range of members. That's good, because I get the viewpoint from a wide range of backgrounds. We also enforce civility, but with our broad spectrum, it is no easy task. While spirited discussion is encouraged...disrespect is not tolerated. It doesn't take too long for the jerks to identify themselvs, and they either conform...or, they are shown the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner