Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Day Fighter vs. a Pro boxer back in 1875 - 1898?

green papaya

One Too Many
what if a it was possible to travel back in time and a modern day Fighter or Pro boxer from today went in the ring with a Old school boxer from the Good Old Days?

do you think the Old fashioned fighter with the old school training would stand a chance?

did they even do cardio work outs back in 1875? I noticed in some old time photos some fighters actually have a "pot belly"

628x471.jpg

article-2283649-123AF3CE000005DC-565_306x423.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Interesting premise. I'd like to see that played out on.... what was it called? That US show where they played warriors from different historical periods off against each other, most bizarrely Taliban against the IRA... I wouldn't bet against the Victorian too quickly. Sometimes a natural aptitude, not to mention a certain bloody-mindedness, can overcome any training. A huge element of succeeding in boxing is the mental attitude, being able to take a blow psychologically as much as physically, remaining in control. Sometimes those are things you can't instill as much as they have to be there already, imo.

Interesting premise. I'd like to see that played out on.... what was it called? That US show where they played warriors from different historical periods off against each other, most bizarrely Taliban against the IRA... I wouldn't bet against the Victorian too quickly. Sometimes a natural aptitude, not to mention a certain bloody-mindedness, can overcome any training. A huge element of succeeding in boxing is the mental attitude, being able to take a blow psychologically as much as physically, remaining in control. Sometimes those are things you can't instill as much as they have to be there already, imo.

Other huge elements of success are size, strength, speed and an 8-inch reach advantage. The guy in the top picture would get mauled in seconds.

ToucanSam23

New in Town
Interesting premise. I'd like to see that played out on.... what was it called?
I believe you are thinking of the programme Deadliest Warrior.

I feel that anyone from the Victorian era would immediately fell their opponent with the sheer magnificence of their mustache.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Bare knuckles boxers fought for hours, fights of 20 rounds or more were common. The ability to give and take "punishment" was prized. I don't know if today's fighters would have the stamina.

I'd have to agree with Edward that a Victorian-era pugilist would have an edge over a modern day fighter simply through ruthless cunning. Their social background and 19th century living conditions gave these guys far more street smarts than anybody from today's inner city. Besides, their muscles were not developed in a gym!

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
It really depends on whether you're talking about a mid-19th century bare knuckle fighter like John L. Sullivan, a later 19th century "scientific pugilist" Gentleman Jim Corrbett, or even an early 20th century fighter like Jack Dempsey.

When Corrbett came on the scene, he cut traditional sluggers to ribbens by using brains rather than brawns. An analogy for fighters of Sullivan's style is 18th century armies lining up a exchanging fusillades nose-to-nose. In the era of Dempsey, bob-and-weave styles became even more accepted and orthodox.

However, most telling I think would be Mohamed Ali 's success against orthodox stance fighters using fast attacks based on a highly developed cardio stamina. I don't think old school pugilists would even know where to begin in a fight with a guy like Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Edit:

Also, while bare knuckle fighting appears more brutal due to cuts that occur to the face and hands (which result in lots of blood), glove punches actually deliver more concussive force. This translates to greater knockdown power (it also contributes to greater long-term neurological damage, like that suffered by Mohamed Ali).

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
"Also, while bare knuckle fighting appears more brutal due to cuts that occur to the face and hands (which result in lots of blood), glove punches actually deliver more concussive force. This translates to greater knockdown power (it also contributes to greater long-term neurological damage, like that suffered by Mohamed Ali)."

Thank you. This is why I think the old timer would be harder to knock down and why the bout would last a long time. Without discounting today's fighters, I think the old timers might well wear them down and outlast them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart