Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern flight coats:

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Well, I'm, not sure its off topic, it is outerwear however short of vintage by a good 20 years. These are no longer issued however if you can privately procure one you are allowed to wear them on the flight line or in the hangers.

For your enjoyment:

DSC02876.jpg

This fits exactly the way I want my custom coat from Indy to fit. You will definitely be getting pictures of that in the future.

Compared the infamous early half of the 20th century jackets worn by German aviators, Marquis, Italians and cyclists alike there are no two exactly the same. There are very personalized with different trade badges, air frames, squadrons and so on.

Of course, anyone with a "newer" coat please post them too.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
The RCAF became the CAF in 1975, the wing is my trade badge. Im a fabricator. I work on metal, composites, machining, refinishing and in the not too distant future life support systems too.

barra063

Familiar Face
Opas Coat said:
The RCAF became the CAF in 1975, the wing is my trade badge. Im a fabricator. I work on metal, composites, machining, refinishing and in the not too distant future life support systems too.

Is the maintenance of Life Support Equipment normally the domain of the Aircraft Structures Trade?

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Since just recently, the Aircraft Structures guys (like me) are getting the ALSE course very soon. I know some guys who are loaded for it this summer, I'm the low man on the totem pole at this point time so I'll likely get it next year.

Are you RAAF? I've looked in to it and the RNZAF a little as a direct entry kind of thing once and a wile. It usually happens around half way through winter where we are at -40 up here and expect another month of it to come. Unfortunately there is no such thing as ACS in the RAAF and RNZAF, its broken down in to a few different trades like our system was some years ago.

barra063

Familiar Face
Yes I'm an RAAF ALSFITT (Aircraft Life Support Fitter). I was involved with trade training for 4 years and now back in the SQN's. Most of the current instructors, I put thru their basic course. Our structures (metal bashers) and surface finishers are seperate trades. The Kiwis are cross trained ALSE and surface finisher. A few jumped ship and came across to us.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
When I was at school in Borden at the Ref' shop for that portion of my training I had noticed a few boomerangs and I think a knife or club of some kind on plaques as a thank you from you guys. I don't remember much of the conversation however I do recall a discussion of a cross training program with the RAAF and the CAF, what ever came of it I don't know.

There is nothing I would like more (outside of a NATO posting to Europe) than to spend a few years down under working with you guys on an attached posting. I think I would find it hard to drop my leaf for a 'Roo or Kiwi no matter how cute the little bird:p and forget the bulls eye...

Would you be interested in trading a few of your squadrons stickers/ badges for some of mine/ others I can muster up from base?

barra063

Familiar Face
Sure Opas Coat. I'll see what I can rustle up. We have a few Aircrew that are Ex CAF, in fact my last CO is Canadian. I have deployed with Canadians in the past and hope I will again in the future. I have also guzzled my fair share of Moose milk during Ex Fincastles. Loooove the moose milk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael