Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern military boots

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
Anyone ever use modern or vintage military boots for hunting or any outdoor activity? I would like to know how they hold up in all types of weather/conditions/and terrain. I would assume since its military then it is probably a good choice. Ive also always wondered why more people dont use them since it is military, which is pretty good, instead they use "hunting and hiking " boots which cost more. Any help?

DerMann

Practically Family
Corcoran jump style boots are amazing.

Light (enough), sturdy, and they look marvelous. And of course, they are goodyear welted, so you can put whatever sole you want on them.

I might actually buy a pair of their vintage inspired brown jump boots.

The reproduction ammo boots (combat boot used by the British and Commonwealth armies for almost 50 years) offered by What Price Glory are cheaper than Corcorans, have thick leather soles, hobnails, and toe and heel irons. The only thing is that they're kind of big and heavy. I wear my pair (brown as per officer specifications, without hobnails) as a general purpose walking/work boot. For whatever reason the term "curb stomp" comes to mind whenever I strap them on :/

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Military boots (issued) are pretty inferior boots. They are made of simple one layer cowhide with little to no insulation.

I can't tell you how many times I was in the field, or somewhere on a real world mission and was absolutely miserable because of my issued boots. Remember, the military buys from the cheapest supplier. Military boots are made in mass quanities to serve only one purpose, to shoe the military as cheaply and quickly as possible.

Since I was in Special Forces, I had the luxury of being able to wear gear that wasn't issue so as soon as I could, I bought the best pair of boots I could afford that would still fall in to regulations.

I immediately got something non-leather, preferrably canvas or nylon as to not retain water.

If I were to buy a hunting boot, I would go with a good civilian made brand. These companies know their stuff and make products designed for exactly what they are used for.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'm not sure how useful the info will be for you in Pennsylvania, but I find the Swartzkopf-era desert boot to be hands down the most comfortable field boot I have ever worn.

Altama%20Tan%20Desert%20Vulcanized%20Boot1.gif

I have worn a couple pairs out, but they can be re-soled easily for another couple hundred miles. Altama sells these for about $90 or so.

I wore a pair doing fieldwork in western Pennsylvania and Indiana, and I would not recommend them in that environment, though! They soak up water something fierce, and will never dry out. They might be made to be somewhat waterproof, using dubbin like they did in WWI, or some similar product. I never tried it.

Otherwise the various types of jump boot offered by Corcoran are very comfortable, sturdy, and can also last years with resoling. WWII Impressions offers the service boot style, which are nice, but the taller jump boots give great ankle support. I wear Corcoran Marauders in uniform, and though not particularly vintage, they are absolutely fantastic on your feet. They have the cordura nylon sides, but they have a meatier tread. The Field Boot is all leather, but also has the meatier tread. I don't think the Marauders or the Field Boot comes in anything but black, tan suede, or the new Air Force sage green, though. If you want a more vintage look, the brown jump boot or service boot are your best bets. The soles are smoother on the WWII look-a-likes, but you can always get a sole with a better tread put on.

CorcoranXC1525.jpg

As to your original question, yes, I've used these boots under extremely harsh conditions, including dunking them in salt water off a landing craft and wearing them for three days solid afterwards, to fast roping out of helicopters down a 60-foot bull rope, humping for 13 miles at a stretch,.... The list goes on, and I've never had a boot fail me.

Hope that's helpful!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have a pair of Norwegian army boots with woollen liners and they are the best cold weather outdoor boots I have ever owned. They are hugely comfortable to wear and have never given me blisters and the soles are virtually bulletproof in terms of toughness.

I got them living in Norway and have even worn them up in the mountains inside the Arctic Circle in -35C and was never uncomfortable.

The best outdoor boots by a long chalk in my opinion.

Artigas

Familiar Face
I've used my Corcoran jump boots while hunting on the Red River (i.e., muddy woods). I first broke them in on a three-day hike across the plains of the OK panhandle. No complaints in either situation--and hey, maybe they're lucky, 'cause I got a pig when I wore them. :)

Weston

A-List Customer
Hugh Beaumont said:
Military boots (issued) are pretty inferior boots. They are made of simple one layer cowhide with little to no insulation.
(Snip)
If I were to buy a hunting boot, I would go with a good civilian made brand. These companies know their stuff and make products designed for exactly what they are used for.

Thank you! As an Air Force officer I can say that military boots are not ALWAYS the best, for the reasons you quoted above. In my experience, Corcorans have been decent boots, but I don't know if I was blown away by them. I needed arch support added through aftermarket Dr. Scholls stuff, but thats just my feet. I never saw them as a bit of "elite kit". Now the jump boots were more expensive, and may be of better quality, but seeing as 90% of my time is spent on ground (unless getting on a C-130 or stray Globemaster III), I have no need (or authorization?) for them. In all honesty my boots and BDU's spend most of their time trodding concrete around AFBs.

I second the "find a good civilian contractor" school. Corcorans able to please the government - that can keep you in business. But you want a company that pleases the customer – a better way to stay in business.

Artigas

Familiar Face
Weston said:
I second the "find a good civilian contractor" school. Corcorans able to please the government - that can keep you in business. But you want a company that pleases the customer – a better way to stay in business.

Still, you gotta admit, the history aspect of it is pretty darn cool. When I got mine, the box they came in had a little pamphlet on the history of the boots, including a pic of General Gavin toting an M1 and wearing his in Europe.

Sometimes I think I should have gotten the brown ones, but I go back and forth on that. I don't think I can justify getting another pair, at least not until these get worn out (probably never).

Weston

A-List Customer
Artigas said:
Still, you gotta admit, the history aspect of it is pretty darn cool. When I got mine, the box they came in had a little pamphlet on the history of the boots, including a pic of General Gavin toting an M1 and wearing his in Europe.

Sometimes I think I should have gotten the brown ones, but I go back and forth on that. I don't think I can justify getting another pair, at least not until these get worn out (probably never).

I hate to talk through my hat, and I may be WAY off base. But a story I read here said the current company simply bought the Corcoran name. It's not the original company.

If you got the dough, buy some Aldens.

Artigas

Familiar Face
There was some rumbling on another thread about how quality had gone down... in the 80s I think... but now, Corcoran is really a bunch of famous boot companies all under one roof, and their quality is back up. So even if it's not "the original" Corcoran, it's still "the real deal", IMO. The boots are good, and they look like the old ones, so I'm happy either way.

Weston

A-List Customer
Well, good to know! However, now may be the time to snag some well broken in or cheap Corcorans, as the services are moving to the sueded boot, which most are made by a different concern.

Rainbow something? can't remember the name, haven't been to military clothing on base for a month...

Artigas

Familiar Face
The suede boots are a few years old now, actually. They came in largely with the adoption of the ACUs and MARPAT. There is an issued boot, I believe, but I think you're allowed to purchase your own if they meet a certain level of expectations. Corcoran actually makes suede-out jump boots, if you look on their site. They may be an option for those who want that kind of thing.

For example:

MARPAT_combat.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I find the latest versions of the suede field boots to be pretty clunky, at least my steel toe Bates (the Marine Corps issue version) are. I only wear them when I absolutely have to for safety reasons. Others here have the Bellevilles and prefer them. I'm not crazy about the styling, either. They always look loose and sloppy to me (and feel the same way), not at all like the clean lines and good fit of my Corcorans.

One boot I've always found appealing is the
LL Bean Upland Boot
46843154-177x150-0-0.jpg

It has a very vintage look and feel, but with modern concessions, like a gore-tex lining. If I ever leave the desert for a wetter area, this will be one of my first purchases.

WH1

Practically Family
I have used several types of the current issue Marine Corps rough out boots. For my money best are the Danner private purchase. This last deployment to Iraq I found them to be highly dependable. They are light weight, comfortable, have a good wide sole to prevent rolling your ankle, high quality materials and construction and Danner backs their product. One of us had a pair with stitching that blew out, he contacted Danner, they sent him a new pair in less than 3 weeks. FYI I also used the Danner Ft Lewis boots for many years.
I have used the bellevilles and they are comfortable but the support is not as good as the Danners. At all costs avoid the Bates issue boot, I wore out a pair in 2 months on an operation and tore up my heels pretty badly even though they were fairly well broken in. The only time I have ever had blister issues while humping. (Usually my feet wear like iron, good genetics I guess):D

For humid, wet enviroments I have always found the old canvas/leather jungle boot to be pretty good, especially for the money.

Artigas

Familiar Face
"Where" as in a store, or a brand?

Just about any milsurp store will have what you're looking for or be able to order it, and there are plenty online. Shop around. You may find a deal.

As far as brand, I haven't been in the military (yet), so please understand I'm no expert, but the military now uses their tan suede-outs for all climes (not sure if they have winter/summer versions, though). I guess that should satisfy your stated all-around requirement, so I'd look into what the poster just before you wrote, as far as getting a non-issue version of such.

mister7

Familiar Face
One thing to consider is that any suede leather is split-grain. In other words, it is a slice of the cow hide, not the full thickness. Lighter, but not nearly as durable or sturdy as full grain leather. Also, much more prone to stretching and changing the fit after having gotten soaking wet a few times.

As far as soles go, walking on flat ground everything works fine. I did a 50 mile, one day walk earlier this summer and I wore a pair of high top Adidas basketball shoes. Even though they are full grain uppers they are very light and fit me perfectly. Of course the soles will not wear like a real pair of boots. It was a desert walk and a 100 degree day so I had 4 gallons of water. With food, camera, etc... it was a forty pound pack. I got no blisters because the shoes fit me so well. Those shoes will only last a couple of walks like that, but I would rather wear out my equipment than my body.

No one shoe is good for all conditions, but my perspective is I always wear the lightest shoe I can get by with. If you are picking up a couple of ounces more with each step it adds up to (literally) tons of extra weight you moved over the course of the day. My joints are bad, so it matters a lot to me. I own several pairs of boots of varying brands and designs but more and more I only wear real boots in the snow.

If its cold enough and the climbing technical enough that means my Asolo plastic mountaineering boots. Eight pounds for the pair but I still have all my toes, it is very rare when my feet even feel cold. But boy do my knees hurt!

I guess this is the long way of saying no one tool does every job. Shoe companies come and go so if you see a pair of shoes that really fit, and fill a niche in your quiver, buy em! After you find out if you really like them, consider buying another pair. They'll either quit making them or make them less well next year so get while the gettings good. End of rant!

Geesie

Practically Family
DnSchlng said:
thanks for the responses . anybody where to get the best pair of all purpose field boots for different conditions?

How "all purpose"? Are you going to be equally using them in the desert and in the swamp?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters