Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern military boots

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Just try to stay away from ALL leather. Leather retains water like a sponge, which leads to some very uncomfortable feet, especially when it's cold (most hunting seasons).

Military issued boots are ALL leather. I had several pair of Corcorans and they are not field boots. They are pretty jump boots. Did I wear them in the field? yes, and if I didn't get them wet, or wasn't out in the cold, or had to march in them, they were fine.

If I had to choose a military "style" boot for hunting I would pick these:

http://www.tacboots.com/c-danner-striker-boots-p-DAN-42919.html

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I second that. The "issue" boots are all leather and once you get them wet, you're done. One of the coldest I was in the field was on a 55 degree day, and wet boots.

I have a pair of Matterhorn's that I use for hiking. Very comfortable. Danner's would be my second choice. They both have a Gore-Tex liner that keeps your feet dry.

Artigas

Familiar Face
I'm obviously wrong, considering y'all's experience, but I was under the impression, supported by my own (very limited) experience, that leather, at least standard leather (not suede-out) is pretty good at keeping your feet dry. Does it just take a longer period of time in the water to get them soaked? All I've ever done was creeks and stream crossings, but they seemed to work, for me. [huh]

ETA: What is happening to my spelling? I am making typos all over the place!

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Artigas said:
I'm obviously wrong, considering y'all's experience, but I was under the impression, supported by my own (very limited) experience, that leather, at least standard leather (not suede-out) is pretty good at keeping your feet dry. Does it just teak a longer period of time in the water to get them soaked? All I've ever done was creeks and stream crossings, but they seemed to work, for me. [huh]

Horses for courses, and all that. I wore my cadillacs (military quick-lace boots) for a month out in the field in the Philippines and was just fine. They tend to get soaked, true, but that's what the gore-tex socks are for. I dislike padding on the inside of boots--it feels like I'm stuffing my foot into a pillow--and the nylon sides of jungle boots, etc. wouldn't mold to accommodate my rather protuberant ankle bones. My only beef with military boots is that they're heavy and as the saying goes, a pound on your foot is like five on your back.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
My steel-toed Carolina logger boots are actually lighter than my cadillacs.

Incidentally, issued boots aren't necessarily of inferior quality. The first pair of cadillacs I had lasted through five soles.

DerMann

Practically Family
As far as waterproofness goes, my corcorans were enjoyable to wear in wet weather. Standing in puddles or mud (paintballing and airsofting) did not phase me at all. Even when I walked through a pond (very shallow, less than knee deep), only my trousers got wet - my feet were completely dry. Now I wear puttees with my jump boots, and I imagine that their ability to keep my feed dry is increased even more (the support is nice, too).

Maybe I'm doing something right on accident [huh]

Also, leather lets feet breath - something that most synthetics cannot do.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Artigas said:
I'm obviously wrong, considering y'all's experience, but I was under the impression, supported by my own (very limited) experience, that leather, at least standard leather (not suede-out) is pretty good at keeping your feet dry. Does it just take a longer period of time in the water to get them soaked? All I've ever done was creeks and stream crossings, but they seemed to work, for me. [huh]

ETA: What is happening to my spelling? I am making typos all over the place!

The smooth leather "issue" boots, are just fine in garrison, crossing a few mud puddles, or a stream and you're fine, but all day in wet grass, or mud and the water starts to soak in. Under "field" conditions you'll wish you had waterproof boots. Someone mentioned Gore-Tex socks. They work, but I find they made my feet sweat. Boots with the Gore-Tex liner don't.

WH1

Practically Family
Reality is no matter the boot you wear invest in many, many extremely good quality cushion sole socks, a large bottle of footpowder and some moleskin. Dry your feet, powder them frequently and change socks every chance you get and your self propelled system will never fail you.
Footcare is one of the most important things in the grunt's skill sets and frequently it is not properly taught to the novice. We factor a long break to change socks at least once in every long hump and I require my corpsmen and small unit leaders to inspect their Marines feet after every hump, it instills some of the basics of foot care.

donCarlos

Practically Family
This may be a little offtopic to your discusion about Corcoran boots, but I have to show off a bit :)

I have one pair of these czech/czechoslovakian army boots for terrain use. They are terribly cheap (usually under 50 dollars) and satisfactory quality (I have them three years and they are still ok). The sole is sewn on, plus it´s screwed to the rest of the shoe by 3 screws, they are quite waterproof (when impregnated correctly) There is no better choice here for that price.

n1035.JPG

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Uh, oh. We're getting into the "modern materials are better than older materials" debate again. Stay focused! This is a forum about vintage style.

This just ain't my idea of classic style.
boots-X-4orce.jpg

Of course modern materials have great advantages, but that's not the point here. As was noted in many threads in the past, explorers, mountaineers, soldiers, hunters, and thousands of other professions wore leather boots under all kinds of conditions right up until the 70s or 80s. Leather boots require more care, frequent re-treatment, and more of a break-in period, and they can be heavier, but if for a more traditional look and style, while still being perfectly functional, leather boots are the way to go.

The other option is traditionally styled, contemporary boots, such as the LL Bean Kangaroo Upland Hunter. They're new-stalgic in that they reflect traditional styling while incorporating modern features, like gore-tex, or thinsulate.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mojave — yup, it often goes this way when old and new collide!

People tend to get quite irate about the old/new functionality question. There's often an implication that using vintage gear in the field adds an unacceptable element of risk.

I suppose the point is to think about what you're using your kit for, how long you'll be using it in any given period and whether you're comfortable using vintage or new.

I hike in boots with veldtschoen construction (I've a pair each of the bottom two pairs here), which makes for a good, waterproof field boot. They take some wearing in. After six months of occasional heavy use, the commando sole on the non-leather sole version is taking quite a beating, while the leather upper is starting to show signs of breaking in.

No signs of trench foot yet.

Edit: Apologies for going off-topic...

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I have a pair of " Desi's " British desert army boots which I wear sometimes to work. I get alot of compliments on them because they look cool. They are OK but are definately expendable in nature. The sole is thin and the lugs are not too pronounced. They are DMS so they can't be re-soled but the price was right Sportsman Guide had them for 20-30 dollars new. They are all gone I wished I could have ordered more. The thing I read somewhere about ALTMA boots are they are made in China. Of course I read that after I bought a pair of their Jungle Boots. Nothing wrong with Chinese made things at all but it seems kind of sacrilegious. I would buy Chinese army boots made in China but US Jungle boots ?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
Mojave — yup, it often goes this way when old and new collide!

People tend to get quite irate about the old/new functionality question. There's often an implication that using vintage gear in the field adds an unacceptable element of risk.

I suppose the point is to think about what you're using your kit for, how long you'll be using it in any given period and whether you're comfortable using vintage or new.
Yes, and I am guilty of forgetting where I am from time to time, as well, and lean towards more modern gear for it's functionality vs. its classic styling. It's a bit like going to a classic auto show and advising people to put airbags in their '32 Chevy, though. :eusa_doh: Of course, DnSchlng did title the thread Modern Military Boots, so I should not be too critical of the responses towards the modern! ;)

You're absolutely right, however; you have to balance function and style in the reality of your situation. It can be a question of increasing the challenge level, like the folks that want to summit Everest using the same gear as Hillary. I wouldn't ever try that; if my life depended on my gear, I want the best. (not to imply I could ever summit Everest, mind you! For me the attempt would probably be classified as idiotic, at best, a suicide attempt, at worst!) If that means synthetic, etc, then fine. But for most applications, I prefer the traditional over the modern. I think that's why we're all here!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I can only recommend Corcoran boots.
Here are my 10+ year old pair. They have been through thick and thin, mud, water, heat and even fire. They still hold up.
L1010114.jpg

I think that the concerns for leather boots is correct, but if the leather has been treated with some of the various dressings available it will improve the comfort and weatherproop abilities to a much better grade. Of course suede out doesn't lend it self to most dressings.

My personal favorite are Danners I had a pair of the Ft. Lewis boots and they were comfortable and gave great support. Inside the use of modern materials and construction technique made it nearly a boot within a boot.

My feet continue to grow and so those became too small and the next pair I got, from a company name Bellevue have also become too small. The Bellevue boots were like walking in pillows, they are so comfortable.

Right now I only have a pair of Altama Desert boots that fit me and they are ok for a day but can't touch the others for support and comfort.

celtic

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
My feet continue to grow and so those became too small and the next pair I got, from a company name Bellevue have also become too small. The Bellevue boots were like walking in pillows, they are so comfortable.

are you referring to Belleville?
http://belleville-boots.com/

RIOT

Practically Family
I wore Danners, Acadia 8" or Fort Lewis 10". Though I haven't in a while since I've moved to Merrell Sawtooths and Asolo FSN 95'.

Oakley SI' are comfortable, but not as traction friendly on rough surfaces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters