Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern perfumes that work with vintage

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Hello, ladies. I searched the forums and didn't find a thread about this. I was thinking of posting in the vintage perfumes thread, but didn't think it quite fit.

Anyway, I wanted to see what modern perfumes you wear that work with the vintage look. So many new scents nowadays smell like alcohol-y candy that most of the scents I like are made by smaller companies, and they're hard to find.

One I found is Lulu Beauty. Here's the description for one of her scents called Dame - "a sultry and evocative union of velvety gardenias, night blooming jasmine, and a full lush blend of smoky and sweet vanillas." Yum!

I also wanted to ask what you ladies think of, or if you've tried Body Chemistri or the new Gorilla perfumes by Lush.

I've contacted the ladies at Body Chemistri about sample sizes, but I haven't heard back. And what with the shipping costs from the UK, I thought to get your opinions first before dropping lots of money on a bunch of samples. Reading the Gorilla perfume descriptions makes me want samples of all of them.

Thanks for reading, ladies. :)
~jillybeanlynn

Miss sofia

One Too Many
The Stella McCartney ones are nice as they smell of roses, the latest one, i think it's called Nude smells of Lily of the valley and Rose, and i was very impressed when i had a squirt in the chemists the other day. Lovely vintage scent. I love lily of the valley and you don't smell it that often anymore in modern perfumes.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I tend to avoid new perfumes, it seems that I'm allergic to almost everything that has come out since the mid 90s

here is one of the many threads on perfume, this one is more vintage but you can get a lot of the same perfumes still. maybe the other threads have something more along the lines of what you're looking for

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4260&highlight=perfume

and another

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13454&highlight=perfume

and aftershave, which I am about to read

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7337&highlight=perfume

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Coco Mademoiselle, and Chanel Chance are my faves. Plus the old faithful 4711, though that really IS vintage. :D

Smuterella

One Too Many
Chanel Chance is lovely. Personally though I like strong smells - Dior Addict being a current favourite.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really get why any perfume would not work with whatever you might happen to be wearing! I wear perfumes I like and which suit me, I don't mind how 'old' they are! My current one is Paul Smith Rose which only came out a couple of years ago.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really get why any perfume would not work with whatever you might happen to be wearing! I wear perfumes I like and which suit me, I don't mind how 'old' they are! My current one is Paul Smith Rose which only came out a couple of years ago.

I agree - one of my favourite perfumes is L'eau d'Issey and I will wear it regardless of what clothes I am wearing. Aside from that though, I tend to like soft florals so I guess they smell quite old-fashioned.

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
I agree Fleur, I wouldn't wear something unless I really liked the scent old or not, I think its a question of preference, its quite hard to wear a scent unless you really love it.

I suppose there are some scents like rosewater and lilly of the valley that have a nostalgic smell and were more popular in times past. I got a gift of Stella McCartney Sheer which is quite floral and not something I would choose ordinarily but its nice to chop and change depending on your mood. I usually tend to veer towards light citrusy scents.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:

Word. My perfume is new. I also like Bath & Body Works sprays. I actually can't stand some of the "old" scents. :eek:

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Fleur De Guerre said:

I do agree that people obviously should wear whatever scent they like and which suits their body chemistry.

I guess I worded the post awkwardly - what I meant was to find out what newly created [mass-marketed as well as smaller companies] scents people here liked that had a vintage-y tone to them, not because it would have to smell that way to match their outfits, but because those are the scents I tend to be interested in. And I thought some ladies here may have some insight into that topic.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Thank you for the recommendations, of threads and perfumes. I'm excited to try on Dior Addict and the Stella McCartney Nude - hopefully they won't turn strange smells on my skin.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
jillybeanlynn said:
I guess I worded the post awkwardly - what I meant was to find out what newly created [mass-marketed as well as smaller companies] scents people here liked that had a vintage-y tone to them

What makes a scent "vintage-y"?

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Here's a pretty good distinction from Wikipedia regarding trad vs modern perfumes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume

Traditional

The traditional classification which emerged around 1900 comprised the following categories:

* Single Floral: Fragrances that are dominated by a scent from one particular flower; in French called a soliflore. (e.g. Serge Lutens' Sa Majeste La Rose, which is dominated by rose.)
* Floral Bouquet: Is a combination of fragrance of several flowers in a perfume compound e.g. Attar Majmua & Fancy Boquet etc.
* Ambered, or "Oriental": A large fragrance class featuring the sweet slightly animalic scents of ambergris or labdanum, often combined with vanilla, tonka bean, flowers and woods. Can be enhanced by camphorous oils and incense resins, which bring to mind Victorian era imagery of the Middle East and Far East.
* Wood: Fragrances that are dominated by woody scents, typically of agarwood, sandalwood and cedarwood. Patchouli, with its camphoraceous smell, is commonly found in these perfumes. A traditional example here would be Myrurgia's Maderas De Oriente or Chanel Bois-des-Îles. A modern example would be Balenciaga Rumba.
* Leather: A family of fragrances which features the scents of honey, tobacco, wood and wood tars in its middle or base notes and a scent that alludes to leather.
* Chypre: Meaning Cyprus in French, this includes fragrances built on a similar accord consisting of bergamot, oakmoss, patchouli, and labdanum. This family of fragrances is named after a perfume by François Coty.
* Fougère: Meaning Fern in French, built on a base of lavender, onion, coumarin and oakmoss. Houbigant's Fougère Royale pioneered the use of this base. Many men's fragrances belong to this family of fragrances, which is notcharacterized by its sharp herbaceous and woody scent. Some well-known modern fougères are Fabergé Brut and Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir.

Modern

Since 1945, due to great advances in the technology of perfume creation (i.e., compound design and synthesis) as well as the natural development of styles and tastes; new categories have emerged to describe modern scents:

* Bright Floral: combining the traditional Single Floral & Floral Bouquet categories. A good example would be Estée Lauder's Beautiful.
* Green: a lighter and more modern interpretation of the Chypre type, with pronounced cut grass, crushed green leaf and cucumber-like scents. Two examples would be Estée Lauder's Aliage or Sisley's Eau de Campagne.
* Aquatic, Oceanic, or Ozonic: the newest category in perfume history, appearing in 1991 with Christian Dior's Dune. A very clean, modern smell leading to many of the modern androgynous perfumes. Generally contains calone, a synthetic scent discovered in 1966. Also used to accent floral, oriental, and woody fragrances.
* Citrus: An old fragrance family that until recently consisted mainly of "freshening" eau de colognes, due to the low tenacity of citrus scents. Development of newer fragrance compounds has allowed for the creation of primarily citrus fragrances. A good example here would be Hermès's Eau D'orange Verte.
* Fruity: featuring the aromas of fruits other than citrus, such as peach, cassis (black currant), mango, passion fruit, and others. A modern example here would be Ginestet Botrytis.
* Gourmand: scents with "edible" or "dessert"-like qualities. These often contain notes like vanilla, tonka bean and coumarin, as well as synthetic components designed to resemble food flavors. A sweet example is Thierry Mugler's Angel. A savory example would be Dinner by BoBo, which has cumin and curry hints.

ps. jillybeanlynn - you should try https://www.luckyscent.com/ they have a great range of samples you can purchase.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:

Believe it or not, a lot of people have opinions on what scent is appropriate to wear with what, and what time of year, etc. There is the idea that a strong feminine scent goes well with a ball gown, but not your softball uniform. Would you wear a sporty scent with 30's chiffon? An 80's power scent on the hottest day of the year? Something "aquatic" and "beachy" at Christmas? Your most seductive scent to a funeral? I guess the idea is, what is appropriate?

I happen to enjoy a lot of vintage scents, so I wear them with vintage or not depending on my mood. I do wear modern scents too, sometimes with vintage. I do break the "rules" though.

Some old bottles start to smell "off", but I have new bottles of old scents and although they are old formulas I don't think they smell old or bad. "Modern" scents started in 1945, so many of them are now vintage.

I have become somewhat selective about new fragrances though. I just don't get excited about Harajuku Lovers or Pink Sugar. Stella McCartney Rose is safe, but I prefer Bvlgari Rose Essentielle. I don't like the new Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere, I prefer the original. I bought a bottle of the new Shalimar Light too, it is okay, but still not as good as regular Shalimar.

I guess my favorite new scent to wear with vintage is Lipstick Rose. It is considered a nostalgic scent with violet and rose. It smells like a vintage lipstick, it is super feminine, yet it is a modern scent.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
Believe it or not, a lot of people have opinions on what scent is appropriate to wear with what, and what time of year, etc. There is the idea that a strong feminine scent goes well with a ball gown, but not your softball uniform. Would you wear a sporty scent with 30's chiffon?

I agree with this - certain fragrances for me are for Spring/Summer and others Autumn and Winter or even Day/Night. I can't wear heavy fragrance during the day so tend to go for something like Acqua Di Parma Iris Nobile (also nice for a Summer evening) and for Winter I love Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir or Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb - both of which for me are a bit too heavy for finer weather or even daytime wear.....

crwritt

One Too Many
I don't mind sniffing perfume from the bottle, but I mostly won't wear it because
personally I can't stand smelling anyone else walking by me who is wearing perfume, let alone be in the same room or elevator with them.
The most I will put on myself is a little rosewater.
Does anyone else feel this way?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
Believe it or not, a lot of people have opinions on what scent is appropriate to wear with what, and what time of year, etc.

I agree with the time of year! I have one perfume oil that just smells like winter. I tried to put it on a few weeks ago and I just couldn't!

Veronica

New in Town
Puzzicato said:
I agree with the time of year! I have one perfume oil that just smells like winter. I tried to put it on a few weeks ago and I just couldn't!

So do I !
I always have two perfumes : a light/floral/aqua one for spring and summer ( Now it is L'Eau by Kenzo) and a classical stronger one for Autumn and winter ( Coco Mademoiselle ).
My perfume ritual is to only spray once, only my hair, from the higher possible (= top of my arm).
The perfume etiquette I know is that one's perfume should only be smelled when being kissed (French friends usually kiss cheeks to say Hi), not more.

Gogo

New in Town
I also wear Coco Mademoiselle, I think it's lovely, classical but still contemporary. I have reservations about wearing fragrances that were formulated a long time ago - call me superficial but I don't want to smell like an old lady!

Scent is such a visceral, emotional thing - I spent months searching for exactly the right fragrance, and I love Coco Mademoiselle. I'm afraid I am a two-squirts girl - trying to wean myself down to one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR