Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern perfumes that work with vintage

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I suppose I can see that perfumes used to be more sort of floral etc. but I just wear what I like regardless of what's in it.

My favourite is Paco Rabanne Ultra Violet but I recently sampled some of the Boots Sanctuary perfumes which are mainly floral and they're lovely - especially the Wild Rose & Violet.

I think what works for one person may not work for another. Some perfumes that my friends love just give me a splitting headache or just don't smell right on my skin.

Each to her own I guess!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Oh, and I meant to ask....

I'm a terrible over-sprayer. For those of you who are one spray, or even two spray, girls, where do you spray for optimum effect?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
RodeoRose said:
I have a sort of strange question that may or may not belong in this thread, but do perfumes damage vintage clothing? Like, I usually dab a little rose oil onto my collar. Do you think the perfumes or scent oils we use could possibly decay or damage the fabrics and threads of our vintage pieces?

I have the impression that perfumes are quite damaging to some natural fibres - silk and cashmere particularly. I don't wear perfume on my neck when I am wearing those fibres or my pearls.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Your right, i have seen the damage hairspray and scent have done to pearls and delicate fabrics, ouch, luckily not mine, so i'm always careful and spray behind my ears, usually when i'm not dressed, or gingerly if i am!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
AdrianLvsRocky said:
Oh, and I meant to ask....

I'm a terrible over-sprayer. For those of you who are one spray, or even two spray, girls, where do you spray for optimum effect?

I usually do one spray on my neck and one on each wrist - apparently you aren't supposed to rub your wrists together as it ruins the scent. Behind the knees is a good spot too apparently - on the odd occasion I'll do that if I'm heading out for the evening....

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That's a good tip, i'd forgotten behind the knees and i always rub my wrists together, i can't help it! Must try harder. I have seen those perfume ladies in department stores quite often giving me dirty looks when i do that! (wince)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I look at the advice to "spray where you want to be kissed" and to "spray behind the knees" and wonder what sort of stuff these gals were into!

On days when I am not wearing silk or cashmere (I have a serious cashmere habit, so in winter those don't happen a lot) I spray once into the air in front of me and walk through the mist.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
The way I heard it was to spray on your pulse points because the heat from your body temperature would heighten the scent and spray on your knees because the scent would travel up the the nose from there... not sure how realistic any of that is...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My Sin - 1924

I find this discussion FASKINATIN'. The olfactory sense is by far the oldest in the nervous system, and it regisers in a different part of the brain from other senses, very close to the emotional centers. That's why the most subtle aroma or scent can prduce such a huge emotional impact. And that's also why smells can trigger vivid memories like no other sensation. All the little one celled creatures have basically one sense, that's smell/taste.
Generally I don't know one scent from another, but I do know that certain perfumes can send me totally through the ceiling (in a good way). Clinique is one of them. Woohoo.
Anyway, the band I was listening to last night, (or was it Friday night?) played an old song called "My Sin". It made me wonder whether the old perfume My Sin was named for the song, or what. Didn't get to the bottom of that one, but found this interesting review of My Sin perfume.
http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/06/08/lanvin-my-sin-fragrance-review/

zombi

A-List Customer
I wear only perfume oils from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab pretty much, and of course all of those are modern -- in that the formulation isn't old or anything [huh] Some of my favourites are Zombi (ha. it's rose and herbs and freshly turned earth smelling), Intrigue (Black palm, with cocoa, fig and woods) and Mme Moriarty (Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum).

But I do associate scent very strongly with things. I have certain ones I wear according to season, or emotion, or activity. I wear completely different perfume if I'm dressing up than I do if I'm, I don't know, hanging around my house.

As far as spraying goes -- since I use oils, I just dab it behind the ears, on the wrist, or in the hollow at the throat. I don't usually get it on my clothes, especially since some of the oils are dark in colour and could stain fabrics, I suppose.

RosebudMarie

New in Town
My favorite scent is White Shoulders - you can find it at walmart, but Vermont Country Store has the more original eu de cologne. OOH! I also just noticed they have powder too!

I'm a big fan of florals, especially rose, lilac, etc but I'm rather picky. My husband loves when I wear perfume, especially around my neck.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Has anyone tried the Tom Ford, Black Orchid? he has just brought out a solid version of that perfume and loads of great looking lippies and nailvarnishes, but with rather hefty pricetags unfortunately. :mad:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a signature scent, although I used to wear a lot of lavender and my husband associates that scent with me. I pretty much wear a combo of whatever I find and feel like buying, whatever is on sale, or whatever I've received as a gift. lol Right now I'm swapping between several Bath & Body Works body sprays, a Bath & Body Works aromatherapy perfume (jasmine vanilla, I think? Kind of a spicy floral), and some Burberry something or other. I know I have like 14 other bottles of perfume under my cabinet, but I couldn't tell you what half of them are. lol

When I want a truly "vintage" scent, like if I'm going out to a 1940s event, I have a few bottles to choose from - Tabu, an old bottle of Coty L'Origan, Emeraude, and Je Reviens. All of those are golden era fragrances. Emeraude and Tabu are usually sold at Walgreen's - small bottles run on sale for around $5. I have a tendency to be an oversprayer, but man, Tabu is STRONG. Gotta take it easy with that one!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Miss sofia said:
Has anyone tried the Tom Ford, Black Orchid? he has just brought out a solid version of that perfume and loads of great looking lippies and nailvarnishes, but with rather hefty pricetags unfortunately. :mad:

I think it is a great scent, complex & heady, dark & sultry, it screams glamour.
If you like heavy, woody (fl)orientals (especially those who are supposed to be worn by men) you will most likely love this.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think i will like it very much, (better get saving up) mind you i love his style anyway, chaps a genius, so i imagined it would be a wonderful scent. I like the idea of a solid perfume you can pop in your handbag too. The compact looks delicious too! Thanks for the info x

lareine

A-List Customer
Miss sofia said:
Has anyone tried the Tom Ford, Black Orchid? he has just brought out a solid version of that perfume and loads of great looking lippies and nailvarnishes, but with rather hefty pricetags unfortunately.
Tom Ford has a terrible (and deserved, I believe) reputation for being sexist in a very nasty way. His ad campaigns certainly bear that out. I would not buy anything with his name on it for that reason alone.

lareine

A-List Customer
fortworthgal said:
When I want a truly "vintage" scent, like if I'm going out to a 1940s event, I have a few bottles to choose from - Tabu, an old bottle of Coty L'Origan, Emeraude, and Je Reviens. All of those are golden era fragrances. Emeraude and Tabu are usually sold at Walgreen's - small bottles run on sale for around $5. I have a tendency to be an oversprayer, but man, Tabu is STRONG. Gotta take it easy with that one!
I have all those except l'Origan. Tabu is one of my favourites for winter, and Je Reviens is perfect for hot summer days when I want something refreshing. Either that or the all-time classic cologne, 4711 :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot