Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Stetson Open Road

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Considering the fact that a vast majority of western hats have thin ribbons, especially from big brands like Stetson, Resistol, or Bailey, I wouldn't put it past it to be something of a western accessory now. It doesn't have to be strictly western, of course. Humphrey Bogart in that one photograph pulled off the thin ribbon without looking like a cowboy (not that it's a bad thing of course). I found it, here it is:

humphrey-bogart-fedora.jpg

6. Humphrey Bogart

Little known fact; Humphrey had a faux-hawk.

Now that's something I didn't know, is this true? That's what the website where I found the image from says about Bogart.

Thin Ribbons are COUNTRY hats which has nothing to do with cowboys. Open Roads are far from cowboy hats, Have never seen one at a roping or cutting except maybe the stock contractor. I agree with OR as a western dress hat.
No problem. I think I'll find myself getting back to that at some point soon. I like to do minor brim adjustments for a little variety.

Anyway, I was also wondering if you folks consider the modern Open Road a cowboy hat? I think Gtdean (spelling?) does, or did in another thread almost a year ago, but could this be something that'll be right at home, at say, a rodeo or other western function? Not that I really have one to go to any time soon, but Shepler's, the website I got this ordered from, considered it a "Cowboy Hat" in the product description. I know it's of western styling, but I'm trying to get the semantics correct for this thing. Or, is the modern Open Road still a fedora?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Western dress hat it is for sure, then. Despite the product label, I doubt this is something all that many actual working cowboys would wear out on the trail doing the job, but I suppose there could have been a few that did or do. I remember reading a post a while back from a Lounger that described a working ranch hand back in the 1960s or '70s wearing an Open Road as it suit him better than a wider brim. I also agree with your thoughts on the Open Road as a country hat. It seems that for many, the term country is automatically tied with the cattleman's profession for some reason, although semantically speaking you are correct.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
No problem. I think I'll find myself getting back to that at some point soon. I like to do minor brim adjustments for a little variety.

Anyway, I was also wondering if you folks consider the modern Open Road a cowboy hat? I think Gtdean (spelling?) does, or did in another thread almost a year ago, but could this be something that'll be right at home, at say, a rodeo or other western function? Not that I really have one to go to any time soon, but Shepler's, the website I got this ordered from, considered it a "Cowboy Hat" in the product description. I know it's of western styling, but I'm trying to get the semantics correct for this thing. Or, is the modern Open Road still a fedora?

Having grown up down here in Texas, over here in Tarrant county, I remember seeing ORs ( I still want to call 'em LBJs :) ), on the heads of all the bankers and lawyers downtown in Ft. Worth, with polished western boots on their feet and pinstripe suits :) No body ever refered to 'em as a "Cowboy" hat, but they WERE NOT considered a Fedora for sure !! Now days, seems EVERYTHING Western is called "Cowboy" which is really marketing hype :) An OR ( or LBJ) is a WESTERN style of hat :)

4spurs

One of the Regulars
You gotta have at least a 3" brim to have it considered "cowboy," ribbon width probably not more than 1" and practically any sort of crease or no crease at all will do. The brim can curl up in front on the sides, lay flat, or turn down front and back; I've see working cowboys wearing hats in all configurations; pencil curls too.

fmw

One Too Many
I went to town today, actually, and wore my Open Road. I haven't been to town for several weeks. The salesman at the men's store said "nice Stetson." At least he knew the difference. Don't worry, though. My first city hat is arriving next week - a black Dobbs fedora. I hope I'm comfortable wearing it.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went to town today, actually, and wore my Open Road. I haven't been to town for several weeks. The salesman at the men's store said "nice Stetson." At least he knew the difference. Don't worry, though. My first city hat is arriving next week - a black Dobbs fedora. I hope I'm comfortable wearing it.

I think we're just now getting to the point in tine, after decades, where the old images of fedoras including the OR have dissipated in the minds of people, leaving room for a new look at them. In other words fedora type or non-cowboy Western hats have been gone so long, in favor of ballcaps, that everyone forgot about them and can now rediscover them. What I like is that they have authenticity, and besides that, I didn't understand until as an adult in my 50s how good you can look with the right hat on. That point had always eluded me, as a teenager and younger person in the hatless era.

fmw

One Too Many
I doubt it has much to do with looking good or not. It is probably just curiosity. I always have people staring at my hats. I see nothing but caps everywhere. It is unusual to see a man wearing a felt hat with a brim on in and nothing written the front of it.

frussell

One Too Many
I broke down and got a modern OR, mostly just to see if my impressions of the new ones were correct. I am pleasantly surprised at the felt quality. Loads better than Stetson's other "western" 4X modern hats, seems to have had much more finishing or pouncing. Stiff as hell, round as hell, but nothing a stretcher and some head time won't cure. I would like a little taller crown, but they got the brim right at least. A good hat at a pretty fair price from Delmonico Hatters, with super quick shipping. Should keep me busy until my "Open Door" in Silverbelly from Miller Hats arrives in a week or two. Excuse the red eyes and grumpy face, it's been a long couple of days. Frank
Brim up:
P1040047.jpg
[/IMG]
brim down:
P1040051.jpg
[/IMG]

fmw

One Too Many
Brim snapped down is best for you, I think. Congratulations. It's a fine hat. I sure like mine.

frussell

One Too Many
I've got a vintage OR 25 that's in a simple center-dent fedora crease, but I wanted to give the old-school cattleman a try, as that's what I grew up seeing in Texas. I like the brim down as well, but it's tempting to give the 1960s Dallas PD brim-up look a whirl. Unfortunately, at my size, I'm more likely to look like Jackie Gleason chasing Smokey the Bandit than anything else. I'm still waiting to come across a pristine 7 3/4 vintage OR, but this will do for now. Frank

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I broke down and got a modern OR, mostly just to see if my impressions of the new ones were correct. I am pleasantly surprised at the felt quality. Loads better than Stetson's other "western" 4X modern hats, seems to have had much more finishing or pouncing. Stiff as hell, round as hell, but nothing a stretcher and some head time won't cure. I would like a little taller crown, but they got the brim right at least. A good hat at a pretty fair price from Delmonico Hatters, with super quick shipping. Should keep me busy until my "Open Door" in Silverbelly from Miller Hats arrives in a week or two. Excuse the red eyes and grumpy face, it's been a long couple of days. Frank
Brim up:
P1040047.jpg
[/IMG]
brim down:
P1040051.jpg
[/IMG]

Frank,
It looks good on ya !! Keep the front snapped down as it looks best and they do not allow beards or 'staches at the DPD or DPS down here !! :) If you wear it DPD style (or LBJ depending on your perspective) you'd need to wear a skinny lapel suit or tan/grey pants and shirts if you were going for the DPS look:)
Onward thru the fog :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW