Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monocles.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I thought I'd add a couple more reactions to the monocle.

I've been wearing my pince nez more than my monocle lately. I'm taking an Italian class this year, and I finally got tired of taking off my eyeglasses every time I had to look up at the board, so I started wearing my monocle. The teacher came to me after class and told me how much he liked it.

Also, the head of my department was asking me about it after the first time he saw me wear it (how long I'd had it, where I got it, etc). Apparently I'm ready to be a proffesor lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wish professors at Berkeley favored monocles.

When I got into this racket (i.e. Classics/ancient history) I assumed that the professors and grad students would favor old suits, wing tip shoes, bow ties, T.S. Eliot haircuts, antique cufflinks, a monocle or pince-nez, and so on. Like in The Secret History by Donna Tartt. In fact, that was one of the reasons why I learned Greek and Latin, and why I got into this racket at all, so's I'd have an EXCUSE to wear such things, a societal sanction, as it were. Alas, not the case, at least at Berkeley. The professors are mostly baby boomers who believe that one's political orthodoxy is proved by the more horrible one dresses. Ragged pants-cuffs. Never a tie in sight except on me. Hideous shoes.

You are a lucky man if your professors appreciate that sort of thing. At Berkeley, wearing a suit instantly makes you suspect of being a "Fascist" (i.e. a conservative -- the professors and students see no difference between these terms, and hate both equally).

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Wow, hardly accepting, are they? Sounds like they need to break out of the mold and not follow the majority.

I just found out that the NHS won't pay for monocles. I found an article about Sir George Godber, one of my favorite parts:

"He and Nye were discussing eye tests and dad questioned why people could have free glasses but he couldn't have a free monocle."

When Nye gave a non-committal reply, Sir George promptly fished out his glass eye and announced: "But you gave me this on the NHS."
http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/bed-news/100yearold-who-helped-found-the.4373535.jp

I don't usually wear mine for very long periods, but the other day I wore it for 4 hours without the cord and without adjusting it once, and in those four hours I took two bus trips and did a good deal of walking, and when I did finally take it out it was still firmly wedged in. I don't wear it all the time, but I'm geting to the point of not being worried about it popping.

anon`

One Too Many
Doran said:
I wish professors at Berkeley favored monocles.

When I got into this racket (i.e. Classics/ancient history) I assumed that the professors and grad students would favor old suits, wing tip shoes, bow ties, T.S. Eliot haircuts, antique cufflinks, a monocle or pince-nez, and so on. Like in The Secret History by Donna Tartt. In fact, that was one of the reasons why I learned Greek and Latin, and why I got into this racket at all, so's I'd have an EXCUSE to wear such things, a societal sanction, as it were. Alas, not the case, at least at Berkeley. The professors are mostly baby boomers who believe that one's political orthodoxy is proved by the more horrible one dresses. Ragged pants-cuffs. Never a tie in sight except on me. Hideous shoes.

You are a lucky man if your professors appreciate that sort of thing. At Berkeley, wearing a suit instantly makes you suspect of being a "Fascist" (i.e. a conservative -- the professors and students see no difference between these terms, and hate both equally).
Yeeeeeeah. I think you confused Berkeley with Cambridge ;)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up a lens for a new monocle and finished grooving the edge with an emry board. Have to wear it around the house for a while to get used to it so it doesn't pop while I'm wearing it.

I go to my University opticians, and apparently they get one or two requests a year for monocles. The optometrist liked it, she said it was nice to see something different.

Otium

New in Town
Ordering Experiences

Okay, been reading the posts with some interest. I'm in the less common situation where one eye is noticeably worse than the other (one needs correction the other does not) and a monocle would be fairly useful when stuck in front of the computer monitor so I'm will to give it a shot.

Has anyone ordered newer monocles from the likes of eyeglass.com or simply had plain glass monocles made at an optometrist? I have no problem spending the money, but I do want to make sure I get what works. I mean, how adjustable are the new monocles? I just want to make sure what I buy can be adjusted to fit properly and if the new stuff works as well as the vintage.

Any feedback or comments are welcome.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Otium said:
Okay, been reading the posts with some interest. I'm in the less common situation where one eye is noticeably worse than the other (one needs correction the other does not) and a monocle would be fairly useful when stuck in front of the computer monitor so I'm will to give it a shot.

Has anyone ordered newer monocles from the likes of eyeglass.com or simply had plain glass monocles made at an optometrist? I have no problem spending the money, but I do want to make sure I get what works. I mean, how adjustable are the new monocles? I just want to make sure what I buy can be adjusted to fit properly and if the new stuff works as well as the vintage.

Any feedback or comments are welcome.

To answer the second part first, you can get a single lense and make your own rimless monocle (is that what you mean by plain glass?). I did that just last month, I'll get some pictures of it and the grooves needed around the edge.

If you want a galleried monocle which you can adjust, the thing to watch out for in modern monocles is base metals which can't be adjusted with the same ease as the old ones. If in doubt, a jeweler should be able to make any adjustments.

Cheers,
Nick

Otium

New in Town
Nick D said:
To answer the second part first, you can get a single lense and make your own rimless monocle (is that what you mean by plain glass?). I did that just last month, I'll get some pictures of it and the grooves needed around the edge.

If you want a galleried monocle which you can adjust, the thing to watch out for in modern monocles is base metals which can't be adjusted with the same ease as the old ones. If in doubt, a jeweler should be able to make any adjustments.

Cheers,
Nick

Yes, I was referring to a rimless monocle when I said just glass.

I'm assuming that I can follow advice I read earlier here to use cardboard cutouts to measure the right size then take in my prescription to an optometrists to make a perfect circle that exact size, correct? For adding grooves later to help hold the lense in place I will look for your next post Nick to see what you did. I'm expecting I'll probably end up having a galleried monocle made by a jeweler if I like it. If it solves my problem it would be worth every penny.

That is why I love this place. All sorts of hard to find knowledge.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick D said:
I thought I'd add a couple more reactions to the monocle.

I've been wearing my pince nez more than my monocle lately. I'm taking an Italian class this year, and I finally got tired of taking off my eyeglasses every time I had to look up at the board, so I started wearing my monocle. The teacher came to me after class and told me how much he liked it.

Also, the head of my department was asking me about it after the first time he saw me wear it (how long I'd had it, where I got it, etc). Apparently I'm ready to be a proffesor lol

I have a pince-nez. It's antique. It is not really my style. I got it on ebay for a pittance. It does not stay on my nose and ... it's a bit too non-sturdy for me. It doesn't look good on me, either. I wonder if there are more sources for pinces-nez which feature styles and prices.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Here are some pictures of my new rimless monocle, as well as an antique one for comparison. Mine is not glass, it's actually plastic, partly to save weight. I don't have the ideal facial structure (high cheekbones) for this type of monocle, so a lighter one is preferable, and this one actually stays in quite well.

If you get one of these, make sure to specify the edge be unpolished.

Here's the two together. Mine is on the right, the antique on the left and drilled for a cord. I may get one with a cord hole, but I wanted one without (like Fritz Lang in my avatar).
DSC01686.jpg

I've tried to get pictures showing the grooves. I made them with a nail file, easy on plastic but much harder on glass. It may be worth having it done if you get a glass one. The file was held at an angle so the grooves slope back.

The edge, from the front.
DSC01709.jpg

From the back. Notice it's a bit like a ratchet, and the grooves cut into the back of the lense, but not the front.
DSC01713.jpg

The two again. The antique's grooves are closer together but also less regular. It's also only grooved on the top and bottom, since the cord more or less dictates the orientation of the lense.
DSC01715.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Nick

Alon

One of the Regulars
One of the great opera singers of the war generation, Richard Tauber. The monocle was his trademark:

richard%2Btauber%2Bdachshund.JPG

OGt-TauberTopper.jpg

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Check my avatar

Have to draw attention to my avatar.....one of the great monocle wearers of all time.....The Right Honorable Joseph Chamberlain.......leading British politician 1875-1905......Father of Neville and Austen (another monocle wearer) but just about the only respect in which he resembled his father.......I believe the monocle owes its origin to the horse in that it's the only eyeglass(es) you can wear on horseback without looking faintly silly.

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Alon said:
One of the great opera singers of the war generation, Richard Tauber. The monocle was his trademark:

richard%2Btauber%2Bdachshund.JPG

OGt-TauberTopper.jpg

..........Tauber is one of the five greatest male classical singers of the 20th Century......his voice like Pavarotti's (another one of the five) is instantly recognizable.......he specialized in Mozart, Operetta and Lieder......needless to say there's a blog (a good one) entirely devoted to him.

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Nick D said:
Here are some pictures of my new rimless monocle, as well as an antique one for comparison. Mine is not glass, it's actually plastic, partly to save weight. I don't have the ideal facial structure (high cheekbones) for this type of monocle, so a lighter one is preferable, and this one actually stays in quite well.

If you get one of these, make sure to specify the edge be unpolished.

Here's the two together. Mine is on the right, the antique on the left and drilled for a cord. I may get one with a cord hole, but I wanted one without (like Fritz Lang in my avatar).
DSC01686.jpg

I've tried to get pictures showing the grooves. I made them with a nail file, easy on plastic but much harder on glass. It may be worth having it done if you get a glass one. The file was held at an angle so the grooves slope back.

The edge, from the front.
DSC01709.jpg

From the back. Notice it's a bit like a ratchet, and the grooves cut into the back of the lense, but not the front.
DSC01713.jpg

The two again. The antique's grooves are closer together but also less regular. It's also only grooved on the top and bottom, since the cord more or less dictates the orientation of the lense.
DSC01715.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Nick

........A great wearer of rimless monocles and almost a contemporary of Lang's is General Hans von Seekt chief of the Reichswer in the twenties and thirties.......a lot of german generals in WW 2 were still wearing them including Manstein who was probably Hitler's best general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran