Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montecristi Panama Hats We ordered are on the way.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I heard that alot of the hats we have ordered from PanamaBob are in or on the way.

Great news for us Montecristi hat lovers. :cheers1: Root Beer
Regards,

Sharpey :cool2: :) :cool2:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I had to fire her

Canadave said:
And...???

Wore it to the office this afternoon. One of the clerks here said "you're the guy on my suntan lotion bottle."
Of course, had I thought fast, i would have said, "that's mighty big talk from the woman in the Maxwell House commercials."
I'm surprised at the weave. Much finer than anticipated. I'm going to do a little reshaping as it got smushed in transit a bit, and I'm on the hunt for a better ribbon.
I'm pleased with it!
I like the one you've been showing us, Dave. When I get another, finer weave hat, it goes straight to Art.
I'm pleased to have a hat like this.

Winkydink

Familiar Face
and????

it fits great wearing it right now. took it out into the back yard for a test run. suddenly all the squirrels started laughing and threw their nuts at me, so i had to make a dash inside.

how can i wear a panama hat in vermont?

w.

Winkydink

Familiar Face
hot

sometimes it gets real hot up here. mid 80's. each summer has one or two or three days when it is in the 90's. yeah i know in texas it gets so hot you can.... :cool2: :kick: :cool2:

w.

Well then, you have to tell those squirrels to got to some place hot. :p Wear the Panama on those days that are warm and even on those days that are just mildly warm.
I have worn my panamas out here at least a dozen time already. The cat takes care of the squirrels. ;)

Regards to all,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Attack That Rascal

Just finished ironing the brim flat on mine. Makes a huge difference. Cotton hanky between the iron and the brim, and steam setting.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Monticristi arrived

Mine showed up today (Tue May 10th).

Fabulous straw even on this low end hat. I see why monti's are prized.

The brim was a bit wavy from the packing. A hit with the iron betwen two kitchen towels took care of that.

I immediately abandoned the included hat band and put a peated navy band on it. Looks great.

A hint: I have already noticed that the brim flops up in the wind. Snapping it down all the way around seems to take care of that problem quite well.

I am completely satisfied with this hat for the money. It only needs an Art Fawcett block and a good quality sweatband to be a high dollar hat. Not bad for $46 with shipping.

My thanks to Panama Bob for giving us such a great deal.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yup

SHARPETOYS said:
I'm glad you liked your Montecristi Panama hat. Even the less costly ones are very nice aren't they!!

That's the surprising thing - people who admire this new Montecristi are amazed at how fine the weave is. I tell them, 'you should see the really nice ones! Like handkerchief linen.'

Yesterday was a new barb thrown at me - Atticus Finch. I guess there are worse things.

Canadave

One Too Many
gandydancer said:
...Fabulous straw even on this low end hat. I see why monti's are prized...I am completely satisfied with this hat for the money. It only needs an Art Fawcett block and a good quality sweatband to be a high dollar hat. Not bad for $46 with shipping.

My thanks to Panama Bob for giving us such a great deal.

I agree. I got mine yesterday and wore it to walk the dog today. Robert wasn't too happy with the block when he received it, and offered to pay for a reblock. Too generous... I told him to just send it to me...I'd work on it if need be. It's no "Art" block, and the sweat is inexpensive, but again...for the price I'm happy.

The included black elastic ribbon is too small for this 63cm hat, so Robert included some kind of adjustable, woven band. I've emailed him for info on this band, but he's on a school trip until tomorrow. It seems to be made of animal hair...reminds me of a cowboy motif. It's not bad, but I gotta find a nice ribbon.

Anyone else receive theirs yet who hasn't reported on it?

David

Canadave

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
We need pictures of that hat...

OK, here are some quick shots.

"Optimo Royale" block needs a bit more work...

panama.JPG

Here's the adjustable "ribbon"...Robert replied and said it is horsehair.

panamaside.JPG

A closer view...

panamaribbon.JPG

David

Richard

Familiar Face
horsehair

i think i like that better than the black ribbon look. Kind of friendlier, more adventure style. I tried the black ribbon look for a few days but decided I liked just a thin strand of woven leather from an old bolo tie better. But I think i'd prefer the horsehair to the black leather. to me, the silk ribbon just seems too dressy for my purposes. I want to looka bit rougher.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Sorry JP,

The powers that be have stated that I shan't post any more classifieds.

Also, one of our lovely members has put a chargeback against his credit card payment, not only causing consternation, but truly showing me what impatience and imprudence can do to a man...and, oh yeah, costing us about $20.00 in bank fees. A hearty thank you to you, and you know who you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda