Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More new arrivals...

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That NOS Mallory is beautiful. You don't really see any hats made like that now. Good find.

Edit: Oh, I just remembered, Andykev has an Almond Optimo that looks similar to that Mallory. Still an awesome find, though. I really wish my head were smaller so I could get these fine old hats like you can.

havershaw

Practically Family
Thanks, Zohar. That hat fits me better than almost any I own. Guess it helps to not have some else do the breaking in for you.

I added a few photos of the old 1930s Wells fargo hat rack I use in my house at the bottom of my photos page.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The NEW old stock Mallory is beautiful. I love that color, with the darker brown band. My Optimo Almond color is very similar. However, yours is definately vintage and mint at that. Splendid color, and the othere are soooo nice too. You are amassing a wonderful collection!!

And this is the EDIT: Opps I didn't read Zohar's post (skipped it to post this after looking at photos). You nailed it, and I repeated yourself!:p

havershaw

Practically Family
The band is a very unusual shade, a dark reddish-brown. I'll try to get some new shots of it later this week.

Speaking of new arrivals...my Knox Twenty arrived today, and it is the nicest felt I have ever touched, hands-down. It's very comparable to my lightweight Cavanagh (if indeed it is a Cavanagh) which I just sent to the shop for a ribbon replacement...but it's dark chocolate brown, and incredibly nice. Wow. I am sold on the Knox Twenty. Hope I can find a few more of those...

I also got a couple of hats that were not what I expected in terms of size, so it looks like I'll be letting a few of those go...basically for what I paid for them, which, mercifully, was not much. I will get some photos posted and put on the classifieds section by the end of the week.

The Knox Twenty. I feel the way Fedora feels about the Stetson Imperial. Art, have you got any Knox Twenty (size 7 - 7-1/8)?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Havershaw, you got beat to the punch on the Knox 20's. I just sold one to a "regular" on Oaklahoma that wants my finest when i find them. It's hard to beat a good Knox. I don't have any others, but I do have a Stetson clear beaver your size. It's on the site, last hat on the page. I think it's 7 1/8, not sure though without looking again.
Congrats on the finds..

havershaw

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words regarding the Cavanagh. I'll measure the crown height when it gets back from having the ribbon and sweatband installed (the ribbon is just sitting on there in that awful photo).

The thanks goes to Fedora for that hat. His block is the reason that hat looks so great. I am nervous that the crown is now too tall for the brim, but I guess we'll see when it gets back...if only it didn't have that little hole in the crown!!!

Art, from this day forward, I am always up for a Knox Twenty. Did they come in different weights, or is a Knox Twenty a Knox Twenty? Mine is extremely lightweight, much like the brown Cavanagh pictured above - both of which, incidentally, are thinner and floppier than Optimos, from my recollection (not talking any trash on Optimos, mind you - just comparing!!!). I have three Cavanaghs now, and they are all very different weights. one is just like the Knox Twenty, and the other two are a lot thicker.

That brown Cavanagh will be back from the hatter on Friday, and I will bring it to LA with me as well.

havershaw

Practically Family
Art, I would love to think that the size of the clear beaver is a typo on your site - it says 7-1/4. A little too big for me (believe me, I'm stuck with a 7-1/4 Cavanagh that's too big for me as well).

havershaw

Practically Family
thanks!

It's been reblocked since then (it was waaaay too small for me and I had to reblock it or I would not have been able to wear it), and now it needs a thinner black ribbon because I lost a little crown height and the proprtions don't look quite right.

But it's a great hat. I think I got it for $8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass